Texas Hunting Forum

lab pup ?

Posted By: Anew

lab pup ? - 03/28/13 04:24 AM

My pup was born Jan21st and he already loves retrieving, and fishing with me but he has a bad problem of bitting everything, seriously everything. he walks down the hall way and bites the wall lol if its close to his mouth he bites. anybody know how to break this them teeth are gettin sharp on my chin.
Posted By: Dkhntr

Re: lab pup ? - 03/28/13 09:45 AM

Lots of chew toys to keep him busy?
Posted By: waterandwoods

Re: lab pup ? - 03/28/13 11:22 AM

Welcome to my world. Mine's a month older. It's slowly starting to get better. Mine just thinks a finger is a chew toy. I haven't found a trick but there are plenty toys around. I try to put one in her mouth when she acts like she wants a finger.
Posted By: Humannpower

Re: lab pup ? - 03/28/13 03:49 PM

Yes Chew toys and squeak toys as well. I have a black lab mix and he had a similiar problem and I gave him chew toys like the denim rope and squeak balls and that broke him and it took some light discipline as well. It all comes down to patience.

Re: lab pup ? - 03/28/13 06:25 PM

He's got all kinds of toys ropes, squeak toys ducks balls you name it I got it for him. when I discipline him he thinks I'm playing rough lol if there really isn't much I can do I guess but hope age fixes this thanks guys.
Posted By: Quack Whacker

Re: lab pup ? - 03/28/13 10:29 PM

Labs chew pretty much anything until they get to be about 2 years old. Then they start to dig. It's best to keep them in an environment where this can be controlled.
And I'll offer an unsolicited opinion on the biting your face thing. I don't believe in letting a dog get in your grill. To me, it's a dominance thing. Dogs generally smell each others faces when meeting and the more aggressive/dominant dog generally growls or snaps to get the other out of his face. You want your dog to love you but if you are going to get the most out of him as a worker, he has to respect you even more.
Posted By: Humannpower

Re: lab pup ? - 03/28/13 11:04 PM

Yeah the digging is a pain. When we moved into our new house the back yard had new grass put in and when I went out back to get him he was ripping the sod up with his teeth. I was trying to get him to stop but I was laughing so hard I couldn't.

Re: lab pup ? - 03/29/13 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Quack Whacker
Labs chew pretty much anything until they get to be about 2 years old. Then they start to dig. It's best to keep them in an environment where this can be controlled.
And I'll offer an unsolicited opinion on the biting your face thing. I don't believe in letting a dog get in your grill. To me, it's a dominance thing. Dogs generally smell each others faces when meeting and the more aggressive/dominant dog generally growls or snaps to get the other out of his face. You want your dog to love you but if you are going to get the most out of him as a worker, he has to respect you even more.

thank you ill try to keep him out of my face its normally when he's sitting beside me he starts that crap but I've never thought of that being a dominance thing thanks again.
Posted By: deckhand

Re: lab pup ? - 03/30/13 07:57 PM

Sharp backhand on the end of the nose EVERY time cures the dog-in-face issue very fast. Another thing is to NEVER allow your dog to stand on your foot or rest paw on top of your hand.
Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: lab pup ? - 03/31/13 06:53 AM

I have to agree with the sentiment on not allowing pup to nip a face (or practice paw dominance.) What I do, siince it takes longer (and often in the case of a 'fly-by', there may not be time) to react physically, I make a displeased sound. Usually the same "Aaaaaaahhh!" a mom hollers when she catches a toddler getting into trouble. That immediately responds to the offensive behavior. Sort of like growling, it says "No way!" Then I always follow it up with quick, short and certain disciplinary response. That way, whether the dog is within reach or not, whether it does a 'fly-by' and is out of reach before I can deliver the swat, or it's still within reach to discipline, I've still communicated that I'm unhappy with what pup just did. When that sound is always followed up with discipline, it's not long before that "Aaaaaaahhhh!" results in pup immediately dropping and or rolling in submission because he knows he did wrong. Makes it easy to correct a lot of things verbally and quickly. Just like the dominant dog growling. In the beginning, he may have to back up his bark with some bite - but before long, the growl is enough.

Re: lab pup ? - 04/01/13 03:13 AM

Thanks yall I tried the swat and he has completely stopped. He's got a funny personality I can't believe how quick he's learning when I say no he puts himself in time out. and he's doing a lot better taking baths.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum