Texas Hunting Forum

Land financing question

Posted By: HoldPoint

Land financing question - 02/28/17 04:21 PM

I have a good buddy who is looking at buying some property up in SE Oklahoma (middle of nowhere from what I've been told). It's got a small cabin on it (200 acres). Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good bank to work with who understands these type of transactions? Any pointers or info on standard loan terms would be helpful.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Land financing question - 02/28/17 04:23 PM

Capital Farm Credit has always been good to me.

They've got a pretty wide spectrum of loan packages available, not terribly different than residential. Rates are, on average, about 1-1.5% higher than you'd see on a home.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Land financing question - 02/28/17 04:33 PM

I'll add them to the list - thanks. Any idea on terms other than interest rate? Curious to know if the industry standard is 50% down, 15 year term or if they get more aggressive like a residential purchase and do 5% down and 30 years.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Land financing question - 02/28/17 06:09 PM

Rates are just a bit higher with Capital Farm Credit but the patronage checks sure make up for it. I've used them several times and they've been very easy to work with.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Land financing question - 02/28/17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: HoldPoint
I'll add them to the list - thanks. Any idea on terms other than interest rate? Curious to know if the industry standard is 50% down, 15 year term or if they get more aggressive like a residential purchase and do 5% down and 30 years.

All of the land banks that I have dealt with require 20% down and offer rates for 5,10,15,20,25,30 years. And as was said above, the check you get back once a year from them more than makes up in additional interest points.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Land financing question - 02/28/17 06:40 PM

I don't think you're going to find anyone asking for less than 20% down, but it shouldn't really be any higher than 20% down either.

I did a 20-year back in November and I think it was 5.4%, but with the projected patronage, more like 4.3%. Rates have come up a bit since then.
Posted By: TexasLandAgent

Re: Land financing question - 02/28/17 08:24 PM

Capital Farm Credit is technically a Texas affiliate for https://www.farmcreditnetwork.com/ and doesn't operate in OK. Look for an OK Ag credit office close to where he wants to buy.

Alot more rural land lenders are looking for 30%+ equity now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum