Texas Hunting Forum

Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP

Posted By: BobbyS413

Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/23/15 03:22 PM

I'm a newbie to quail hunting. I went out last week for the 1st time and hunted with a Brit, an amazing dog. I'm wanting to get a pup that's a true hunter but also has to be good with small children. Can anyone help me on a brit or a gsp, which would be better around kids? Thanks for any inpute.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/23/15 03:35 PM

Brit can't be beat. Socialize them early with the kids and they will be fine.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/23/15 03:38 PM

Britt
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/23/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Britt
Posted By: Boss1

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/23/15 04:31 PM

CC--Nice looking Britt.Will be in themarket for a liver/white or liver/roan this summer. Prefer the Iron Mike line if possible. Any ideas? Bobby get a Britt

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/23/15 04:36 PM

Can't help with the Iron Mike lines but www.flyingoranch.com is where all our Britts are from. Ed has some great pups.
Posted By: Boss1

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/23/15 04:41 PM

Thanks. I will check them out.

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/23/15 05:31 PM

Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated. I will be checking out flyingoranch
Posted By: epp838

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/24/15 05:19 AM

Tag
Posted By: kindall

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/24/15 04:17 PM

NSTRA has some litters on the website
http://www.nstra.org/classifieds.htm#brittanys
Posted By: Bob Bean

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/24/15 08:28 PM

Britt vote as well. I've had both. We had GSPs for over 20 years and we loved those dogs but I got a Britt this time and I'll never have anything else but a French Britt moving forward. Key difference from my experience is that the Britt is a far softer dog to work with. they take very little to correct and they seem to be less hard headed. My GSPs all were sweet and wanted to please but they could get so dang hard headed and you would just about have to wack them with a brick, as a figure of speech, to get them to listen. My britt has a far greater desire to please and is very attached. As hunters they are both great, the britt works much closer and is wired a little higher in field energy excitement. Both need a lot of exercise and if not given good weekly runs the britt gets edgy, my GSPs tore the house up or would dig out, jump out or climb out.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/24/15 08:59 PM

+1 on the Britt. You should also look into Vizlas but Britts are hard to beat if your looking for a pointing breed. Check with Bunny Brown: http://www.highpointkennels.com

I hunted over a young female that she bred and trained and I was very impressed. That little dog could hunt!
Posted By: Northtxarcher

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/25/15 04:58 AM

Go visit both breeds and spend a little time with the two pup breeds. You'll find out that your going to be chosen, not the other way around. One will speak to you more so than the other and you'll know that's the one..

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/25/15 01:45 PM

Has anyone heard of Gabriel Mills Brittany Spaniels? He is just north of Austin. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Posted By: Swimmer

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/27/15 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Britt
Britt

Another vote for Britt! Got mine last year.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/27/15 12:51 PM

Just to be obstinate GSP. I don't think you'll go wrong with a Britt or GSP laugh
Posted By: Swimmer

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 02/28/15 05:13 PM

Can't help with the Iron Mike lines but www.flyingoranch.com is where all our Britts are from. Ed has some great pups.

A word of warning regarding Flying "O" Ranch: I did business with them last year - I even had a deposit down on a puppy after seeing recommendations from this forum. After I asked Ed multiple times about their puppies veterinarian care (my wife is a vet herself, so this is important to us), I received the response: "I have been raising Bird dogs and training for over 60 years. I don't need A vet to tell me about my dogs. you can have him checked out and if he finds A problem I will gladly refund %100 of your money."

I'm sure he has some great pointers, but this is not someone that I wanted to do business with. After I ate my deposit, the breeder that I wound up using also had some negative feedback on Flying "O" as well.

S

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 03/01/15 03:13 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I ended up putting a deposit on a Brit from Gabriel Mills Brittanys just north of Austin
Posted By: blanked

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 03/01/15 01:34 PM

P
Originally Posted By: Swimmer

A word of warning regarding Flying "O" Ranch: I did business with them last year - I even had a deposit down on a puppy after seeing recommendations from this forum. After I asked Ed multiple times about their puppies veterinarian care (my wife is a vet herself, so this is important to us), I received the response: "I have been raising Bird dogs and training for over 60 years. I don't need A vet to tell me about my dogs. you can have him checked out and if he finds A problem I will gladly refund %100 of your money."

I'm sure he has some great pointers, but this is not someone that I wanted to do business with. After I ate my deposit, the breeder that I wound up using also had some negative feedback on Flying "O" as well.

S

I think this is pretty normal. I don't see a problem

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 03/01/15 08:06 PM

S

Do what you gotta do, Ed knows his stuff, and he was right. He raises healthy pups with a guarantee out of great bloodlines. Not much more you can ask for IMO. There is no need for a vet unless there is problem. He knows how to take care of a litter of pups.
Posted By: Famous Flames

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 03/23/15 09:02 PM

Brittany without a doubt.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 03/23/15 11:00 PM

S

Do what you gotta do, Ed knows his stuff, and he was right. He raises healthy pups with a guarantee out of great bloodlines. Not much more you can ask for IMO. There is no need for a vet unless there is problem. He knows how to take care of a litter of pups.
Ed knows more than most vets. Sometimes folks are vets for cats and miniature house dogs and don't know sic 'em from come here about a bird dog. (Bill's retriever is an exception) up
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 03/24/15 10:25 PM

The best dog I've ever owned was a Brittany. The only exposure I've had to GSP's are friends' dogs and that was enough for me haha.
Posted By: jakethomen

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 08/20/15 02:49 PM

How do Britts do as retrievers? I KNOW that they aren't primarily retrievers and can't compare with a lab, but my wife doesn't want a lab and a boykin is to expensive.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Newbie, need help choosing a pup. Brittany or GSP - 08/20/15 04:56 PM

That's a broad question, get one from good parents that have proven themselves as good retriever and there you go. Same can be said with any breed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum