Texas Hunting Forum

Paxton's Surgery

Posted By: Fooshman

Paxton's Surgery - 08/25/10 12:23 AM

Took Paxton in this morning to get a bump on her foot removed. It was in sort of a rough spot being almost between two of her toes.

We took her in at 8 this morning and the vet called at 11:15 to tell us everything went fine and that she was just waking up and that we could pick her up after 3.

Funny thing was that there was a young girl there with a Great Dane that was going crazy when we walked in with Paxton. He was dragging that lil girl all over the place. When the vet assistant called us back we apologized about making the Great Dane go bonkers. She said "Yea, he's here to get neutered." I replied "I guess my girl being in heat didn't help the situation." lol

We ended up going to get her around 3:45 and would you know it a huge storm blew in and it was pouring down rain. Carried her to the car and she's been passed out in the same spot that she layed down in when we got home.

The vet knows Paxton and that she hunts and used a special stitch that we will keep in a bit longer than normal. He said she should be ready to go but I'm not taking any chances so basically she is more than likely gunna be sitting idle for two weeks or more. Waiting on the lab results is going to worry me to death. I'm hoping for the best, please keep her in your thoughts.

Before shot. You can see the spot on her left front foot.

Just getting back home with the bag still over the foot because of the rain.

She was pretty thirsty. She couldn't have any water since early this morning.

Still groggy and passed out. She'll probably be in the same spot the rest of the night.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/25/10 01:37 AM

glad to hear things went well, she looks kinda out of it

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/25/10 02:36 AM

Yea, she's been sleeping pretty much the whole time since she's been home. Awake long enough to eat and go potty then passed out again.

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/25/10 02:44 AM

so what are the docs thinking it is? a tumor or cancerous?

Posted By: udder brudder1

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/25/10 03:07 AM

Keep us posted on what it was, and how she is doing....Pat

Posted By: Honker Jake

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/25/10 03:58 AM

Hope everything turns out o.k.

Let us know.

Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/25/10 01:21 PM

SHe's a beautiful dog! Looks like a sweetheart. Hope all goes well.

Posted By: Judd

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/25/10 02:28 PM

Good luck Paxton...get well soon!

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/25/10 08:57 PM

They think (and I hope) it's nothing serious but we sent it off to make sure. Talked to the vet again this morning and the plan is to remove the stitches at the normal time since I am not going to hunt her for a few weeks.

She's still pretty much been sleeping unless outside to go potty. We will take the bandage off tonight. She is moving around a bit better today though.

Posted By: kdub

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/25/10 11:07 PM

Hope she's up and fetching ducks in time for teal season. up

Posted By: steel shot

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/26/10 01:32 AM

poor thing. Hope she has a quick recovery!

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/26/10 04:52 PM

How's she doing?

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/26/10 07:20 PM

Took the bandage off lastnight. She's moving around fairly decent now and finally went #2 lastnight lol.

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/26/10 09:34 PM

Great news...

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/27/10 12:21 AM

great news indeed

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/30/10 09:03 PM

Well, good news and bad news.

Vet called about an hour ago with the lab results. Bad news is that it turns out it was malignant. Sort of described it as a malignant mole of sorts. Good news is that they were pretty adamant that they got it all and that it had a low mitotic rate which means it is less likely to spread. Still sucks either way. Please keep her in your thoughts.

Posted By: nogeese

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/30/10 09:15 PM

She is gonna be fine.... I know it!

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 08/31/10 02:41 AM

Glad they got it all...I hope Paxton continues to recover and is fine!

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/01/10 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Well, good news and bad news.

Vet called about an hour ago with the lab results. Bad news is that it turns out it was malignant. Sort of described it as a malignant mole of sorts. Good news is that they were pretty adamant that they got it all and that it had a low mitotic rate which means it is less likely to spread. Still sucks either way. Please keep her in your thoughts.

have faith in your vet, or change vets. Glad they got it when they did, I hope she's healing up just fine. up

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/07/10 11:28 PM

I sort of left this thread open-ended so I will do a quick update.

This is a pic of the stitches after the bandage came off:

She went in on the morning of the 3rd to have the stitches removed:

A pic of her paw after the stitches were taken out:

She was given the go ahead to get back into the field so I took her out that evening. This is her launch stance lol:

The birds have been few and far between but we finally got into a good number last night:

She's back into the swing of things. Just trying to get her on as many birds as she wants.

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/08/10 03:34 AM

A pic of her paw after the stitches were taken out:

I'm glad she is recovering nicely.

Quick question...the toe nail that you can see the side of is chipped, does it bother her and she limp on it?

That is sort of what Oakley's looked like...good news is I got home tonite and she was fired up and not limping nothing like she had been. Week tomorrow but it looks like no training and making her rest more is working but that is what I thought it was.

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/08/10 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd

Quick question...the toe nail that you can see the side of is chipped, does it bother her and she limp on it?

That is sort of what Oakley's looked like...good news is I got home tonite and she was fired up and not limping nothing like she had been. Week tomorrow but it looks like no training and making her rest more is working but that is what I thought it was.

Doesn't bother her at all.

Have you checked her pads out? Hope she gets back at it soon.

Posted By: Fowl Shot

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/08/10 05:07 AM

New here - your post was the first I read here on the gun dog section. Sorry to hear about her foot, sure hope she pulls thru ok for ya. I'm sure it's killin her just as much as it is you... looks like the girl loves to hunt. Best of success to ya and hope Paxton's back on her paws again soon.

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/08/10 05:48 AM

Doesn't bother her at all.

Have you checked her pads out? Hope she gets back at it soon.

I really went thru it and the weird thing is she isn't licking it. Most dogs that I have had (not labs) that have something in their paw will lick at it trying to get it out but she hasn't licked it at all.

Weird...she is much better tonite but she is driving the wife and I NUTS wanting to play and get after it. This is the 2nd week without training since I got her and she is getting a bit stir crazy...other time was from injury too roflmao she is a go getter.

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/08/10 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Fowl Shot
New here - your post was the first I read here on the gun dog section. Sorry to hear about her foot, sure hope she pulls thru ok for ya. I'm sure it's killin her just as much as it is you... looks like the girl loves to hunt. Best of success to ya and hope Paxton's back on her paws again soon.

Thanks, man and welcome to the forum.

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/08/10 10:07 PM

I really went thru it and the weird thing is she isn't licking it. Most dogs that I have had (not labs) that have something in their paw will lick at it trying to get it out but she hasn't licked it at all.

Weird...she is much better tonite but she is driving the wife and I NUTS wanting to play and get after it. This is the 2nd week without training since I got her and she is getting a bit stir crazy...other time was from injury too roflmao she is a go getter.

Now that I think back on it I think it was last year when Paxton was being easy on a paw for a few days due to a chipped nail.

Might also look to see if her pads are cracked or roughed up at all. I know Paxton tore her pads up pretty good early last season bc of how dry the ground was. She was good in a few days as well.

Oakley could have had a slight sprain as well. Sucks when you don't really know what is wrong.

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/09/10 02:25 AM

No rough or cracked pads...it is weird but she is even better tonite than last nite. Hopefully by the weekend she will be ready. I am leaning toward giving her an opportunity and if she doesn't do well then not pushing her to do more than she wants. I know she will want too. Then if she is limping at all afterwards then vet for sure.

Got her dog stand done tonite and after two times lifting her up there with a "kennel" command she now hops up there and sits down. I got people who work for me that don't learn that fast rofl

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/09/10 06:27 PM

Hey man, how's Paxton's paw? I hope she's up and about soon. She knows it's time to be outside gettin birds!

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/10/10 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
Hey man, how's Paxton's paw? I hope she's up and about soon. She knows it's time to be outside gettin birds!

She's been out with me since having her stitches removed last friday. Been on 5 hunts so far and can't get enough. grin

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/10/10 04:42 PM

thats great news

Posted By: Guy

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/11/10 12:19 AM

Sorry just now reading this foosh, send one up for Paxton. up

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Paxton's Surgery - 09/11/10 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

She's been out with me since having her stitches removed last friday. Been on 5 hunts so far and can't get enough. grin

That's good to hear. High morale is great for healin'! Best of success to y'all this season!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum