Texas Hunting Forum

Funnels for 55 gallon drums

Posted By: David7912

Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 03/16/19 11:28 PM

Anyone make their own or find them cheap?
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 03/17/19 02:35 AM

20 at Academy. It is plastic, but a very thick plastic. I just bought one the other day.
Posted By: jimbob

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 03/17/19 03:55 AM

West texas feeder supply. Fits like a glove and on sale now. Good steel funnel.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 03/17/19 05:40 AM

I’ve used the academy style plastic funnel on many feeders (there are two different styles) get the thicker one.

The metal ones are better but, I’ve never had one break and you don’t have to order or drive across town to get one from academy
Posted By: pigslayer10

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 03/19/19 07:39 PM

Bass Pro used to carry the metal ones, not sure if they still do or not but worth checking into.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 03/20/19 03:22 PM

I made a few years ago ... used wide roof valley flashing and pop rivets. takes some time to snip and form but worked well. it was a bit of a PITB actually
Posted By: gollygee

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 03/31/19 04:53 PM

Buy the funnel first. Not all barrels are the same size.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 04/01/19 01:13 AM

I think the metal ones are adjustable
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 04/05/19 12:25 AM

This is what we use .. never had any problems

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/american-hunter-adjustable-game-feeder-funnel
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 04/06/19 06:26 PM

Plastic will split and collapse over time. I changed one out last year to a metal one due to having several inches of corn that turned to mush. But the plastic did last for about 8 years.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 04/07/19 06:36 PM

Depends on where you live but a lot of the larger feed stores south and west of San Antonio keep the metal and high density plastic funnels in stock. You can order directly from All Seasons also.
Posted By: Marshal

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 06/27/19 02:58 AM

I just bought the Wildgame Innovation Poly Funnel from Academy. I spent yesterday for over an hour trying to get the darn thing in my 55 gallon barrel feeder. I tried the straight in technique but it's about an 1/4 inch too big to fit that way. I then tried to put it in sideways and then line it up down at the bottom and that didn't work either. I even sprayed the inside of the barrel with WD-40 and it helped but I still couldn't get it to align. I know it will fit but I need to modify it somehow. I've left it out in the sun to get flexible but it's not quite enough. Does anyone else have any history putting one of these in? I think I can trim it down but I don't want to screw it up completely. I've got a really well built homemade stand and fill feeder. The barrel is welded to the base so removing it is not a option. Thanks in advance for the help.
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 06/27/19 11:39 AM

Elusive Wildlife has metal for 30, 55, 80 gallon barrels. Reasonable prices. They have a website so you can find their locations.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 06/27/19 02:14 PM

Measure the ID, add a few inches, buy tin snips, aluminized duct tape and galvanized flashing in appropriate width, cut your own. Have enough material to make/sell them for/to your buddies and make your money back.

Marker and a piece of string and you're ready to go
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 06/27/19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Marshal
I just bought the Wildgame Innovation Poly Funnel from Academy. I spent yesterday for over an hour trying to get the darn thing in my 55 gallon barrel feeder. I tried the straight in technique but it's about an 1/4 inch too big to fit that way. I then tried to put it in sideways and then line it up down at the bottom and that didn't work either. I even sprayed the inside of the barrel with WD-40 and it helped but I still couldn't get it to align. I know it will fit but I need to modify it somehow. I've left it out in the sun to get flexible but it's not quite enough. Does anyone else have any history putting one of these in? I think I can trim it down but I don't want to screw it up completely. I've got a really well built homemade stand and fill feeder. The barrel is welded to the base so removing it is not a option. Thanks in advance for the help.

lay the funnel in full sun, let it get good and hot and it will go down in there with some effort
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 06/29/19 02:32 AM

I used a length of 2x4 and big hammer to help it move down into the barrel. Worked very nicely.
Posted By: Marshal

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 06/29/19 02:27 PM

Finally got it to fit. Had it in the sun all day and still couldn't get it down. I cut the top rim and bottom rim off and forced it down with gentle persuasion from a hammer. Nice a snug now.
Posted By: Ron H

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 06/29/19 04:37 PM

I bought one of the metal ones from WesTex. It i is flat and you form it then tape it. I had a challenge but got it in successfully. I also have a plastic one that had to be cut at the relief cuts to fit. In both cases it helps to have orang utan arms!
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 07/01/19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by David Maas
Measure the ID, add a few inches, buy tin snips, aluminized duct tape and galvanized flashing in appropriate width, cut your own. Have enough material to make/sell them for/to your buddies and make your money back.

Can I be your buddy? Make me one? What do you sell yours for?
Posted By: WendlingKnives

Re: Funnels for 55 gallon drums - 07/10/19 10:37 PM

academy or buccees
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum