Texas Hunting Forum

Dog insurance

Posted By: Brother in-law

Dog insurance - 09/30/14 02:59 AM

Is it any good or just a scam? Ive heard both ways
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Dog insurance - 09/30/14 03:17 AM

I never had it in the past, and it never fails that at some point, it would've come in handy.

I've got it for my new pup. As hard charging as he is, I know it'll be a matter of time before it'll come in handy.

Many of the policies don't cover "hunting incidents" so be careful when researching and reporting injuries.

Re: Dog insurance - 09/30/14 03:22 AM

That will be easy with this dog.

Re: Dog insurance - 09/30/14 03:22 AM

What is the best brand ?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dog insurance - 09/30/14 11:58 AM

I's not for me. I'm already ahead of the game.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Dog insurance - 09/30/14 01:12 PM

I went with petplan. I haven't had any first-hand experiences with them yet, but have read pleasant reviews about them. They were also one of the cheaper plans. I believe you can get cheaper plans for "major incidents" only.

One option that folks could evaluate is setting up your own separate account and paying the same as insurance $20-30 a month which is about ~$300 a year and $3,000 after 10 years if it never gets used. Then use it as needed, and you can get "ahead of the game" if never used.

From there, it is a gamble to guess if your pet will use that much and if insurance is worth it. For me, I anticipate my dog to have to go to the vet at least once or twice for an injury every 2 years, and possibly a major surgery/incident/cancer/etc within 10 years with RX medicine each time. It is likely that even after my deductibles, total bills will be well over $3,000.

That is why I chose to get insurance with this dog. I hope I never have to use it, but not gonna take that gamble. Plus, with insurance, it is a lot easier to say yeah, fix 8 year old Fido even if it is gonna cost over $5,000.

I've never had a dog that I couldn't have spent $3k in vet bills over 10 years.
Posted By: Guns Up

Re: Dog insurance - 10/02/14 12:22 AM

what company do yall use for dog insurance?
Posted By: Brad B

Re: Dog insurance - 10/02/14 03:11 PM

You talking health insurance or mortality ?
Posted By: duckhunter55

Re: Dog insurance - 10/03/14 01:01 AM

I had VPI for 10 yrs. they have different levels. I paid about $500 a year. you get about half back for vac and other things. If you've ever known anyone that had to go to the clinic on Trinity mills and the toll road with their dog you will be getting some ins.
Posted By: Jordan A

Re: Dog insurance - 10/15/14 06:47 PM

I went with Petplan. I sleep better at night knowing I have it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum