Texas Hunting Forum

Squirrel Dogs?

Posted By: Coot Hammer

Squirrel Dogs? - 05/24/13 04:53 PM

Does anyone on here hunt with squirrel dogs? If so what type of dog do you hunt? I have been wanting to get a pup to mess with and have zero knowledge about them.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 05/24/13 04:57 PM

My lab/weim trees them. I wrapped his first bumper with rabbit and squirrel pelts. It's his passion now.

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 05/24/13 05:04 PM

I've got a lab that turned 1 in March that I hunted ducks all last season with and is top notch for my standards of hunting. I see him trying to go after rabbits in the back yard sometimes, and he uses his nose to find them. I wonder if I would take away from his main occupation of duck hunting by cross training other animals.

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 05/24/13 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Coot Hammer
I've got a lab that turned 1 in March that I hunted ducks all last season with and is top notch for my standards of hunting. I see him trying to go after rabbits in the back yard sometimes, and he uses his nose to find them. I wonder if I would take away from his main occupation of duck hunting by cross training other animals.

Don't know, I know my pup was leaning more towards fur until I introduced live birds. He reacts the same to both....better have a strong heal, leave it, stay command during wing season though...it could get frustrating.

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 05/24/13 05:15 PM

That's what I'm afraid of, I got a good thing going with him on ducks and have a lot of time invested in him to screw him up! I'm think about some type of Feist breed for squirrels, I just don't anybody that has or hunts with a dog to gain knowledge from.

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 05/24/13 06:14 PM

http://www.sqdog.com/

everything you need to know is here.

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 05/24/13 06:39 PM

For some reason my sign in on there in the past will not let me view anybody's post, I haven't check into why yet, but that does look like a for informative site.
Posted By: duckdown

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 05/28/13 07:50 PM

go to squirrel haters . net. its free. u have to pay for sqdog central now
Posted By: txshotgun

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 06/04/13 03:11 AM

I had a dachshund that was a great squirrel dog when I was kid first hunting them. Miss squirrel hunting.
Posted By: ddixon

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 06/15/13 12:06 AM

I hunt with original mountain cur dogs. They are very intelligent and most only require taking to an area with squirrels and instinct takes over. I have been raising and training these dogs for about 10 years and I wouldn't have any other kind.
Posted By: duckdown

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 06/15/13 03:59 PM

dd u have any pups ready?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 06/15/13 04:06 PM

Blue lacey dogs work well with tree rats
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 06/15/13 04:42 PM

Those litte short haired terriers make great squirrel dogs ( I think rat terriers are what they are called) rats/ mice / small game are what they live for (and were bred for)they don't miss ANY thing that moves.
There are small, so easy to transport and full of energy so they can go all day and they stay pretty close and check back in often.
Posted By: ddixon

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 06/16/13 11:20 PM

I don't have any now. I will be getting my gyp bred soon and should have some pups for sale by late summer or early fall.
Posted By: txdogman

Re: Squirrel Dogs? - 06/19/13 04:44 PM

Puppies due 8-12-2013 by this guy ( Nemo ) and out of a mongrel 1/8th pit terrier cross bitch. Not a planned parenthood so they'll be cheap. I use him for everything Trail hound , blood trailer ,squirrel , grackles, feral cats, coons, bobcat. He also keeps most of the bitches in the neighborhood bred if he can get to them. LOL
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum