Texas Hunting Forum

Best Blood Dog Breed?

Posted By: H-Town Hunter

Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/20/15 06:56 AM

Howdy! I was just wondering what the best breed of dog is to be used for tracking blood. Probably not in the market just yet to get one but you can never start your research to early! Thanks for all the help and if yall had any tips on how to train as well that would be great. Thanks again.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/20/15 07:11 AM

What's the best truck? Ford, Chevy, or dodge. No such thing really, it's something you'll have to decide yourself. No matter negative you pick, it will be "the best" to you.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/20/15 12:46 PM

Bloodhound
Posted By: kshorthairs

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/20/15 01:14 PM

I recently watched a Boykin Spaniel work. IMPRESSIVE!
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/20/15 06:12 PM

Look at this breed Deutscher Wachtelhund I have one and very impressed
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/20/15 06:40 PM

Wiener dog, not joking. Lots seem to like German terrier as well, tons of grit too .
Posted By: H-Town Hunter

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/20/15 09:30 PM

troll^
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/20/15 10:43 PM

Saw an outdoor program in Africa and the guide used Jack Russell's. did great.
Posted By: Ringman

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/20/15 11:16 PM

Saw a program on a canned pheasant hunt and I think the guy had a Brittany, a lab, and a jack Russell. The Jack Russell retrieved all the downed birds. The lab and Brittany didn't have a chance.
Posted By: TechHunter

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/22/15 01:43 PM

Lots of good ones out there. I use Lacys and they have been awesome. It's very natural to them so not much training required other than mock trails. Just get a good handle on them.
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/27/15 04:22 PM

For blood work, an obvious answer is a blood hound. For generic all purpose hunting with excellence in tracking, a Drahthaar (German WIRE Haired Pointer) is at the top of the list. Do a search on them, you will come away impressed, quite possibly the best all around hunting dog available.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 10/27/15 05:04 PM

Get you a catahoula and be done with it.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 11/06/15 01:26 AM

I really like drahthaars, they are versatile hunting dogs, need to be hunted ,not left in a kennel.
but about any breed will track blood, just some are better at it than others, some dogs have a cold nose, some don't. Forrest
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 11/19/15 07:26 AM

Our Blackmouth Curr has done great
Catahoula
Jack Russels
Dashounds
blue Lacys
and several others not all dogs in those breeds will work however, just like with bird dogs some are better than others in all breeds
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 11/19/15 11:59 AM

Bloodhound is probably best.

If you want more than just a blood dog look at the versatile dogs. I prefer the Deutsch Drahthaar. Don't get the imitation German Wirehair Pointer. Get the REAL thing a DD.
Posted By: duckdown

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 11/20/15 10:44 AM

I use beagles, very smart and easy to train.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 11/21/15 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Posted By: Luke27

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 11/21/15 07:07 PM

Wiener dogs are popular, bloodhounds, Lacys, bavarian mountain hounds, beagles, terriers. Check out texasbloodtrackers they have a website and a facebook page. Each breed has its pros and cons. Find which suits you best. I can tell ya bloodhounds are stubborn as hell but have great noses
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 11/21/15 07:17 PM

ive got some really nice Catahoula cross pups that will make good track dogs.
Posted By: SolomonRiverOutfitters

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 12/03/15 06:32 PM

We use Lacy dogs. They are great dogs with no health problems! State dog of TX, not high maintenance at all.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 12/04/15 02:58 PM

Whatever works best for you is the best tracking dog.
Posted By: Reich

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 12/22/15 04:21 PM

My Catahoula is a tracking machine, but he's a big boy and don't like other dogs.
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 12/23/15 12:22 AM

Posted By: arandy

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 12/25/15 12:31 PM

I have had blood trailers of several varieties, mostly mixed breed. Probably the most consistent are pure bred Labs or a Lab crossed with another intelligent breed. Right now we use a half Lab half Springer and he gets the job done very well.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Best Blood Dog Breed? - 12/25/15 06:38 PM

I know nothing of blood tracking dogs. But two friends i have own drathaars and wow they are tracking machines as well as other things. Also another friend has a Weimar, cut rate for the birds but will find a blood trail in anything anywhere.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum