Texas Hunting Forum

Home made barrel feeder

Posted By: Dropp-243

Home made barrel feeder - 09/03/20 07:25 PM

How how long should I make the legs? They will rest on the bottom of the barrel.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 09/03/20 08:10 PM

Depends on the angle of the legs, and how high you want the top of the drum.
Posted By: Dropp-243

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 09/03/20 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Depends on the angle of the legs, and how high you want the top of the drum.

Good point
Posted By: PMK

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 09/03/20 09:17 PM

I have made a variety of different lengths of legs based on the location I was placing them. Out near Ozona, I use 6-8' legs with 4" PVC pipe to coon proof. My places in Burnet county and Freestone county I go with 4' legs to make it easier to fill from the bed of my RTV (not near the coon problem at these places) with coon cages. The angle comes into play too as stated above, to get a wide enough stance to stabilize the feeder due to wind, hogs, livestock, etc.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 09/05/20 11:48 PM

I've cut all my feeder barrel legs down to a height that I can lift and dump 50# bag in while standing. Stake all 3 legs really good and really good coon/hog cage. So much easier than ladders, steps, standing on back of utv etc for 55 gal feeders
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 01/04/21 08:39 PM

I've made two of these. They are hard to fill however at the height I made them however cows can walk under them. I'm working on adding a ladder to one of mine. What I'm finding is I can't stand 6 volt motors on my feeders. Do yourself a favor in the beginning and get 12 volt motors.
Posted By: Perforce Outdoors

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 01/08/21 06:15 PM

The higher the better in my opinion. I like at least 6’ of clearance under the box.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 01/10/21 05:04 PM

I’ve made a few of the 55 gal stand and fill feeders. No coon hog or cow problem after two years [Linked Image]
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 01/10/21 05:08 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 01/10/21 07:18 PM

You should build it short, make it where you don’t have to climb anything to fill it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 01/10/21 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
You should build it short, make it where you don’t have to climb anything to fill it.

[Linked Image]

This.
Posted By: booskay

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 01/11/21 01:08 AM

Here's a pic of rogue cows tearing down my feeder,, it started about 9' up in the air, a 1500 lb cow pushing against a leg will knock down your feeder no matter how well it is staked down. I know building a feeder is a fun project , as long as you dont have rogue cows you are ok. Here is a pic of how my problem was solved. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Home made barrel feeder - 01/11/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by booskay
Here's a pic of rogue cows tearing down my feeder,, it started about 9' up in the air, a 1500 lb cow pushing against a leg will knock down your feeder no matter how well it is staked down. I know building a feeder is a fun project , as long as you dont have rogue cows you are ok. Here is a pic of how my problem was solved. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

👍👍
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum