Texas Hunting Forum

Dog Trainers - who has experiences?

Posted By: JRJ6

Dog Trainers - who has experiences? - 03/13/14 03:11 PM

I am getting a new lab puppy in April. I wanted to get thoughts on when to setup professional training? I live in the DFW area. Does anyone know of good trainers in the area? Who are some trainers to stay away from? I want the dog to be trained for waterfowl hunting. The parents are both master hunter certified so he has hunting in his blood.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/13/14 03:26 PM

I think I would have worded the title differently.
You would be better off asking who has personal experience with trainers in your area, and were happy with the results.

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/13/14 03:46 PM

thank you for the advice
Posted By: chesterpm145

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/13/14 04:30 PM

I just took my puppy to Cripple Creek with JC. He is a really nice guy. I will keep you updated on how well he does with my puppy.
Posted By: jbois

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/13/14 05:01 PM

I recommend Angie at Tioga Retrievers

http://www.tiogaretrievers.com/
Posted By: Buck_N_Hook

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/13/14 05:55 PM

I recommend Tim, he is in Royse City
www.brushycreekretrievers.com

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/13/14 07:14 PM

Thank you all for the information!
Posted By: fowlslayer11

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/13/14 07:16 PM

I recommend Dan at Marks-A-Lot Kennels. He has a great facility and his programs are phenomenal.

He's located an hour east of Dallas! Hope this helps.
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/13/14 09:02 PM

Try the search engine. There's been a lot on this subject.

Robby
Posted By: Labman

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/13/14 11:09 PM

I think you qualify for the Tim Slattery special.
Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/14/14 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Labman
scared loser8
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/14/14 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
scared loser8

Is he still around?

Robby
Posted By: Labman

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/15/14 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
scared loser8

Is he still around?

Don't know, don't care. If he's still in business, all his clients are stupid idiots. Dude's got mad skillz when it comes to heel stomping a dog. He sucks at life....
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/17/14 08:12 PM

I sent mine to Best Retrievers in Paige, TX, outside Austin. Little bit of haul from the metroplex, but has been worth every penny to me. Matter of fact, Gator is there right now getting tuned up to run her last leg of the AKC Hunt Test. Rody and his wife Kristin live within feet of the kennels and most of their staff live on site as well.
Posted By: MKClark85

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/18/14 01:37 AM

I bought my pup, and had him trained by Jeff Chesnut at Washita Retrievers. I can't find enough good things to say about the entire experience.

Jeff is honest and fair as they come. He truly has a love for the dogs, at times some of his older client dogs stay in his house with his family.

Also, if you go to a hunt test and look at the other trainers, the majority will be dressed it street clothes and you can hear them coming from a mile away cause of the barking dogs. Jeff is always dressed professionally and his dogs are well behaved in the truck. He is truly a professional, and his dogs have the titles to prove it.

I could go on and on, but as long as Jeff is in business, I will do business with him.

I live up by the speedway, if you have any questions, between my father in law and I, we have 4 Washita dogs. I would be happy to let you meet any of them, or if you have further questions PM me. I'll do what I can to help. Good luck.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/27/14 08:43 PM

Tony Marshall with Maximum Intensity Retrievers did a great job for me last fall. He's near you in Longview. You can google his company name, he has a website. Give him a call, he's very helpful.
Posted By: Double-R

Re: Dog Trainers - who's good and who's not - 03/27/14 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MKClark85
I bought my pup, and had him trained by Jeff Chesnut at Washita Retrievers. I can't find enough good things to say about the entire experience.

Jeff is honest and fair as they come. He truly has a love for the dogs, at times some of his older client dogs stay in his house with his family.

Also, if you go to a hunt test and look at the other trainers, the majority will be dressed it street clothes and you can hear them coming from a mile away cause of the barking dogs. Jeff is always dressed professionally and his dogs are well behaved in the truck. He is truly a professional, and his dogs have the titles to prove it.

I could go on and on, but as long as Jeff is in business, I will do business with him.

I live up by the speedway, if you have any questions, between my father in law and I, we have 4 Washita dogs. I would be happy to let you meet any of them, or if you have further questions PM me. I'll do what I can to help. Good luck.

Good Old "Right" and "Left". I Think Jeff is a great guy and a great trainer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum