Texas Hunting Forum

Lab pup is panting at night

Posted By: Cypress Legend

Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 02:42 PM

I have a 6 month old male lab puppy that has been acting weird randomly and recently.

When I put him in his kennel at night recently he will pant and whine like he needs to go out. I will let him out and he will drink a bunch of water then come back in and lay down. Sometimes he keeps panting and sometimes he stops. The panting will happen 1-2 times a week tops.

He is eating healthy, he is active, he has plenty of water sources, He sleeps in a kennel and it is not hot in the house.

I have asked around and I have had people say their labs did the same thing, some people say its teething, I think he is 100% healthy but just figured I would ask.
Posted By: Bigjoe8504

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 02:46 PM

Sounds like he learned that he can get out by making that noise. might see if you can stand to just let it go for a whole night without getting him out.

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 03:13 PM

That was my first thought. When I do let him out the first thing he does is drink a bunch of water. Then he wants to screw around
Posted By: GLC

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 03:55 PM

Dogs normally pant when they are hot, that is how they cool off, or I guess if they have you trained for attention.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 05:06 PM

Sounds hot and thirsty.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 05:35 PM

dogs can also pant from anxiety. I would just leave him alone in there for a few nights and don't give in to his whining & panting, etc. See if he doesn't just learn that he's gonna have to stay in the kennel. If there is bedding material in there, you might replace it with a rubber pad or remove everything all together because the bedding might be making him hot. I know my dogs have already abandoned their beds for the floor (carpet) in order to sleep cooler.

Sounds like you might be in a loop on this one where he pants, and gets worked up and then he's let out and thirsty from panting (dry throat/mouth) drinks a bunch of water and then will want back out later because he has to pee...
Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 05:43 PM

MY old man is 13... He pants all the time now, but I am thinking that he may be dealing with some breathing problems at his age.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: First_Chance
dogs can also pant from anxiety. I would just leave him alone in there for a few nights and don't give in to his whining & panting, etc. See if he doesn't just learn that he's gonna have to stay in the kennel. If there is bedding material in there, you might replace it with a rubber pad or remove everything all together because the bedding might be making him hot. I know my dogs have already abandoned their beds for the floor (carpet) in order to sleep cooler.

Sounds like you might be in a loop on this one where he pants, and gets worked up and then he's let out and thirsty from panting (dry throat/mouth) drinks a bunch of water and then will want back out later because he has to pee...

2X
If it was UTI he would be drinking more water all the time, not just after panting in the crate. I would keep an eye on his water intake, and see if he is peeing more often when not crated. If its normal, I'd chalk it up to stress.

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 06:11 PM

He has a comforter in the kennel for bedding. Its just strange because for the last 2 months I have not had a issue with him wanting out of the kennel. No having to pee at night or anything. Maybe I will try to take the bedding out, I just figured he needed some cushion. The crate bottom is metal.

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 06:18 PM

The kennel is in the bedroom next to the bed, we have a ceiling fan in the room and keep the house about 76
Posted By: Pastor Josh

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Cypress Legend
The kennel is in the bedroom next to the bed, we have a ceiling fan in the room and keep the house about 76

I'd be sweating like a boar hog at 76 degrees. He may be hot in the crate if it is the plastic kind with vent slits. May not be getting enough air circulation. Just a thought.

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Pastor Josh

I'd be sweating like a boar hog at 76 degrees. He may be hot in the crate if it is the plastic kind with vent slits. May not be getting enough air circulation. Just a thought.

The kennel is metal and the warmest the house gets is 76. I should have phrased that better. Last few nights the ac hasn't even kicked on.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 06:57 PM

He has a comforter in the kennel for bedding. Its just strange because for the last 2 months I have not had a issue with him wanting out of the kennel. No having to pee at night or anything. Maybe I will try to take the bedding out, I just figured he needed some cushion. The crate bottom is metal.

I would try a piece of thin carpet or something like that. the indoor/outdoor kind. if the crate bottom is metal and it's in your bedroom, he'll make more noise moving on the metal than he ever will panting! Dogs sleep a lot better cold than they do hot, so less is better.
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: First_Chance

x2

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 08:06 PM

Thanks guys, I will try the carpet!
Posted By: Riff

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/08/13 09:18 PM

Sounds a lot like my daughter when she was 3 or 4. Daddy, I need a drink of water. I know she was not thirsty but she always drank the water. Then wanted to play, then had to pee... Had to nip that one in the bud.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/09/13 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Pastor Josh

Me too, we have out unit set on 68 at night.

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/09/13 01:48 PM

I replaced the comforter that was in his kennel with a towel. He panted a little last night but didn't whine. I never let him out or showed him any attention. We have been working in the ponds and fields lately so he is a little tired.
Posted By: Pastor Josh

Re: Lab pup is panting at night - 05/09/13 01:54 PM

I replaced the comforter that was in his kennel with a towel. He panted a little last night but didn't whine. I never let him out or showed him any attention. We have been working in the ponds and fields lately so he is a little tired.

rock_on Now you're on to something.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum