Texas Hunting Forum

Micro chip yearly cost

Posted By: My best friend has a tail

Micro chip yearly cost - 06/04/14 12:56 AM

I recently micro-chipped my young GSP by PVS for Home Again. When I went on line to HomeAgain.com to register her they wanted $17.99 per year. Is this common?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Micro chip yearly cost - 06/04/14 01:54 AM

When I chipped my pup it was a single lifetime cost. Not sure the service though. Just put a deposit on another pup and we will chop her too. Check with your vet and see if they do other chips with a lifetime single fee.
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: Micro chip yearly cost - 06/04/14 02:45 AM

I have used home again before and I believe that the cost is only for all of the "perks" that come along with chipping with that particular company. Your dogs name and information will stay in the database forever whether you sign up with the program or not but you just don't get the other perks. If I remember correctly the offer a monetary reward and put out an APB if your dog is lost and also offer a large sum for stolen, permanently lost, or deceased dogs. Look into it further because you may like what they have to offer for the price.
Posted By: seethemkillthem

Re: Micro chip yearly cost - 06/04/14 01:42 PM

^^^^^^^^^
Correct. The initial base charge covers the dog for life. The yearly fee is for the extras. I have 2 dogs chipped through them and my sons companion dog has wondered off twice in 8 years and both times we got a call because of the chip so I would HIGHLY recommend getting your dog micro chipped.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Micro chip yearly cost - 06/05/14 03:44 AM

I used a different brand with my pup, but I believe the only cost needed is the initial cost to register. Make sure you go ahead and register and pay through the company you bought it from. I was curious about the cheap route, and tried registering him on a "free pet registry" site. I wanted to see if it worked and had my vet try to look him up through the database they use, and it didn't show up.

It's easy to do and I recommend people who have a pet chipped to have your vet scan periodically, and make sure they can find the correct information.
Posted By: WatersFowler

Re: Micro chip yearly cost - 06/12/14 06:11 AM

What is the best way to change the info on the chip? I have moved since my dog was chipped. Can the vet do that?
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: Micro chip yearly cost - 06/12/14 02:46 PM

With most you can just go to the manufacturers website and update your account.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum