Texas Hunting Forum

Wasps

Posted By: Ringer1

Wasps - 10/25/14 11:38 PM

We hunt in Throckmorton County and the wasps are out of control! In the past three weeks I've probably killed 10,000 wasps. That's probably a low estimate. My son and I can't hunt any of our stands because they are swarming each one. Are any of you having this same problem? I've bombed every stand and went as far as paying $100 for a quart of crap that has crisathamum oil in it that is supposed to deter them. Doesn't work.

Anyone have any advice?
Posted By: spg

Re: Wasps - 10/26/14 12:23 AM

Go to your local feed store and get some DemonX and spray the stands, first kill as many as you can.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Wasps - 10/26/14 12:51 AM

I know it's hard to put up with so many around, it's just natural this time of year. They are getting ready for the winter time, the good thing is usually they aint aggressive.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Wasps - 10/26/14 01:59 AM

My son and I hunted a tripod friday eve with them buzzingf all around us. they never landed anywhere near us and they buzzed all the way to sunset, then they went away. He was kinda freaked out at first, but it subsided after a few minutes seeing they weren't aggresive.

it wans't 10,000 though, we are talking in the low one-hundred count between tripod and feeder.
Posted By: n-all

Re: Wasps - 10/26/14 02:07 AM

I had so many dead ones in my blind one year it seemed like 10k of em..crazy..
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Wasps - 10/26/14 02:24 AM

Get a No Pest type strip like the ProZap to hang in the blinds. It will not kill them immediately but will kill them overnight if the blind is sealed pretty good.
Then spray all the corners and edges around the inside of the blind with the Demon WP also.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Wasps - 10/26/14 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Ringer1
We hunt in Throckmorton County and the wasps are out of control! In the past three weeks I've probably killed 10,000 wasps. That's probably a low estimate. My son and I can't hunt any of our stands because they are swarming each one. Are any of you having this same problem? I've bombed every stand and went as far as paying $100 for a quart of crap that has crisathamum oil in it that is supposed to deter them. Doesn't work.

Anyone have any advice?

Good luck Ringer as you know I'm not too far from you. I know on my place, the wasps aren't as bad as last year. I have made it a point to really seal up my windows this year. Last year I went into a blind on my first hunt in the dark to find about 200-300 wasps in my blind. Needless to say I had to move. Bombs and the stuff STX said all will work until the first freeze.
Posted By: Stan Dalone

Re: Wasps - 10/26/14 05:41 PM

Soapy water will kill wasps. Cheap, easy and low odor.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Wasps - 10/27/14 11:01 AM

I've used the fly strips and it worked pretty well.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Wasps - 10/27/14 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Get a No Pest type strip like the ProZap to hang in the blinds. It will not kill them immediately but will kill them overnight if the blind is sealed pretty good.
Then spray all the corners and edges around the inside of the blind with the Demon WP also.

This is the best method we have found. up
Posted By: B-Man

Re: Wasps - 10/29/14 09:40 PM

Really bad in Baylor County. Son and I hunted Sunday morning only to realize after walking down the stairs from our Texas Deer Stand blind that there were thousands pouring out from the 4 legs attached to the underside of the blind. 4 cans of wasp spray did some damage but ruined our afternoon hunt. Going back this weekend with more spray and spray foam sealer to fill the cracks & crevaces.

I also hung 2 wasp traps from the porch. There were hundreds in them when we retuned that afternoon.

All other guys on ranch had same problems. Really bad this year.
Posted By: Aggiedukmaster

Re: Wasps - 10/30/14 04:50 PM

Hunting S. T'Morton Co. and 10k is not an exaggeration. I don't count them by the #'s, I count them by the POUND!! Way Worse than previous yr.s, ran 'Em out w/ Wasp spray last week. Hopefully they won't be there tomorrow!!

Thanks Guys for the Pest Strip Idea!! Good Luck this Weekend!!

SK
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum