Texas Hunting Forum

Wanted: Mule Deer lease

Posted By: Creekrunner

Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 12/11/23 11:08 PM

An open spot or two, or getting a group of around 4 together, it makes no difference to me. Prefer mule deer only country. I'm not about having to have a monster, but more about spending a week or two (and then I'm GONE off your land) in country that I miss. Far west Texas or panhandle. Very flexible on accommodations. Time and ability to come talk to you and see what you'd prefer. PM would be the best way to contact. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 12/12/23 07:16 PM

what's your budget? what accommodations are needed?

My BIL has some contacts in the panhandle that I can get him to check on.

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 12/12/23 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
what's your budget? what accommodations are needed?

My BIL has some contacts in the panhandle that I can get him to check on.

I can camp in a tent with no water or electricity (although I am getting pretty old for 2 weeks of that), or get a motel room if a town is close, or make do with any structure. Budget-wise I am resigned to paying for what mule deer are currently going for. I'm sure I'll get an education on $. The bigger the better as far as acreage. As stated, I can get a small group together if a place doesn't already have a group on it. 'Prefer working as a team, sharing info and areas (as opposed to "This is your stand/pasture and that's what you hunt for 2 weeks.") I do appreciate you checking for me! cheers

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/01/24 02:41 AM

Still on the hunt.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/08/24 10:31 PM

The pitchfork has openings. Gonna cost between $8k-$10k though. Wish I could swing it.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/12/24 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by sbushee
The pitchfork has openings. Gonna cost between $8k-$10k though. Wish I could swing it.

Most the pastures with opening are primarily whitetail pastures on the north side of the highway
Posted By: Stetsonoverton

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/12/24 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by sbushee

dang 8-10k gun what they getting a man now,,,,
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/12/24 09:33 PM

Did you happen to pm Jgraider?

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/14/24 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Did you happen to pm Jgraider?

Not yet. I hear tell he is ate up with hunting them. up

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/15/24 12:18 PM

"I have a dream..." grin

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/30/24 11:41 PM

Up.

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/31/24 12:12 PM

my BIL checked with his most of his contacts, mostly all full or shot out or quail hunters have overtaken ... still waiting on a few others, but no cigars so far.

I am stunned at the $$$ for quail hunting involved and ruined some of the places

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/31/24 01:32 PM

Hey, thanks to you and your BIL for checking! I appreciate the help. I realize it's a needle in a haystack situation. I'll "endeavor to persevere." What I lack in intelligence, I make up for with tenacity. up The hunt continues.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 01/31/24 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
my BIL checked with his most of his contacts, mostly all full or shot out or quail hunters have overtaken ... still waiting on a few others, but no cigars so far.

I am stunned at the $$$ for quail hunting involved and ruined some of the places

Quail hunters see just the opposite, deer hunters hunting til end of February and locking out the quail hunters. Not that much available ground left to run bird dogs in Texas.
Posted By: SmalljawNH

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 02/06/24 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
An open spot or two, or getting a group of around 4 together, it makes no difference to me. Prefer mule deer only country. I'm not about having to have a monster, but more about spending a week or two (and then I'm GONE off your land) in country that I miss. Far west Texas or panhandle. Very flexible on accommodations. Time and ability to come talk to you and see what you'd prefer. PM would be the best way to contact. Thanks in advance.

Hi Creekrunner - I joined the forum to find a group of responsible hunters interested in the same as the above. I'll try to PM you (if it'll let me).

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 02/07/24 04:46 PM

PM answered.
Posted By: Buschy

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 02/29/24 07:51 PM

Dang 8-10 K is a lot of money for a mulie. Good luck in your search.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 02/29/24 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Buschy
Dang 8-10 K is a lot of money for a mulie. Good luck in your search.

If you can find a good hunt cheaper I’m listening
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 03/01/24 08:37 PM

I’d be willing to join your group if you’re needing some people. Mid 50s, drama free. Own my own place in the hill country, but would love to hunt some mule deer

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/01/24 01:06 AM

Still on the hunt. ninja 'Appreciate all the contacts and suggestions. up
Posted By: batman

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/01/24 01:26 AM

PM sent
Posted By: Duckman8

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/23/24 07:47 AM

I have 14525 acers in Oklahoma Panhandle, (Texas County) a quality mule deer lease, whitetail and pronghorn also. Listed on Basecamp Properties. www.basecampleasing.com. It is listed on the wall hanger membership. max seven hunters. camping, four wheelers, nice place.
Rick
Posted By: bp3

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/26/24 01:14 AM

If I was going to spend 10 grand it wouldn't be on the Pitch Fork
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/26/24 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Duckman8
I have 14525 acers in Oklahoma Panhandle, (Texas County) a quality mule deer lease, whitetail and pronghorn also. Listed on Basecamp Properties. www.basecampleasing.com. It is listed on the wall hanger membership. max seven hunters. camping, four wheelers, nice place.
Rick

guessing its gone now? p

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/26/24 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by bp3

Id pay 10k for the right transpecos but not Pitchfork.

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/26/24 01:12 PM

I've talked to a couple of great guys on here that have contacted me about this thread, and I've got a couple of feelers out, but nothing "fitting like a glove" just yet. Thanks for bumping it up fellas. up It's nothing that has to happen, this year or the next, but it doesn't hurt to keep searching.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/26/24 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by bp3

What’s wrong with Panhandle?
I would also consider the right MLD Texas MD lease for 10k.

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/26/24 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by bp3

What’s wrong with Panhandle?
I would also consider the right MLD Texas MD lease for 10k.

Pitchfork is a better WT lease than Mule deer. Not a historical high producing mulie ranch.

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/26/24 03:25 PM

Bobo, I asked what was wrong with "Panhandle" not "Pitchfork". You had mentioned Transpecos but not Panhandle.

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/26/24 03:45 PM

Bobo, I asked what was wrong with "Panhandle" not "Pitchfork". You had mentioned Transpecos but not Panhandle.

Sorry, I have a ranch in Panhandle, and have mule deer, just seldom have any thing over 165. Transpecos has ranches that are consistent 190+ producers w/ much higher densities. There are a few ranches in the panhandle that have a very special situation where they are a winter/rut destination for protected mule deer herds, such as Dkerson charity hunt

Id entertain sandhill areas also

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/26/24 04:12 PM

'Thought I had a lead on a place in true, No Country For Old Men country. grin But, if my friend on here didn't misquote the acreage, it sounds postage-stamp size for out there and, I doubt the land manager contact will ever get back with me. Interesting history though of a place that it looks like someone thought they'd try to create another Luckenbach...in the middle of nowhere. roflmao
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 04/26/24 05:08 PM

Creekrunner, if it's No Country For Old Men country, I think you should throw any suitcases of money you find in the nearest river. Don't want to meet Anton Chigura!

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 05/03/24 03:40 PM

Creek, did you see the one listed in Panhandle? both MD & WT ... (probably a silly question)

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 05/03/24 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by bp3

If I’m gonna pay $10k for a muley and have to drive to the panhandle I’m just gonna keep going another couple hours and go to Colorado or New Mexico

That’s the trade off on a mule deer lease. At some point the cost factor on a lease vs. a package hunt has to be considered since the season is so short.

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 05/03/24 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by bp3

If I’m gonna pay $10k for a muley and have to drive to the panhandle I’m just gonna keep going another couple hours and go to Colorado or New Mexico

That’s the trade off on a mule deer lease. At some point the cost factor on a lease vs. a package hunt has to be considered since the season is so short.

Its not short if its MLD.

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 05/03/24 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by bp3

Its not short if its MLD.

True, but I can’t ever remember seeing a mule deer lease offered that was MLD. I’m sure they do exist.

Most of the mule deer properties I’ve seen were either hunted by friends and family or the hunting was spoken for by an outfitter.

Good, consistent mule deer hunting in Texas is very hard to come by. It takes a combination of proper location, habitat, and hunting pressure/managment.

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 05/03/24 05:38 PM

'Thought I had a lead on a place in true, No Country For Old Men country. grin But, if my friend on here didn't misquote the acreage, it sounds postage-stamp size for out there and, I doubt the land manager contact will ever get back with me. Interesting history though of a place that it looks like someone thought they'd try to create another Luckenbach...in the middle of nowhere. roflmao

Maybe if you look in the classifieds in the mule deer foundation publication you will find some ads.

One can only imagine what kind of information is packed inside those pages….i wouldn’t know though….

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 05/03/24 06:46 PM

grin Nor I. TWA hired that old goober, by the way. rolleyes

Re: Wanted: Mule Deer lease - 05/03/24 08:17 PM

grin Nor I. TWA hired that old goober, by the way. rolleyes

Ill see him at the next TWA conference handing out pamphlets on CWD…
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum