Texas Hunting Forum

solar pannels?

Posted By: lubbockdave

solar pannels? - 05/26/09 06:24 AM

can I mount my solar pannels in the field with a barrel full of corn? Or do I need to bring them back to the house once they are empty and use a heavy duty drill?

Dave

Posted By: helomech

Re: solar pannels? - 05/26/09 06:26 AM

You can mount them in the field. I just drilled some holes in the box under the feeder and screwed the panels to the side of the box.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: solar pannels? - 05/26/09 07:42 PM

Use some self tapping screws and cordless drill is all you need.

Posted By: lubbockdave

Re: solar pannels? - 05/26/09 08:39 PM

kind of what i figured...gonna place my order today, but already have the barrels out running...

Thanks again fellas!

Dave

Posted By: bholt

Re: solar pannels? - 05/30/09 05:23 PM

Helo is right dont give them coons any more to hang onto than you have to.

Posted By: Kamikazie

Re: solar pannels? - 06/08/09 08:38 AM

Just lost my wiring to coons.....AGAIN. Heard you can use metal wiring conduit. Make sure you wiring is secure or else it is a coon's jungle gym!!!!

Posted By: atascosa_red

Re: solar pannels? - 06/08/09 09:26 PM

All of our feeders are the "winch-up type" and we have very little problems with coons. They try and climb up the poles but always end up on top of the feeders and can not get to the spinner plates. We do use solar panels and all of the wiring is in flexible metal conduit.

Re: solar pannels? - 06/09/09 03:56 AM

The winch feeder is the best way to go. They stand up to the abuse of hogs and cows and if equipped properly don,t give the critters anything to hold on to. If you have a decent size box for your timer you can attach your solor panel flat against the box. IT WILL keep your battery charged and not give the critters a hand(paw) hold.

Posted By: DCS

Re: solar pannels? - 06/09/09 03:21 PM

Quote:

Just lost my wiring to coons.....AGAIN. Heard you can use metal wiring conduit. Make sure you wiring is secure or else it is a coon's jungle gym!!!!

We have all of our solar charger wires in armoured cable.

http://www.hcrelectronics.com/photos%20img/solar%20panel%20cable.JPG

You could use pipe or conduit. Conduit should do it. Just plumb it up from the solar charger, down the barrel and into the feeder motor housing where the battery is. We use ammo boxes to mount the motor, timer and batteries in. In fact here it is. http://www.hcrelectronics.com/Feeders.htm

One bit of advice, you need to have a "drip loop" on that armoured cable or whatever you use going to the timer and battery. You WILL get rain water in the feeder motor components.

Posted By: Shake1

Re: solar pannels? - 07/06/09 03:56 AM

Use the rat cable setup as mentioned about. self tapping screws. Can do it with barrel full of corn. Can get them at:

http://www.westtexasfeedersupply.com/

Posted By: gogburn

Re: solar pannels? - 07/07/09 07:02 AM

I just ran my wiring through an old length of garden hose and taped each end with electrical tape. They've left it alone for over a year now.

Posted By: Deans

Re: solar pannels? - 07/18/09 04:49 PM

You can also run your wires inside the barrel to the timer and not worry about any varmint destroying the wiring.

Deans

Re: solar pannels? - 07/20/09 11:27 PM

Here is how I mount mine I just finnished this up for a customer. Solar panels are much better today and by mounting them this way along with the straigh legs of the winch feeder it gives critters less to hang onto which is the key. good luck

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum