Texas Hunting Forum

Dog Ate Chocolate

Posted By: Cole P

Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/12/13 11:13 PM

My dog ate a whole bag of chocolate when I wasn't looking. Is this something to worry about or just an ol' wives tale?
Posted By: kindall

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/12/13 11:17 PM

Its not a wives tale.
Call your vet and ask if you can use hydrogen peroxide to make him throw up.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/12/13 11:21 PM

Make sure its the 3% hydrogen peroxide.
The dose is one teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/12/13 11:25 PM

Rodger that thanks!
Posted By: troutmauler

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/13/13 01:39 AM

Had a chihuahua eat half of a chocolate Easter bunny, I called the vet, and she said to watch her closely, and expect some diarrhea.. She said its the dark type chocolate that you really have to be careful with, especially the kind used for cooking. Either way, call your vet to at least know where to go in case of an emergency.
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/13/13 03:03 AM

My younger sister's miniature Cocker Spaniel ate a 3lb Milk Chocolate bunny one Easter. She was fine. My dad joked he was buying a 5lb bunny the following year...
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/13/13 03:40 AM

How big is the dog and how big is the bag? Bigger dogs can take more but this time of year and Easter could be dangerous.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/13/13 11:57 AM

This year in Kansas, a GSP ate my family size bag of M&Ms. He was fine.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/13/13 12:44 PM

Notg a wives tail! Hope you took it in to vet. making a dog throw up can be deadly. Makes tghem dehydrated and shuts down thier divestive system. If were my dog I would call vet. Let them advise.voice of experence.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/13/13 02:07 PM

I'm in way late on this but make sure you keep him OUTSIDE after you give him HP... it works reeeeally good. barf
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/13/13 02:14 PM

My dog loved snickers bars as a treat when done duck hunting. She lived to the age of 14! My brotherinlaws lab would eat a whole bag if you didn't keep them zipped up in your back pack. He also lived a long life!
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/13/13 02:20 PM

Call the vet. Look it up on the computer if you can't get hold of a vet.
Posted By: Bigjoe8504

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/13/13 03:19 PM

I've seen dogs that ate chocolate as a treat every week and be fine. and i've seen a dog eat a m&m and die from it (luckily that was not my dog) so best thing is to talk to a vet. Dog may be fine, but best thing is to be careful

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/13/13 05:04 PM

She's fine I contacted the vet; they said if its been more than 1hr not to induce vomiting. Their is a chemical in chocolate that causes the heart to race in dogs. I was told cooking or dark chocolate is the worst. My lab is 70 lbs ate a pound or two and I only noticed a slight heart rate increase. She slept like a baby and no diareah. Thanks for your help and concern.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/14/13 02:09 AM

Thanks glad she is good.
Posted By: slow944

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/14/13 02:38 PM

Glad your dog is fine.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/14/13 06:25 PM

My sister-in-law ate some chocolate, only side affect is that she won't retrieve.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/14/13 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: troutmauler
Had a chihuahua eat half of a chocolate Easter bunny, I called the vet, and she said to watch her closely, and expect some diarrhea.. She said its the dark type chocolate that you really have to be careful with, especially the kind used for cooking. Either way, call your vet to at least know where to go in case of an emergency.
+1, the dark can be a problem. The higher cacoa counts are worse. If just milk chocolate dog will be fine.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/14/13 07:10 PM

My dog ate a side of door one time.... what do you do then??

O and my old dog actualy ate my HW one time.... teacher didnt think so untill i brought it up to her in a little baggy
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/15/13 02:08 PM

My lab ate an entire chocolate fudge pie off the counter and was perfectly fine. She's the best dog in the world but food is her weakness we can't leave anything out.. lol
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/17/13 04:39 PM

I'll share my opinion on chocolate and dogs.
I read a list one time of stuff a dog should not eat because it was deadly.
Well I think at the time most of my dogs at one time or another have ingested just about everything on the list. They seem to be none the worse for it. Here is what I suspect ... dogs just as people are more or less sensitive to certain foods. Some foods regardless will make them sick. another dog can eat 3X the amount of the same thing and never do more than fart.
I have a Springer that ate about 3 Lb. of Hershey double chocolate brownies and a loaf of French bread. She was miserable but she did survive, and could do it again today. Would it shorten her life? Maybe ... but she wouldn't care. She is an absolute genius when it comes to ways of getting to chocolate.
She will get to some in the future. It probably wont kill her.
Posted By: BeanoTSS#1

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/18/13 01:43 AM

My Beagle ate a bag of hershy's kisses one day and the only thing that happened was he shart a couple of what looked like disco balls the next day.
Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/18/13 10:20 PM

Glad to hear pup was ok. The usual 'cheap' chocolate isn't as rich with the cacao. Extra dark, cooking, etc. are very heavy with it and that is what causes the reaction. Coffee beans can have the same affect. It's the quality of the chocolate along with the quantity, vs the size of the dog that factor in most. Then you have other factors like age, health and the dog's resistance & resilience.

Giving HP is not likely to kill a dog unless you overdo it or do it too often or to a very small, young, debilitated or old dog. The dosage Kindall posted was correct - and usually effective. I have several dogs that won't react to the HP at all. They have iron stomachs and will ingest the most horrendous things, then refuse to puke it back up.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/20/13 02:51 AM

My brittany ate a whole bag of snickers a couple years ago. Other than crapping like an overfed turkey she was fine.
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/20/13 03:04 AM

My lab ate a whole package or Oreos once, climbed through an open window to get to them. Worst gas she has ever had, but is ship shape today
Posted By: Magicglock

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/20/13 04:29 AM

Is Chocolate bad for a Chocolate lab?
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/20/13 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Magicglock

only white chocolate...
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/20/13 02:22 PM

All Chocolate can kill a dog, but it depends of what kind of chocolate and how much. Milk Chocolate is the least harmful and bakers chocolate is the most harmful How much does the dog weigh and how much and what kind of chocolate did the dog eat?
Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/20/13 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: First_Chance
Originally Posted By: Magicglock

only white chocolate...

roflmao
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/21/13 07:53 PM

I'm seeing a trend in labs and their knack for getting into food. Having two daughters ages 2 and 3 doesn't help either.... My lab is like a coiled spring any time a crumb hits the floor. She's gotten into raisins...also supposedly deadly... Whole fudge pies made with straight cocoa. Never lost a step.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/21/13 08:23 PM

My dog a beagle eats what we eat and then she eats her food.

Tomatoes, celery, pineaple, chips, grapes, rasins, crackers, cake, last night she got some blue bell chocolate chip cookie doe ice cream. She has yet to get sick from any of it.

Only thing I have fed her thats made her sick was fried chicken bones and thats only if you give her too many one or two drumy bones and she is fine.
Posted By: jhunter77

Re: Dog Ate Chocolate - 02/23/13 07:45 AM

Our 5# chihuahua eats Cheetos by the bagful as well as cookies and cream ice among anything else she can find. But our lab ate the ice cream once and had the poops the next day and now she won't touch it but she'll eat everything else she can
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum