Texas Hunting Forum

German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding???

Posted By: RMFWTX

German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding??? - 12/05/11 03:09 AM

I am looking at getting a new bird dog, but the wife has one major rule that the dog cant shed much. I would like some advice on gundogs that dont shed a lot.

Thanks

Posted By: kindall

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding??? - 12/05/11 05:20 AM

That would be a vizsla.

Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding??? - 12/05/11 12:20 PM

I don't know anyone that has a German Wirehaired Pointer, but with the DDs, I haven't figured out the shedding yet. I have friends that have long haired bushy DDs and they don't shed at all. Izzy is a short haired DD and she explodes with hair. Deuce is even shorter haired than Izzy and he doesn't shed much.

Posted By: TDH09

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding??? - 12/05/11 02:31 PM

Shedding is minimal with my two DD's

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding??? - 12/05/11 03:16 PM

Thanks for the information.

Posted By: js4242

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding??? - 12/05/11 09:18 PM

you can google "hunting dogs that don't shed" and a list will pop up. How do I know this...cause that was a major concern with my wife as well. How accurate that list is, is another story. I ended up with a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Its a Christmas present so I have no first hand knowledge if its true or not. I will find out shortly. Some folks on this forum already have the dog, but I never asked the question. Good luck with your search.

Posted By: jkrugby

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding??? - 12/05/11 09:56 PM

When i was looking at breeds, that was my desire. So I looked into these breeds that are considered non-shedders:

Irish Water Spaniel (difficult to find)
Wire-haired Pointing Griffon
German Wire-haired Pointer
Portuguese Water Dog (became popular due to Obama, therefore breeding for looks)

I narrowed it down the the German Wire-hair and the Wire-haired Pointing Griffon. The Wire-hair is leggier and the griffon is a little stockier. Also, the wire-hair is typically a longer range worker and the griffon stays a little closer(upland birds obviously). I got a griffon and it sheds little to none. (sleeps on the bed every night) My understanding is occassionally the wirehairs will have a short coat and they will shed some, but if they have the longer wiry coat they shed very little like the griffons.

Hope it helps

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding??? - 12/05/11 11:27 PM

js4242 & jkrugby--- Thanks for all the info.

Posted By: CSF

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding??? - 12/06/11 02:34 PM

I have a GSP that sheds quite a bit, so I started giving him cod liver oil pills once a day and it helped reduce the shedding quite a bit.

Just another option to try with dogs that tend to shed for the pills are inexpensive.

Posted By: tjc

Re: German Wirehaired Pointer Shedding??? - 12/14/11 07:58 PM

The Vizsla is a very low shedder. But, they do shed little short hairs. Great dogs. Smart. Loyal. Research them before buying. The are sensitive. Know this for a fact. Ours is afraid of guns and fire. So, we have a great family pet. Have heard this from others. Talk to breeders.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum