Texas Hunting Forum

German Wirehaired Pointer

Posted By: Baylor_Bears

German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/27/14 09:54 PM

Was talking to a buddy today in lab, and he mentioned he was finally getting him a dog. Have bird hunted with him a few times, great guy and extremely competent. He really wants a German Wirehaired, but said he was having problems locating a breeder here in texas. Do any of yall know any breeders in the State?
Posted By: wyowires

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/27/14 10:06 PM

Matt Brown in Nocona.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/28/14 12:03 AM

There are a few

http://www.vddgnabrc.org/breeders/
Posted By: silverranger

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/28/14 03:28 PM

If anyone need stud service I have a 2 year old german wire hair, located in canton tx
Posted By: kid

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/28/14 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: silverranger
If anyone need stud service I have a 2 year old german wire hair, located in canton tx
What health clearances and titles does he have? Pedigree?
Posted By: Keechi Kid

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/28/14 05:22 PM

My brother will be having a litter of drahthaars in about a month.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/28/14 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Keechi Kid
My brother will be having a litter of drahthaars in about a month.

Where at? I didn't see any listed inTexas

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/28/14 07:31 PM

Buffalo, TX. The kennel registration hasn't come back from Germany yet.

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/28/14 07:45 PM

Yes he registered, up to date on all health records

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/28/14 08:04 PM

silverranger they are asking for a much more detailed answer there. To put it somewhat bluntly they are asking why should they use your dog as a stud. By health clearances they want to know among other things had he had his hips, shoulders, and elbows certified. They are asking about his pedigree to get some idea of his genetic background. They are asking about titles to find out if the dog has been subjected to some type of independent third party for evaluation of his hunting abilities.

These are just some things to keep in mind when holding out a dog as a stud. My apologies if these are all things you are aware of and your first answer was made in haste.

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/28/14 09:07 PM

Don't believe it was made in haste, sorry to offend you keechi

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 03/28/14 10:38 PM

Oh I'm not offended. I hope it didn't come out that way. Probably my fault for trying to type that out on an iPhone. I just didn't want to sound like I was talking down to you. Was just trying to make the point that there is a lot more that needs to be known in order to make breeding decisions.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 04/01/14 11:29 AM

Unless you know a really good kennel with proven dogs, I would not get a German Wirehair Pointer. I would get a Deutsch Drahthaar. They must be proven to be bred.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 04/05/14 11:55 PM

Like stinkbelly said. their is a big difference in the TWO breeds. german wirehair pointer is AKC.(US blood) Drahthaar are VDA (german breed ) tested & proven. Very large difference. I would go with a Drahthaar, I have had them sence 1980. very intelegent dogs. Forrest

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 04/06/14 12:08 AM

sorry for the typo ment to write VDD not VDA . Forrest
Posted By: jsix321

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 04/13/14 06:03 PM

Get a Drathaar, there great hunters of all game and theirs a good support system behind them to help you with your training. You also know what your getting with one. Besides you can pretty much hunt anything with them, or at least we do. Here's mine and a buddies after a cold duck hunt.

Posted By: RayB

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 04/13/14 07:43 PM

I attended a VDD-GNA meeting yesterday in Manor TX, good folks for sure but one fellow from Arkansas had a monster of a dog. I didn't know that they got that tall. Some of the guys were working water retrieves and hunting planted chukkas. Yep, that is a very versatile pooch.

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 04/13/14 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
I attended a VDD-GNA meeting yesterday in Manor TX, good folks for sure but one fellow from Arkansas had a monster of a dog. I didn't know that they got that tall. Some of the guys were working water retrieves and hunting planted chukkas. Yep, that is a very versatile pooch.

Yep we missed it. We were suppose to be there and entered the chukkar challange but my buddy had a pipe bust in his house so we stayed to deal with that. We really wanted to go since my buddy was getting an award for how well his dog did in the VGP.

On a side note, was the big dog your talking about have an owner with a strong accent? If so I've seen that dog at a training weekend. Also, how did the dogs do in the chukkar challenge?
Posted By: RayB

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 04/13/14 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: jsix321
On a side note, was the big dog your talking about have an owner with a strong accent? If so I've seen that dog at a training weekend. Also, how did the dogs do in the chukkar challenge?

Not any stronger accent than anyone else I've met from AR. He said it was actually his sons dog, he was out Vance's pair in Cedar Park. That dogs litter mate was also there and was way smaller.
Never heard any thing about the challenge but a bunch of guys were cleaning birds. There was a trainer there from OK. who was pretty interesting and had some different ideas on training.
Congrats to your friend by the way

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 04/14/14 12:05 AM

jsix good looking dogs. Forrest

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 04/14/14 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Originally Posted By: jsix321

Not any stronger accent than anyone else I've met from AR. He said it was actually his sons dog, he was out Vance's pair in Cedar Park. That dogs litter mate was also there and was way smaller.
Never heard any thing about the challenge but a bunch of guys were cleaning birds. There was a trainer there from OK. who was pretty interesting and had some different ideas on training.
Congrats to your friend by the way

Yea different dog than the one I was thinking of, the owners from another country.

The chukkar challenge is a timed event to run whoever's dog signed up for it.

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer - 04/14/14 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Drahthaar
jsix good looking dogs. Forrest

Thanks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum