Texas Hunting Forum

FEEDER -QUESTION

Posted By: TRITON -X

FEEDER -QUESTION - 11/06/09 06:02 PM

Hi all i have 3 moultrie feeders - steel barrel locking ring on lids. We get alot of moisture build-up which molds up the inside of the barrels- corn and feed get ruined - any idea how to prevent this ??? i thought of putting a loaf of italian bread on top of the corn ??? might soak up moisture for while??? thanks - G

Posted By: 750SpiritRdr

Re: FEEDER -QUESTION - 11/06/09 06:09 PM

it's expensive, but my dad rhino-lined his. the roll on stuff from wally world.

Posted By: TXXN

Re: FEEDER -QUESTION - 11/07/09 07:28 PM

Castaway Feeders out of Florida makes a nice feeder that has an O-Ring seal around the barrel and lid. They may sell those separate. Also great for keeping whasp out of there.

Posted By: jim1961

Re: FEEDER -QUESTION - 11/11/09 12:56 AM

the lids tha fit over the barrel seem to allow the corn to breathe and cuts down on moisture

Posted By: schapman

Re: FEEDER -QUESTION - 12/06/09 06:42 AM

The lids that fit over the barrel do let air in and will stop the problem you are having.

Posted By: bholt

Re: FEEDER -QUESTION - 12/06/09 02:03 PM

Schapman is right I have seen and had the same issue. Three years ago I noticed a fellow hunter was mixig protien in with his corn(50-50). I told him he was going to plug up his feeder because the protien would absorb the moistue,you know the rest. He uses a galvanized lid on his 55 gal. barrel, it is a loose fit and hangs over about 3.0 inches he has never had a problem. When I built him a winch feeder he wanted to his barrel and I modified my design to incorporate that lid. Today I build all my feeder with that lid in mind because it works. I even mix mine again now.I am includin a picture I hope that helps.

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: FEEDER -QUESTION - 12/07/09 05:08 PM

Check out the line of BossBuck feeders. They do a better job than any other feeder I have come across for keeping moisture out. That is why I sell them.

www.bossbuck.com

Posted By: jim1961

Re: FEEDER -QUESTION - 12/21/09 03:08 AM

over the barrel lids are great to prevent your feeder problem

Posted By: 9toes

Re: FEEDER -QUESTION - 12/23/09 11:44 PM

I had this problem, drilled a hole close to the top and installed a 90 degree PVC fitting. Never had any more problems.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum