Texas Hunting Forum

Prickly pear

Posted By: londontexas

Prickly pear - 08/09/18 10:09 PM

Anyone have experience with spraying prickly pear with a product that doesn’t require a liscense?
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Prickly pear - 08/10/18 01:11 AM

you can do Remedy

I crushed mine with my Kubota dozer
Posted By: East texas deer hunter

Re: Prickly pear - 08/10/18 01:38 AM

Remedy by its self may not kill. Try garlon with sufacant
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Prickly pear - 08/10/18 02:17 AM

Remedy mixed with diesel. Works well.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Prickly pear - 08/10/18 02:49 PM

I don't have much pear on my place but I use the 41% weed killer with surfactant from Tractor Supply.
Posted By: tr22johnson

Re: Prickly pear - 08/10/18 05:37 PM

From my Local Ag Extension Office:
Do you have a herbicide license? If so Tordon 22K or Surmount will do a good job of controlling the prickly pear but do not use these under live oaks. If you not have a license PastureGard HL does a great job of controlling prickly pear and is safe to use under oak trees. Any of these prickly pear herbicides need to use at a rate of 1.00% (1.28 oz/gallon of water) mixed with a surfactant plus blue dye, the prickly pear needs to be sprayed on both sides of the pads and all three herbicides will not harm the grasses.

PastureGard is not the cheapest stuff but worked extremely well-within 3 months could see results and what was sprayed last year is all ready white and decaying. It's important that you take the time to spray both sides of the pads to ensure a good kill
Posted By: londontexas

Re: Prickly pear - 08/12/18 10:58 PM

thanks for the guidance...have used pasture guard with success....looking for a less expensive option...
Posted By: pak1013

Re: Prickly pear - 08/14/18 02:52 AM

Actually big bucks love it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum