Texas Hunting Forum

Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4

Posted By: Sniper John

Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 07:23 AM

Part four and the last page the hunting road trip with my Vizsla Dash Rip Rock. The entire photo essay from TX to CO, now KS starts here. http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5379960 It's a long one so I broke it up into separate pages.

Hunting in Kansas was hot, so hunting times were short. Walking back along a creek to keep Dash cool, we walked into these two patches of plants that held all kinds of Dove just flying around like they were hopped up on goofballs. It was easy pickins. Then I noticed a skunk smell and thought it best to get out of there.

I love hunting Kansas. You just never know what your going to see or run across.

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 07:23 AM

You ever been Largemouth Bass fishing where your not catching many fish and schools of Sandbass keep rising in the lake nearby tempting you. What do you do, you go catch a limit of Sandbass. At least I do. This is what happened with my Prairie Grouse hunting. I have never seen so many Dove in my life. Every tree was full of them. Every field with grain had birds coming and going sometimes in waves. So what did I do. Shoot limits of dove everyday during my time in Kansas. It was fun.

After 17 days of hunting and travel time, Dash was tired and out like a light the entire drive home.

I unfortunately had to shave my beard when I got home and Dash then was lent out to a friend to hunt in Montana for over two weeks where Dash was hunting with his Mother, Sister, and Uncle Abe. You will notice Dash is not in this picture. They said when they let the dogs out for the picture, Dash ran off hunting as usual.

Dash is home now, but pretty bored after all that. I will have him out hunting again soon. One last picture of Dash showing off his teardrop tattoo.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 10:34 AM

Enjoyed the pics and the read.
Posted By: Robalero

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 11:27 AM

How awesome! Thanks for sharing and great pics!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 12:08 PM

that's amazing John, thanks for sharing
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 12:36 PM

Sniper John,
No words are good enuf to reply to your story, except to say well done my friend. I thoroughly enjoyed your hunting trip photos and narrative. Better than any hunting magazine article I've every read. Whatever THF is paying you is not enough. smile
Thank you,
Dodge

p.s. Dash is one hellofva dog. Your personal best image of him on pt with the rainbow is beautiful.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 12:55 PM

It certainly is a lot different trip than what I do. I don't see many hunters that put in all that time driving and scouting , finally put it together and figure it out Then move on to another place next morning

Very nice versatile hunter in dash
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 01:05 PM

Sniper John is the man. Great pictures.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 01:48 PM

WOW! What a great trip.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Enjoyed the pics and the read.

What a great trip!!!
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 02:17 PM

This had to be totally awesome. Wow how fortunate you are and generous to share your story. Thanks!
Posted By: huck18

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 02:49 PM

Awesome write up and pics. I'm heading up to Kansas in a couple weeks. You should have bagged up some of that stinky weed to help pay for your fuel cost. happy3
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 03:48 PM

That was quite the write up. I stumbled upon 2, then had to go back for the rest. What a trip.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/26/14 03:58 PM

Living the dream my friend... Great story and pictures.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/27/14 01:41 AM

Great stuff. The skunk smell may have been those plants. That looks like pot to me. You may have hunted through someone's personal stash. eeks333
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/27/14 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: 4Weight
Great stuff. The skunk smell may have been those plants. That looks like pot to me. You may have hunted through someone's personal stash. eeks333

Yeah, think I see the buds on the stems actually...
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/27/14 04:34 AM

Great pics.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/27/14 12:34 PM

Great write up, and excellent photos.

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/27/14 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

Yeah, think I see the buds on the stems actually...

I know the Dove sure like it. Dash Rip Rock was acting all happy trying to eat it.. whistle

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/27/14 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: blanked
It certainly is a lot different trip than what I do. I don't see many hunters that put in all that time driving and scouting , finally put it together and figure it out Then move on to another place next morning

Very nice versatile hunter in dash

This trip was a little more planned than what I am used to in that I had two cabins reserved from the forest service and one state park cabin. Normally I would be more mobile. I would like to have stayed on the blue grouse a couple more days once I found them. I would have liked to have had more time to hunt those Colombian Sharptails. I would have liked to stay in Colorado another day to hunt Ptarmigan. I did get tired of shooting and eating Dove every day in Kansas and because of the last minute boundary change with the Prairie Chicken zone it was a very long drive to hunt those. I would have moved, but was unable to get a refund on the last days of the cabin there. Otherwise I would have gone to Oklahoma to hunt resident geese for a couple days. Opening season dates were staggered too and limited some hunting opportunity.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/27/14 01:43 PM

Great pics as usual. You are livin the dream for sure.
Posted By: erathar

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/28/14 02:39 AM

This is the best thread I have ever read on the THF. You are the man SniperJohn.
Posted By: rl5280

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/28/14 05:14 PM

Thanks for the terrific story and photos! I'm glad you had a good trip to Colorado. I'm jealous even though I live down the road from where you're hunting. I'm pretty sure I also applied for a permit on the state trust land where you hunted sharptails (didn't get drawn). Just curious, at what elevation were you finding blue grouse and what were they eating?

That's not anyone's personal stash. Hemp was a major agricultural product in Kansas before the federal government outlawed marijuana in the '20s or '30s. Hemp still grows wild along drainages all over Kansas. In case you were wondering, it won't do anything if you smoke it (or at least that's what the people in Kansas say).
Posted By: Matagorda Mud Pig

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 10/31/14 05:43 PM

Well done. Article, trip and from this glimpse--life.
Posted By: KKS

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 11/07/14 03:28 PM

is the person you lent him out to in MT the lady from Louisiana? think I recognize that sportsmobile. I ran into her in the dairy queen up there. If so, he is a lucky dog. She has some stellar access locked up around there.

Re: Dash's TX CO KS 2014 bird hunting road trip #4 - 11/08/14 04:58 PM

KKS,
It was her husband Eddie. Last December Adele passed away after a courageous and fierce battle with ovarian cancer. She was an ambassador and promoter of the Vizsla breed and one of the nicest, most generous, most honest persons I have ever known. A mentor and good friend to my wife and I. So much that it inspired my wife to co-found a 501c3 Charity in Adele's name with 100% of the proceeds going to the MD Anderson Ovarian Cancer Research Center and the Hospice of Wichita Falls. If anyone in the North Dallas is interested? If you have dinner tonight at the Tuscany Italian Restaurant in Farmers Branch, 25% of the dinner guest bill will be donated to the charity.
http://michelle-adele.org/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michelle-Adele-Foundation/1462217364036812

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum