Texas Hunting Forum

Vizsla

Posted By: Jason B

Vizsla - 03/01/13 10:08 PM

Thinking about another pup. Maybe a vizsla this time. How do they compare shedding wise to a lab? How do the handle the cold for duck hunting.

Main uses would be dove and duck but more or less a good buddy to ride around and hang out at the office with me.

DoubleB still a breeder?
Posted By: sig1921

Re: Vizsla - 03/01/13 11:51 PM

contact Sniper John, it is his vizlas you see on the forum
Posted By: Rockhunter

Re: Vizsla - 03/02/13 12:34 AM

Although the mine have shed a little. Their hair is so short it has never really been a problem. I used mine for upland hunting so once they got going the cold did not bother them. Mine never seemed to like sitting around in the could though but neither did I so maybe I trained them to be ADHD. DoubleB had some pups earlier this year so you might check with him. He's a great resource too.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Vizsla - 03/02/13 02:08 AM

Greg (from the forum) and I both have pups from DoubleB's last litter. Vizslas are great dogs and I couldn't be happier. Shedding is not even comparable to a lab. They do tend to get cold, but a good vest will help I am sure. We'll see.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Vizsla - 03/02/13 02:12 AM

Let me know if these videos work:

Posted By: Greg

Re: Vizsla - 03/02/13 03:17 AM

Maybe they do shed but you can't tell it. Nothing like a lab. Vizsla's don't have the double coat like labs do. Very short coat also, so prob not the best dog to be out on a real cold duck hunt, but Hey... I don't like it real cold myself. As mentioned above we got ours from DoubleB and I for one could not be happier! She is turning out to be a great dog/friend for the family. up
Posted By: kindall

Re: Vizsla - 03/02/13 02:01 PM

I waterfowl hunt with a vizsla but also upland hunt too.
Your going to be wasting half of the dogs talents if you only use it as a retriever.
They don't shed very much. After the puppy stage they don't smell. I only give mine a bath 2-3 times a year, and I have three living inside the house. Most of the time they only need a bath if they play with someone else's smelly dog, thats not a vizsla. They do get cold easier than a lab. I put a vest on mine and sometimes throw my coat over him. I also don't have him sitting in the water on cold days. So far he has made every waterfowl hunt, but I live close to the coast.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Vizsla - 03/02/13 02:18 PM

I'd get a lab for waterfowl only.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum