Texas Hunting Forum

Protein feeders

Posted By: CutterBuck

Protein feeders - 01/13/09 09:15 PM

I'm going to feed protein this year and I was wondering what kind of feeders everyone uses and the price tag. I like the idea of a trough. Maybe some sort of cattle trough with a roof over it. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Protein feeders - 01/13/09 09:34 PM

We use the All Seasons 2000# model. Seems like it was less than $1000.00 but not by much.

Posted By: Shake1

Re: Protein feeders - 01/14/09 01:19 AM

http://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/
http://feedermax.com/
http://www.lamcofeeders.com/
http://www.bossbuck.com/
http://www.chas-mac.com/
http://www.jandlsales.com/

Posted By: fowlball

Re: Protein feeders - 01/15/09 03:41 AM

I'm using the Big Horn Metals protein feeders and I LOVE them. I've had the trough style ones and you are going to HATE them. Coons and other varmints sit in the trough on the feed and eat, making the trough nasty. Unless you build feed pens around your trough style feeds hogs are going to eat you out of house and home. Trust me. Spend the money and get some good ones that are fairly varmint proof. I went from the trough style feeders to the Big Horns and put a pen around them. My protein consumption went down by one third. The way I see it, the good feeders pay for themselves. Just my two cents.

www.bighornmetals.com

Posted By: nolanspawn

Re: Protein feeders - 01/15/09 06:35 AM

www.deerfeeder.com

Posted By: helomech

Re: Protein feeders - 01/15/09 06:46 AM

here is my home made protein feeder

Posted By: Rack'em Jay

Re: Protein feeders - 01/15/09 12:00 PM

that looks good

Re: Protein feeders - 01/15/09 08:48 PM

thanks, i got less than 100 dollars in it.

Posted By: bholt

Re: Protein feeders - 01/16/09 04:50 PM

Helo is right you can do it fo under a $100.00 by using a toilet flange. I have built them for some of my customers. I move the legs up higher on the drum and increase the leg angle but as long as it works it works.

Posted By: MogulRanch

Re: Protein feeders - 01/18/09 10:19 PM

We have big horn metal feeders and they work great. I'd recommend getting the largest feeder you can afford.

Posted By: whitetailfanatic

Re: Protein feeders - 01/20/09 06:31 AM

check the local feed stores or tractor supply stores they carry trough style feeders

Posted By: Shortmag

Re: Protein feeders - 01/21/09 11:16 PM

We used Bighorn in the past but we got tired of them clogging up and switched a little over a year ago. Now we are using HB feeders. They look somewhat like the bighorn but they seem to be more reliable, and they are more stout.

http://www.hbhuntingproducts.com/ProteinFeeders.php

Posted By: MogulRanch

Re: Protein feeders - 01/29/09 07:36 AM

i've never had our big horn feeders clog for what its worth that is besides maybe an eighth of an inch of caking up at the very end of the feeding tubes

Posted By: dirty bird

Re: Protein feeders - 01/29/09 08:21 AM

good idea by the helomech.
i am certain i can do that. maybe with a few adjustments and additions here and there i can get one to work
thanks

Re: Protein feeders - 01/29/09 05:33 PM

Quote:

good idea by the helomech.
i am certain i can do that. maybe with a few adjustments and additions here and there i can get one to work
thanks

I made mine from the directions of someone on here. So I can't take credit for the idea.

Posted By: bassinger

Re: Protein feeders - 02/01/09 07:38 AM

i bought me a feeder at academy on sale for $97. It comes with lid, Barrel, legs, and TIMER!! (save timer for repair on other feeders).

I bought the parts at home depot for 30-40 bucks, enough to make 2 of them....

cut glue and assemble...

I will try to get pictures of it out on the ranch soon..

Re: Protein feeders - 02/01/09 07:57 AM

Quote:

i bought me a feeder at academy on sale for $97. It comes with lid, Barrel, legs, and TIMER!! (save timer for repair on other feeders).

I bought the parts at home depot for 30-40 bucks, enough to make 2 of them....

cut glue and assemble...

I will try to get pictures of it out on the ranch soon..

Nice, but why didn't you just get the T for the bottom instead of the 4 way?

Posted By: B-swit

Re: Protein feeders - 02/01/09 09:59 AM

any pictures of how the tube is fixed to the barrel interested in making a couple

Re: Protein feeders - 02/01/09 10:01 AM

Quote:

any pictures of how the tube is fixed to the barrel interested in making a couple

It uses the toilet flanges, just cut the hole and stick the toilet flange through and bolt it up through the existing hole in the flange. Then just glue the pvc to the toilet flange.

Posted By: B-swit

Re: Protein feeders - 02/01/09 10:04 AM

thanks
kind of a dumb question i know

Re: Protein feeders - 02/01/09 10:06 AM

Quote:

thanks
kind of a dumb question i know

No, not dumb at all. I had to ask someone. If you look in the pic that I quoted you can see a pic of the flange. You can get them in 3" or 4" size. I got the 4" size, don't know if it really matters though.

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Protein feeders - 02/01/09 10:44 PM

Two things, 1) trough feeders are okay if you don't get any significant amount of moisture. Anything over about 1/4 inch of rain and in less than 12 hours you will have a smelly mess on your hands. Less than 1/4" of rain and you just get a crust that the deer can break through.

2) on the 4 way in the picture above. Nice idea. The only flaw is the tray portion of it could be too long if you get the above mentioned moisture. The pellets will soak it up and the moisture will back right up to the 4 way and clog it big time.

Also, on the legs. You will find out fairly quickly that the 3 segment legs are very unstable and are a giant pain if you try to move the feeder. At your first opportunity I would recommend you get solid 1 piece legs. JMO

Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Protein feeders - 02/05/09 08:08 AM

If you buy a t instead of 4 way on the bottom it will be cheaper and if you will leave the pipe whole on the ends aprox. 6-7" long you will have less moister in it and easier to clean out.just a suggestion.

Re: Protein feeders - 02/05/09 08:19 AM

The home made feeder listed above works well. although its hard to tell how he connected on bottom ? something inside I guess. Nice job on your feeder.

Re: Protein feeders - 02/05/09 08:22 AM

Quote:

these work well. although its hard to teel how he connected on bottom ? something inside. Nice job on your feeder.

Not sure of your question. The toilet flange is bolted to the inside of the barrel, and the rest is glued with pvc cement.

Re: Protein feeders - 02/05/09 08:24 AM

The deer have finally started using my protein feeder, it has been there since before hunting season, and they were not using it until recently here is a pic.

Re: Protein feeders - 02/05/09 08:28 AM

Ok Ive always put the flange on the outside. does this make it stronger than outside or is it about the same.

Re: Protein feeders - 02/05/09 08:33 AM

Quote:

Ok Ive always put the flange on the outside. does this make it stronger than outside or is it about the same.

Probably doesn't matter, I just did mine on the inside.

Re: Protein feeders - 02/05/09 08:37 AM

did you mix corn with it to start? I do. The deer will eat more at different times of the year than they will at others. Now thru May they eat more protein because their bodies need it now after the rut. I work on a high fence ranch and last year at this time I was puting out 20,000 pounds every 7 to 10 days in 3500# bulk feeders.

Posted By: TXBowhunter1

Re: Protein feeders - 02/05/09 08:42 AM

helo had a good teacher. heres a pic of the flange down thru the bottom. just use a jig saw or sawzall and cut a hole. it doesnt have to be perfect. i just use a T on the bottom, with a short extra piece of PVC. the protein wont flow out. the deer actually kick it to get the protein to come out. they empty both mine about every 3 weeks.

Re: Protein feeders - 02/05/09 09:01 AM

Quote:

helo had a good teacher. heres a pic of the flange down thru the bottom. just use a jig saw or sawzall and cut a hole. it doesnt have to be perfect. i just use a T on the bottom, with a short extra piece of PVC. the protein wont flow out. the deer actually kick it to get the protein to come out. they empty both mine about every 3 weeks.

Yes sir, and I am still thankful.

Re: Protein feeders - 02/05/09 09:01 AM

Quote:

did you mix corn with it to start? I do. The deer will eat more at different times of the year than they will at others. Now thru May they eat more protein because their bodies need it now after the rut. I work on a high fence ranch and last year at this time I was puting out 20,000 pounds every 7 to 10 days in 3500# bulk feeders.

At first I didn't, but I have a mix now.

Posted By: bassinger

Re: Protein feeders - 02/07/09 12:48 AM

i left the factory hole in the above feeder and placed toilet flange on outside of barrel (screws hold it on) then glued the piece of pipe (downtube) to the flange.

I put the little extensions on the T so the feed doesnt continuously flow out. It seems to work so far....

We will see in a week or so when I go check it.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum