Texas Hunting Forum

German Wirehaired Pointer

Posted By: TxHillCntry21

German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/26/14 02:08 PM

Guys,
looking to pick up a new hunting dog this year. Very interested in the GWP. Looking for any information I can obtain. Any information on breed or breeders would be appreciated. Would like to pick one up this fall or winter. Thanks for the help
Posted By: Adub2123

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/26/14 05:17 PM

I would HIGHLY recommend them!!!! I am on second one and love them. They are great around the family and awesome in the field or in the blind. Are you looking for a puppy or started dog?

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/26/14 06:23 PM

Looking for a puppy, just finished building a house with plenty of room for a dog. Have always been a Lab guy but really interested in getting a GWP. Beautiful dogs, ready to start a family and have a good dog for kids... and my hunting habits of course.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/26/14 08:00 PM

I would get a Deutsch Drahthaar and not a German Wirehaired Pointer. There are strict breed standards with the DD and there are no standards with the GWP. I am not saying you wont get a good GWP, but the chances are much better with a DD.

I can point you towards plenty of good DD breeders.

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/26/14 10:29 PM

definitely interested. please send any information you have on DD breeders my way. Live close to Beaumont but traveling is no concern when it comes to me and a dog.
Posted By: SterndogKennels

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/27/14 02:41 AM

There are excellent bred GWP's out there as well. The DD is a strict guideline yes, he is correct. Although, if you are not worried about your dog killing a caged raccoon as one of their qualifying attributes among other unique tests that can be argued as not applicable in some scenarios. No offence to a DD owner but they in a sense are GWP owners that "hold their pinky out" smile then the GWP will suffice and exceed all expectations. If you would like to see some quality GWP's run and see them first hand I can put you in touch with some upcoming national shoot to retrieve trails where a few of the best will be showcased. Both are great and one in the same. Some great breeders are:
Jason Norton "Norton Kennels out of S. Dakota
Greg Dixon out of Wisconsin "Backwoods Kennels"
Ron Wilson out of Georgia "Wilson Kennels"
Cascade Kennels out of Oregon
Bill Kennedy "Smoke Creek Kennels" in Colorado
Bone Point Kennels out of Utah
I do own multiple GWP's as well but they are bred to run trials and are normally a bit to big of range for the average foot hunter. Let me know if I can help in any other way. I mean no disrespect to the DD hunter. Their breeding requirements are great but a well bred Wirehair I will put up against a DD in a field any day of the week.
Geoff Sterner
sterndogkennels.com
Posted By: coolie

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/27/14 07:58 AM

No offence to a DD owner but they in a sense are GWP owners that "hold their pinky out"

rofl
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/27/14 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: coolie
No offence to a DD owner but they in a sense are GWP owners that "hold their pinky out"

rofl

He said no offense, so he's good, right? roflmao
Posted By: My best friend has a tail

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/27/14 01:15 PM

Once you buy your 'DD' or GWP you need to get yourself an Ugly Dog t-shirt to be fully accepted within the breeder's group. roflmao
Posted By: super

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/27/14 02:00 PM

Recommend Greg Dixon out of Wisconsin. His GWP's can really run. I think that AKC gwp's and DD both have nice dogs to offer. I would agree that the odds of getting a good DD is better because of the breeding standards than that from any GWP breeder unless the GWP breeder has proven blood lines. You just need to do your homework and research the type of GWP you would prefer. AKC or DD. Good Luck.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/27/14 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

rofl

Honestly GWP and DD owners poke fun at each other. We poke them becaue they aren't DDs and they poke us becaue they aren't DDs.

Like stated above. You can get an excellent GWP if you do your homework. If you just go buy one from a breeder (DD or GWP) without doing your homework, you have a better chance of getting a good one with DD. That being said, there are a couple of DD breeders I would not buy from.

Do your homework and buy from a good breeder and you will get a great dog. Just remember they both come from a great line of dogs, Deutsch Drahthaars, but one of them didn't meet the breed requirements. grin
Posted By: coolie

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/27/14 05:06 PM

My German isn't that good, but doesn't Deutsch Drahthaar mean German Wirehair? grin
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/27/14 09:45 PM

Not familiar will killings of caged racoons either.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/28/14 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By: J McCoy
Not familiar will killings of caged racoons either.

Me neither, sounds like the person who said that isn't all that familiar with it either, just something they heard about.

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/28/14 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

rofl

And wear funny hats and lederhosen.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/28/14 07:13 AM

This is one of the best articles i have seen that explains the differences.
http://www.gundogmag.com/breeds/breed-profile-german-wirehaired-pointer/

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/28/14 10:13 PM

With the remark to the "caged raccoon" VDD in every other country but North America the dog must kill a "fanged varmint" Do your homework gents this was a requirement until it was outlawed in N. America....

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/28/14 10:14 PM

With the remark to the "caged raccoon" VDD in every other country but North America the dog must kill a "fanged varmint" Do your homework gents this was a requirement until it was outlawed in N. America....
Posted By: Tmec

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/28/14 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: SterndogKennels

If you know how the Germans hunt their dogs (wildcats & boars) you can see why this test was relevant.

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/29/14 02:07 AM

Right, but the varmint must be dispatched during a hunt, and be witness by another licensed hunter, so it has nothing to do with killing anything caged or any other kind of set up situation.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/29/14 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Tmec

If you know how the Germans hunt their dogs (wildcats & boars) you can see why this test was relevant.

That is a handsome animal in this picture. I have had the pleasure of training both breeds. They are brilliant animals.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 08/30/14 02:35 AM

Get a DD you won't be sorry. Forrest
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum