Texas Hunting Forum

Paintng inside a blind

Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Paintng inside a blind - 02/04/17 01:02 AM

I bought a 4x6 blind
I painted the back wall dark, to kind of hide our siloett
Should I paint the entire interior, or just the back wall?
The exterior is painted, and it has plexiglass windows all around
I have a roll of carpet, I aquired for free, that I am going to put in the floor
Also going to put a shelf in it, just because
What say THF?
I am open to any other ideas since this is my first blind that is not a popup
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/04/17 01:14 AM

I have painted and non-painted interior blinds. I also have exterior painted and non-painted blinds.
The painted ones seem more tidy and clean. The critters don't mind either way.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/04/17 01:23 AM

Exterior, medium to dark green. Interior a dark color (black, dark green, dark brown) cover movement, some type window coverings (curtains) silhouette self. Wear dark clothes. 2cents
Posted By: Stub

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/04/17 02:54 AM

If it is wood paint it up
Posted By: Pitman

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/04/17 03:28 AM

To me it depends on how close your blind is to the most likely target area. If you expect the deer to be approaching close, say under 100 yards, then i would paint the entire inside a dark color.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/04/17 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I have painted and non-painted interior blinds. I also have exterior painted and non-painted blinds.

I painted one solid black interior, seems easier to nap in, other than that no difference.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/04/17 09:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

I painted one solid black interior, seems easier to nap in, other than that no difference.

up sleep2
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/04/17 12:01 PM

There's one or two blinds on our place (they're all pretty rough) that have old feed sacks stapled over the side and back windows. Over time, some edges of the sacks have come unstapled. They flap and make all kinds of racket, letting light and shadows bounce all over the inside. You can dance a jig in these blinds, with deer under the feeder, and they never look up. banana2
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/04/17 05:16 PM

I painted mine a medium-dark green.....was more for protection of the wood than anything else....
Posted By: HCRman

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/06/17 03:20 PM

We always paint the inside or at least the ceiling a light blue. It tricks wasps they on nest because they think its sky. It works quite will.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/06/17 04:53 PM

Not to make this about skin color or anything but if your are not dark skinned I wouldn't paint it a dark color unless you are going to wear a dark face mask in the blind.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 02/07/17 05:59 PM

I never understood the point of a blind being painted any color specific over another. Paint on a blind is for protection of the structure and not for anything else. Deer don't care if a blind is white, pink, green, or camo. They just see a box there and the trick is to get it out early enough for them not to freak when they see it for the first, second or third times. Once they become accustomed to it, you could change colors to whatever and they won't care.

Inside a blind is all about minimizing your presence. I suspect deer are very keen to silhouette and having something to block that effect is key, although not absolutely necessary. I try to line up any blind with some sort of trees or brush so the back side has some silhouette protection. But, I have a blind in the middle of a wheat field that has no such protection, no shades on the windows and no curtains, and we shot plenty of deer out of it this year. So keeping movement to a minimum, is paramount for most, unless you have a blind that moves all the time (i.e. creekrunner).

For the most part, keeping your scent down and keeping your movement down works well enough, for some situations adding a little bit more helps (i.e. curtains, dark paint inside, camo tint on windows, etc), but would use that on a case by case basis.
Posted By: Reydonpete

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 03/04/17 11:27 PM

I've used some with interior painted dark colors and some blinds non painted interiors
Taken deer with bow from both, I think other factors can be more of concerns like scent control and quiet movements in the blind
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 03/21/17 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: brucet
I bought a 4x6 blind
I painted the back wall dark, to kind of hide our siloett
Should I paint the entire interior, or just the back wall?
The exterior is painted, and it has plexiglass windows all around
I have a roll of carpet, I aquired for free, that I am going to put in the floor
Also going to put a shelf in it, just because
What say THF?
I am open to any other ideas since this is my first blind that is not a popup

It it's a rifle blind and going to be set some distance from the feeder and more so elevated I would not bother painting the inside. If it's a blind for bow hunting, yes paint it dark (black) inside. Just my 2 pennies
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 03/23/17 03:15 PM

I carpeted the walls below my windows and painted the wood above the Windows black. I believe it makes it a lot harder for the deer to silhouette you.
Posted By: TXRobTRX

Re: Paintng inside a blind - 04/01/17 03:42 AM

Agree with Stub - if its wood paint it!

Painted mine dark green outside, dark brown inside.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum