Texas Hunting Forum

Marks-A-Lot Trainers?

Posted By: fowlslayer11

Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/03/14 07:39 PM

I have only heard good things about Dave from friends and partners training their dog through him. I am sending my 5 month old yellow lab puppy off with him on Friday for 6 months! frown

What about y'all's opinions? Just looking for a bigger answer. All I've heard is top of the line reputations for him.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/03/14 10:37 PM

Sent you a PM

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/05/14 08:06 PM

Thank you! Anybody else have any more info regarding Dan?
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/05/14 09:58 PM

His dogs always look good at tests. That's all I can tell you.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/05/14 10:10 PM

PM sent up
Posted By: gusser brown

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/06/14 05:08 PM

PM just sent.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/06/14 06:07 PM

PM Labman, I think that is where his dog went to school.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/06/14 09:14 PM

So were the pm's positive or what?
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/06/14 10:53 PM

Mine was not positive. I hear Dan's name and cringe. I'm not going to air dirty laundry on a public forum, but I hope the OP listens to my advice. I would hate for someone else to experience what I did with him.
Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/07/14 01:31 AM

Troy Aikman used him, so he's got to be good, right?

All joking aside, I've met Dan a few times at test but I bet he wouldn't remember me. He saved my weekend once. My dog had a cut pad and with no hesitation, he took Maverick and me over to his truck and used his own EMT salve and wrap and made sure Maverick was good to go and checked on us through out the weekend.

His dogs always look ready to go at tests and he's trained some good ones. I've always thought a lot of him, as a person, since then when other pros and people were just walking by and looking.

One has to remember too, that Pros deal with a bunch of folks and they're bound to not get a long with everyone, especially when everyone wants the next Lean Mac.
Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/07/14 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: kdub
Yup. Dan trained 2 dogs for me, and probably another dozen for close friends (incuding Labman)with zero complaints. He can be a little hard on them at times, but the dogs work!

My next one will be going to Marks A Lot too. up
Posted By: gusser brown

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/08/14 12:00 AM

Not positive here either. I'd rather not get into details.
Posted By: Jordan A

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/08/14 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Leonardo
So were the pm's positive or what?

I was wondering the same thing, if no one says anything then it doesn't end up being a resource but I guess in the future people could pm those who said they had an opinion.

I can also understand people not trying to get into details or flame on a forum, I respect that and am glad those could say positive or negative.... Then again if it was positive they probably would've just said it, one could assume it was negative.
Posted By: Labman

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/08/14 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
Yup. Dan trained 2 dogs for me, and probably another dozen for close friends (incuding Labman)with zero complaints. He can be a little hard on them at times, but the dogs work!

This is a sensitive topic so I'm gunna be blunt. I know how it feels sending your lab to a bad gundog trainer and that is a mistake that I will never let happen again. Dan at Marks A Lot is a great gundog trainer.... I'm pulling the trigger on a high powered bloodline pup this yr, Marks A Lot is where he will go for training.
Posted By: Blue Tick

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/09/14 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Labman
Originally Posted By: fowlplayr

This is a sensitive topic so I'm gunna be blunt. I know how it feels sending your lab to a bad gundog trainer and that is a mistake that I will never let happen again. Dan at Marks A Lot is a great gundog trainer.... I'm pulling the trigger on a high powered bloodline pup this yr, Marks A Lot is where he will go for training.

I know what you mean. Made that same mistake myself and will never allow it to happen again as well. I don't know Dan personally, but did have some good talks with him last year at Nationals while trying to locate another dog.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/09/14 08:28 AM

Nothing but great things from me. Did a 3 month and then a year later a 5 month and was extremely happy.

Dan was always nice with me and welcomes owners to come out on weekends to help train with their dogs. You can learn quite a bit on how to handle your dog while launching some ducks and he was always willing to help.

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/12/14 03:06 PM

These responses for extremely helpful. I decided to drop off my pup last weekend with him. Although his facility may be a little under-kept and he has a LARGE amount of dogs, he showed me some amazing things.

He brought out a black lab that had just finished the 6 month Gun Dog Program which I'm putting my dog through, and I couldn't do anything but smile and how efficient and well the dog did at runs and marks, and everything. His name was Buckaroo, in case that's y'all's.

I am visiting my dog every month, or other month, and I will keep you guys updated on his progress to see if he is efficient with mine!

Thanks guys.
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Marks-A-Lot Trainers? - 03/17/14 05:11 PM

I train my own, but two years ago I kept a stud pup back from a litter after the dam died and didn't have the time the pup needed.
I live 10 minutes from Dan and he actually uses some of my tanks to train with so I stopped by. Unannounced and not even a customer yet, I watched him work a few dogs.

Brought the pup back, worked him a bit for Dan and we agreed on 3 months.

I finished him up and he is now 2, great dog.

Dan is a trainer, period. Not running for an election, he was upfront and brutally honest with all customers.

If I ever need another trainer, I will go to Dan.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum