Texas Hunting Forum

Flushing Dogs

Posted By: DoubleB20

Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 02:32 AM

I'm thinking about adding a flushing dog to my pointers to give my clients a flavor of the different dogs. I have friends that have Boykins and English Cockers. Are there any flushing dogs with short hair? I'd prefer not to spend any more time than necessary combing out their coats. I've also considered a lab or a chessie.

What would you choose?

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
I'm thinking about adding a flushing dog to my pointers to give my clients a flavor of the different dogs. I have friends that have Boykins and English Cockers. Are there any flushing dogs with short hair? I'd prefer not to spend any more time than necessary combing out their coats. I've also considered a lab or a chessie.

What would you choose?

Thats a tough one... My lab is a flushing fool. One of the reasons I can't bring him any where near chukar... They wont make it off the ground.

Only bad I can think about of labs for flushing dogs is you have to be very regulated on feeding them. As long as you can keep him fit and in shape they are hard to beat. Again they tend not to have the natrual enduance like your pointing dogs. No matter how in shape my dog is he can't hang all day with a GSP that has equal endurance training.
I have to know when to put him up in the panhandle and let him get a breather, but as long as he get those breathers his golden

Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 03:02 AM

I did a pheasant/chukar shoot today today with my lab and the retriever club I just joined. I thought she did great... def. would give a lot of thought for a lab. Not because I'm biased but they really are great dogs all around... I'm sure a chessy would be just as good too. But you may have to worry about the heat with them even more than a lab.

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 04:31 AM

We've produced a number of Lab pups that naturally have a tendency toward flushing. I'm not sure how they'd measure up to other breeds in that particular aspect, but they are certainly versatile!

Posted By: Redboneman

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 06:11 AM

If you don't like the combing, just clip them often. Since you won't be doing a bench show with them, it should be easy to do...one length fits all. =D

Posted By: HupDog Daddy

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 01:07 PM

Your gonna have to come with me on a practice day with our club. You gotta see some of the dogs we work on pheasant. English Springer -- Of Course

Posted By: twostrike

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 01:33 PM

You can not go wrong with a well bred English Cocker Spaniel. All of my clients just fall in love with Peanut, my 3 year old English Cocker. Not much problem with her hair, because it is naturally shorter then an American Cocker. The only problem with the hair was up in Kansas this last fall where even the pointers had problems with the cockle burrs. She will keep up all day with the pointers. Just have to make sure she has plenty of water to keep cool.

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 01:57 PM

I knew you'd say that Hupdog...got any puppies now?

I like the English Cockers too, but I'm a guy who likes a "different kind of dog"

Those Boykins are close to the color of my Vizslas, and they have some Chessie in them, which I'm fond of...

Posted By: Angie B

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: DoubleB20

What would you choose?

If you want something small how about a springer? I've hunted over a number of them and like them a lot.

When we hunt upland it's all done with a labs. I have trained and hunted over chessies and like them equally well for upland.

Angie

Posted By: HupDog Daddy

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 03:23 PM

One of the guys in our club has an English Cocker that I am very impressed with. Not the fastest dog around. He will go where other dogs can't and he will hunt all day long. Fantastic little dog with a lot of personality.

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 04:03 PM

Chessies do have an odor though. It's due to their coarse, oily coat. You might want to take that into consideration.

Angie

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/08/10 06:16 PM

I'm aware of the chessie's coat, I've had them before. I'm thinking about a smaller dog in all reality though. Thanks for the input.

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/09/10 02:00 AM

Coat doesn't necessarily have to be a problem. During the hunting season get the coat shaved down. Pretty easy. A groomer is cheap in my book. Have them do it and you won't have to fool with it.

I like both a English cocker and a Boykin.

Angie

Posted By: BirdDog3TC

Re: Flushing Dogs - 02/10/10 05:57 PM

There's a reason springers are the only breed allowed for spaniel field trials....

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum