Texas Hunting Forum

Cattle problem

Posted By: DHuggins

Cattle problem - 08/24/09 09:59 PM

I was thinking about using some chain link fence arround the bottom feeding area to help stop cows from eating all the corn from the feeders... has anyone ever used this before and do you think it may work?

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Cattle problem - 08/24/09 10:01 PM

I think they could trample chain link. IMHO I would use hog panels 1 ft. off the ground and then put 2 strands of barbed wire around the top.

Re: Cattle problem - 08/24/09 10:04 PM

Sorry i failed to mention.. that the ground is Rocky and it is very hard to drill or place a fence post in the ground..

Posted By: Shake1

Re: Cattle problem - 08/24/09 10:21 PM

I've heard you can lay hog panels on the ground around it . . . supposedly, cows do not like to to walk on it. I do not know if this works or not.

for driving t-posts into rock, get a rail road spike, or something like it, and punch a hole in the rock (with a heavy maul) to get T-posts started. Hard work to say the least, and you will likely not get the T-posts out.

Posted By: lnester

Re: Cattle problem - 08/26/09 01:41 AM

Chain link won't work. Use barbed wire - it's the only thing cows understand. They will lean against anything and if it doesn't hurt, say bye to the fence.

Posted By: kix

Re: Cattle problem - 09/09/09 03:17 AM

I visited a place once that was very rocky and the guys put wooden pallets all around the feeder with only room for little deer hooves to pass.Sort of like a common cattle-guard on roads.They said it worked but I was just a quick visitor and never saw the proof. Kix

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Cattle problem - 09/09/09 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Shake1
I've heard you can lay hog panels on the ground around it . . . supposedly, cows do not like to to walk on it. I do not know if this works or not.

o they will walk all over them, and crush them and bend them to where u can never use em again. however, one other option not mentions here, would be to get u some 1/2 or 3/4 inch pipe, and weld a frame across the top and on the sides of the pannels, then all u have to do it either make a way to pin them to gether, or just but em up and wire em together. they will suppor themselves this way. no post to drive. ive seen it work plenty times.

Posted By: wan2hunt/fish

Re: Cattle problem - 09/09/09 12:32 PM

we used three strands of barbed wire around our feeders and a week later the cows even tore it down! had to go with hog panels (vertical) and left an opening for the deer..small calf got through but thats about it.

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Cattle problem - 09/09/09 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: wan2hunt/fish
we used three strands of barbed wire around our feeders and a week later the cows even tore it down! had to go with hog panels (vertical) and left an opening for the deer..small calf got through but thats about it.

What do you mean 'vertical'. You wired hog panels to the legs from the barrel to the ground? I have cows where I hunt & they are a bigger PITA than the hogs! They went thru my barbwire as well.

Posted By: 30378

Re: Cattle problem - 09/09/09 09:31 PM

Cows will even jump a fence when they get really hungry. 3 strand barbed wire with the top wire at 50" works well but it's not perfect.

Posted By: wsttxcowboy

Re: Cattle problem - 09/10/09 05:22 AM

Solar powered electrical fence @ Tractor Supply thats the best way to train them to stay away.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Cattle problem - 09/10/09 06:12 AM

x2... we use them to keep our bulls in the bull patch when they get "the urge".

Re: Cattle problem - 09/10/09 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: wsttxcowboy
Solar powered electrical fence @ Tractor Supply thats the best way to train them to stay away.

I've thought about this but I was worried if a deer touched it they would never return. I was thinking flagging it & having it about 3 feet off the ground.

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Cattle problem - 09/15/09 04:25 PM

Crossing my fingers... but we've had good luck with building a square around the feeders using hog panel and running barb wire around it about halfway up and around the top. The deer easily jump the hog panel to feed, while the cows and hogs leave it be..

Posted By: Central Texas Hog Traps

Re: Cattle problem - 09/15/09 04:56 PM

Deer will tear the crap out of a hot shot fence

Re: Cattle problem - 09/18/09 12:00 AM

I guess i am just going to have to build a barb wire fence around it...

Posted By: scot

Re: Cattle problem - 09/18/09 04:03 PM

You can run it between trees, and then just use fence stays and that should hold it a bit better. It never worked for us when we put t-posts in the corners.

Posted By: Central Texas Hog Traps

Re: Cattle problem - 09/18/09 05:14 PM

maybe wire 2 cattle panels together in a circle?

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Cattle problem - 09/19/09 04:18 AM

Any kind of wire around deer is asking for one to get caught in it mostly sooner than later. Fifty two inch X sixteen foot cow panels with a T-post every 8 feet will keep them out. They will jump hog panels.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Cattle problem - 09/19/09 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
Any kind of wire around deer is asking for one to get caught in it mostly sooner than later. Fifty two inch X sixteen foot cow panels with a T-post every 8 feet will keep them out. They will jump hog panels.

There ya go, barbwire or any wire is just asking for a tragedy. Panels all the way.

Re: Cattle problem - 09/19/09 02:00 PM

Yes, cattle pen panels will work. BUT is there a cheaper fool-proof alternative? I'm a poor, broke SOB!!!!

Posted By: Kurt

Re: Cattle problem - 09/19/09 11:44 PM

Stupidest thing I've seen is high fencing with a strand of barb on top.

Posted By: Kurt

Re: Cattle problem - 09/19/09 11:46 PM

I've had deer get hung up in cattle panel. "Stuff" happens.

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Cattle problem - 09/20/09 02:44 AM

I've seen it too, once, but I've seen them in barbed wire and just regular tension wires a heck of a lot more than once.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Cattle problem - 09/20/09 11:06 AM

Same here.

Posted By: TUFBOY

Re: Cattle problem - 09/20/09 01:24 PM

There was a study done by A&M Kingsville that stated that a 34" cattle panel worked best to keep cattle and hogs away from feeders.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum