Texas Hunting Forum

1 pup at a time?

Posted By: Bigjoe8504

1 pup at a time? - 05/03/13 04:31 PM

So as some of you know I acquired a couple pups a month or so ago. We have yet to acquire a second kennel for housetraining. so we were forced (by size at this point) to pt them both into an 8X16 outside kennel. They have adaped well and sleep comforatbly in a way oversized dogloo that I had received when I bought the kennel. I have noticed they are getting restless and digging a lot. I can excercise them both, but it takes time to do them separately.

My question, Is it ok to bring 1 in the house and leave the other out to make up for time apart. Is it cruel to bring one in for house training, then at a later date once the 1 is fully housetrained, bring the other in? I'm debating on trying to find a new home for 1 as my wife Loves them but doesnt have time to spend(at least in her eyes.) except on weekends.

On a positive note they are both chasing birds (doves, pigeons, and larks that land in the yard and in the field in our neighborhood.) they are both responding to Here and Sit when I am training them independently. When they are together it's about 50-50. both have done 5-10 yd water retreives and both have stopped and pointed wildish pigeons in a field (by sight though.)
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: 1 pup at a time? - 05/04/13 03:50 PM

I don't think that it is cruel at all. In fact it would definitely be advisable to separate the puppies as soon as possible. It sounds like you are doing a great job with them but there is one problem. It sounds like you are spending as much time as you can with them and multiple times a day, however, you can't be out there all the time. That means that they are spending the majority of the time with each other and that means that they are ultimately bonding with each other and not with you. Studies have shown that litter mates that are left in a situation like you are describing are sometimes very difficult to train later on because that bond is with another animal and not a human.
Posted By: Angie B

Re: 1 pup at a time? - 05/04/13 06:46 PM

I would probably give them both separate house and kennel time while housebreaking and after.

If I'm understanding you correctly you want to totally housebreak one before you start on the other. I wouldn't leave a dog outside 24/7 for any reason. They won't learn anything sitting in the kennel outside. They're a pack animal and should have quite a bit of time with you in your home.

Angie
Posted By: Pointer

Re: 1 pup at a time? - 05/04/13 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: maximumintensityretriever
I don't think that it is cruel at all. In fact it would definitely be advisable to separate the puppies as soon as possible. It sounds like you are doing a great job with them but there is one problem. It sounds like you are spending as much time as you can with them and multiple times a day, however, you can't be out there all the time. That means that they are spending the majority of the time with each other and that means that they are ultimately bonding with each other and not with you. Studies have shown that litter mates that are left in a situation like you are describing are sometimes very difficult to train later on because that bond is with another animal and not a human.

+1 for what Max said.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: 1 pup at a time? - 05/04/13 11:46 PM

I have an extra dog box that is free to a good home, if you want to drive over and get it, I'll be around all day tomorrow.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum