Texas Hunting Forum

What is your preferred electronic collar?

Posted By: pharmvet

What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/11/16 01:24 AM

I have never used one, but may try it this year. What is your favorite one? Thanks
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/11/16 01:52 AM

Dogtra.
Posted By: Stoneface

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/11/16 03:35 AM

It is a toss up between Tri-Tronics and Dogtra. Tri-Tronics was bought out by Garmin not so long ago, so their good sense stuff is a thing of the past. Dogtra is where I would go, the Edge is the unit I'd go with.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/11/16 04:12 AM

I went with the Garmin 550 two collar. Have had zero issues. I do have dogtra remote release and the only complaint is battery life. I wish they held a charge longer.

Its all preference. A chevy vs ford decision.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/11/16 01:50 PM

DT Systems 1820 H20
Posted By: MS1454

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/11/16 03:01 PM

Dogtra
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/11/16 04:21 PM

I use the two dog Sporting Dog 1800 Sporthunter. This is either the 5th or 6th season I have had it. I had Batteries Plus replace the battery pak in the collars and transmitter and it is as dependable and nice a set as any I have ever used. It has performed remarkably well.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/11/16 07:15 PM

They have all come a long way over the years. The price is half of the amount you once paid. A few have gone by the wayside. The first ones were bulky and time consuming to change the intensity. You had to change the settings at the collar.
Posted By: bradtown

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/11/16 09:29 PM

Tri-Tronics
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/11/16 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: bradtown
Tri-Tronics

They don't make them anymore. My last one went out on me after three years and Collat Clinic would not work on it.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/12/16 12:26 AM

I have dogtras.
Posted By: kindall

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/12/16 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: bradtown
Tri-Tronics

That was my favorite, when it was still tritronics.
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/12/16 04:37 PM

I have a garmin and have been happy with it so far
Posted By: CSF

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/12/16 09:41 PM

Dogtra edge
Posted By: Sherpa Dog

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/13/16 02:19 PM

Tri-Tronics!!! Which is now Garmin/ Tri-Tronics
Posted By: Judd

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/13/16 03:30 PM

Tri-Tronics/Garmin would be my first choice.

Having said that my Tri-Tronics G3 took a crap before this duck season (it was 6 years old) and I found a smoking deal on a SportDog...up to this point I'm happy with it.
Posted By: kbobbjr

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/14/16 03:35 AM

Sportdog. The 1825 is a great hunting collar.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/14/16 02:50 PM

Garmin/Tritronics...you mean there is another brand???
I use the Alpha and run 5-6 dogs, can track and train.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: blanked

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/14/16 11:52 PM

I hated tritronics when it was tritronics

Sport dog now
Posted By: Sweese

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/15/16 12:52 AM

I use the Sportdog 425s/wetland camo and it works great. It has gone through lots of abuse, and lots of water without any issues. The collar and transmitter is small and lightweight. It has 16 intensity levels and I have only used 1-5.

If you want to run other devices, such as bird launchers you may want to look at a dogtra transmitter that can run launchers and collars. IMO, Dogtra makes the best remote launcher receivers/controllers.
Posted By: Costa333

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/19/16 08:56 PM

I have the Garmin and it has been great. I like that it can do the tone and vibrate also.

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/20/16 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Costa333
I have the Garmin and it has been great. I like that it can do the tone and vibrate also.

All the other major brands have that same functionality.
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/20/16 04:34 AM

Does sport dog contribute any to the dog games? Tritronics/garmin, dogtra do. I hunt with dogtra because of transmitter size, train with tritronics. 2 spare transmitters, and 3 spare receivers.

Robby
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/20/16 06:14 AM

Is the on point / treed function worth the money ?

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/20/16 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
Does sport dog contribute any to the dog games? Tritronics/garmin, dogtra do. I hunt with dogtra because of transmitter size, train with tritronics. 2 spare transmitters, and 3 spare receivers.

Robby

Yes they do. However, I don't let a company's contribution drive the products I buy (unless they do in fact make a quality product).
Posted By: Strongbad

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/23/16 12:06 AM

SportDog.
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/23/16 03:35 AM

Kevin, you want me to believe sport dog contributes what garmin/tritronics does? Or dogtra? Come on.. we all know they're entry level.

Robby

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 01/23/16 03:53 AM

Actually you'd be surprised however, I never said they contribute dollar for dollar what the other companies do.
Posted By: Migillicutty

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 02/02/16 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61

Robby

Same for me. I got a Dogtra this season for hunting because the transmitter is so light and compact (easy to hang around my neck). I train with a tri/tronics where I like the the larger tubular design of the transmitter. I have heard good things about the Dogtra Edge RT from guys in the training group that have them.

Sportdog is junk and everyone who has been around for a while knows it. There is tri/tronics-Dogtra and everything else.

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 02/06/16 06:40 PM

I guess I haven't been around long enough or I'm not smart enough. Either way, I'll put my Sportdog collar up against any of the others.
Posted By: shock_n_awe

Re: What is your preferred electronic collar? - 02/08/16 11:16 PM

I've got the Dogtra one dog (button on the side for vibration), an old school 2 dog tri-tronics multi-sport, and just recently upgraded to the Garmin Alpha 100.

I use the Dogtra for my lab, multi-sport for working pointers on pen raised, and the alpha on big open country hunts or when running more than 2 dogs at any one time.

Personally, love the Dogtra for ease of use. I'm still getting used to the alpha. Lots of moving parts, but awesome.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum