Texas Hunting Forum

Did my dog break his tail?

Posted By: cody

Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:14 PM

I noticed the other day when he entered the water he spun around like something bit him. After that he was very hesitant to go back into the water. Today it's not really hanging limp it seems to be pointed down rigidly. He will try to wag it but stops immediately. Won't sit down.

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:15 PM

Posted By: Cast

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:19 PM

Doesn't look broken. Will he let you feel for damage?
Posted By: duckhacker

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:20 PM

Could be cold tail
Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:25 PM

Unless he hit it on something really, really, really hard, I'd put money on cold water tail.

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:29 PM

It was frigid...what does cold tail mean? Does it go away?

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:29 PM

He got ice blocked once and stayed in a little longer than normal before I bailed in and pulled him out.

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:38 PM

Cold Water Tail
http://voices.yahoo.com/understanding-cold-water-tail-dogs-1704205.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limber_tail_syndrome

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:40 PM

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/retriever-training/a-lesson-in-limber-tail

Wow...never heard of it. I've got some anti inflammatory meds I'll give him.

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:41 PM

Yea, pretty painful for the pups. NSAID's and rest should get him back to normal in a few days. If it doesn't, get him to the vet.

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 03:47 PM

Just gave him 50 mg of Rimadyl...figure I'll do that twice a day for a couple days.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 04:16 PM

Should be fine in a few days.
Posted By: Mike Murphy

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/09/13 06:18 PM

I have had this in a bunch of bird dogs and we called it limber tail. There is a gland between the base of the tail and anus that gets infected. Lift the tail and pinch the area between the tail and anus and if puss comes out it is infected. IF this is the case you will need to empty it about twice a day until it heals.

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/12/13 09:39 PM

Couple days on the drugs and he's good as new.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/12/13 09:39 PM

Cool!
Posted By: HardWired

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/12/13 11:04 PM

My dog has had this three times now. Not a single time was the water "cold".
First was the worst and lasted 3-4 days. The next two times were back to normal in a day or two.

Looks like it hurts. Bad deal. We try and keep him calm during.

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/14/13 03:24 AM

Yeah...poor sucker. I carry him everywhere with me. I was on the road when I noticed and we were at the Ritchie Brothers auction. Thanks to Tioga Retievers' tudilige he stays at heel and the moment I stop he sits beside me...only he was having hell sitting on it. So he started doing this weird squat thing instead of sitting...literally looked like he was taking a dump every time he stopped. We were walking through the main auction ring the first time he did it and this guy said "HEY YOUR DOGS ABOUT TO SH..!" I freaked out and took him outside. He walked around, peed on a bush and never showed signs of a deuce. Back inside and I hear a lady holler the same thing...again outside...nothing then I figured out what he was doing. He would literally squat with his but about 6" off the ground rather than sit on his tail. It was priceless. Poor dog.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Did my dog break his tail? - 12/14/13 06:13 PM

cold tail/rudder tail/limber tail

My lab had it last year. I think it's more like a sprained tail muscle. Anyway, she was jacked up for a few days then back to normal. Hasn't happened since.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum