Texas Hunting Forum

Whistle commands...

Posted By: HardWired

Whistle commands... - 06/19/12 02:37 AM

Didn't want to tread on your thread Fooshman, but you got me to thinking....

What whistle commands do you use? And what sounds do you use to make them?

I use a single whistle for" sit", and a pulsed trill for "here".

What else can/should you use a whistle for?

I'm mainly interested in retriever commands but upland is welcome as well as I'm sure it will help someone.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Whistle commands... - 06/19/12 03:53 AM

I use a single for sit and a set of three for here.

Posted By: Angie B

Re: Whistle commands... - 06/19/12 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

A quick short beep for sit and a double beep for here. I don't keep repeating the here command. Very annoying and not necessary. My dogs know to keep coming in until they are back to me or I give them another sit whistle.

A quick double beep to turn a dog when quartering.

You can play with the tones of a whistle to emphasis your commands also much like your voice. The beeps should not all sound like one monotone.

Angie

Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Whistle commands... - 06/19/12 12:32 PM

quick double beep to turn or quarter
quick 5 set for here

Posted By: CSF

Re: Whistle commands... - 06/19/12 01:19 PM

quick one for hunt'em up,
quick three for here,
quick double (along with hand signal) for for turn

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Whistle commands... - 06/19/12 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Angie B

A quick short beep for sit and a double beep for here. I don't keep repeating the here command. Very annoying and not necessary. My dogs know to keep coming in until they are back to me or I give them another sit whistle.

I'm willing to bet my triple beep is as fast if not faster than your double beep.

smile

Posted By: Angie B

Re: Whistle commands... - 06/19/12 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Angie B

I'm willing to bet my triple beep is as fast if not faster than your double beep.

smile

I'll "see" your beep and raise you two!!! LOL

Angie

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Whistle commands... - 06/21/12 07:10 AM

Fluctuating tone for "Find it!" I've found this help dogs just learning to run a blind - signal when they are near the downed bird or bumper to let them know to start looking for it. For the dog that hasn't yet learned to trust his nose, this tells him he's in the right area and encourages him to use his nose. Before long, they are acting on the scent before I blow the whistle.

I also use it when I send my dog on those retrieves that someone else shot, it's blind for me, blind for the dog but the other hunter says is "around there somewhere." I can't cast her right to it, so I'll send the dog into the vicinity (which is usually a good distance away) then give the signal so she's free to hunt for it, rather than expecting to be cast right to it.

Posted By: Guy

Re: Whistle commands... - 06/22/12 02:07 PM

I whistle for beer, 2 whistles for TV remote (normally requires hunting it up). grin

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Whistle commands... - 06/22/12 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
I whistle for beer, 2 whistles for TV remote (normally requires hunting it up). grin

roflmao LOVE IT!!!!

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Whistle commands... - 06/22/12 03:46 PM

One whistle for here, two for direction change.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum