Texas Hunting Forum

Anybody Have a Cedar Blind?

Posted By: wacorusty

Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/06/14 01:51 PM

I am going to replace an old plywood box with a new tower. I'm torn between a typical fiberglass (http://www.tboxblinds.com/4x8-blinds.html) or one of these cedar ones: http://www.texascedarblinds.com/
Posted By: Weegs

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/06/14 03:13 PM

We have 3 Texas Cedar Blinds on our lease. It is not as nice as the Fiberglass blind you are considering but I would not trade you for it. What I like about the Texas Cedar Blind is that it comes apart into the base, 4 walls, and the roof, all of which can be handled by two people. This makes it much easier to move without equipment. Now, in the interest of full disclosure what I don't like is that the cedar has dried out in our Texas Sun. We have put sealer on one of the blinds and Restore10X on another. Time will tell which approach lasts the longest. Also, the windows and roof joints do not seal Wasp Tight so you will want to hang a pest strip in the blind to avoid winged pests from moving in. My $.02 worth, happy hunting

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/06/14 06:34 PM

Thanks for the help Weegs. They are great looking boxes, but I am a little worried about the life compared to the fiberglass, especially in the West Texas Sun.
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/06/14 08:25 PM

My .02....Thompson's water seal every couple of years!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/06/14 10:51 PM

I'd ask the company that makes the cedar blinds what they suggest.

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/07/14 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I'd ask the company that makes the cedar blinds what they suggest.

I asked him about staining it and he said that was a good idea.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/08/14 01:45 PM

I bought a cedar blind from Brad 3 years ago. For the money, it was a great investment and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have not had any issues with wasps, but the blind did fade significantly by the end of year one.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/08/14 05:12 PM

I bet them cedar blinds hold up good. And they look cool.
I re-sided and old blind with cedar fence pickets 10 years ago, because it was cheap and easy to do on location. I spoke with the land owner a while back and they said it is still in good shape. If I had it to do over again I would have done the Thompsons Water Seal. At the time I thought it was temporary.

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/17/14 02:05 PM

Pulled the trigger.

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/17/14 02:29 PM

Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/17/14 02:45 PM

Nice looking setup.
Posted By: Chris Burton

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/18/14 04:34 AM

Glad you put this thread on here. I have been thinking about buying one. Just made my mind up. I will be calling him for a blind.

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/18/14 08:58 PM

Wacorusy, nice looking set-up. Should be lots of fun for years to come. Two comments....
* How is that thing anchored? I would hate to see the thing blown over.
* While it is new and secure, run some long screws in that base. If yours is like ours, they were put together with nails only and some of the boards have twisted as they dried. If you get some threaded fasteners in now you should avoid issues later.

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/18/14 10:08 PM

It's right on the tank dam, and the wind howls right there so we had the same notion. We drove some t-posts in underneath and tied it with straps. When I go back I'm going to use some heavy cable. I'm also going to use some plumbing strap all the way around the actual box to strengthen the connection to the tower. Adding a clear coat too.

up
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/18/14 11:01 PM

It would be interesting to know how many bugs (spiders/wasps) you end up having with the cedar planks. I know that it makes a great closet liner. Seems like for a while the cedar smell might help cover other hunter odors, too. Sure looks purty!

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/18/14 11:57 PM

It has a great smell. I imagine it will fade quick.

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/27/14 11:05 AM

I need to anchor this stand. I have two tposts set underneath and am going to use steel cable and eye bolts. What do you call the things that you tie the cable together with? Clamps?
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 08/27/14 01:06 PM

wire clamps or cable clamps
Posted By: TC hunter

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 09/03/14 05:36 PM

I wouldn't think t posts are strong enough if I were you I'd use a trailer house anchor that's 18in
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 09/03/14 05:41 PM

great sent cover
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 09/04/14 05:27 AM

Nice looking set up, unless you have cedar allergies it should be great.

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 10/11/14 03:21 PM

Ripped the tposts out of the ground.

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 10/11/14 05:45 PM

OMG. When? Serious bummer but thanks for posting. All of us have to learn from your experience. How deep did you drive the T-Posts? Being up on the dam I guess the soil just did not have the holding power for a straight up tension load.

Again, bummer. frown
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 10/11/14 09:14 PM

frown Dang shame. I have seen that happen way to often when using T-post only to guy a deer blind.

Re: Anybody Have a Cedar Blind? - 10/14/14 01:51 PM

The posts were about 4 1/2 ft in, but I guess the soil was too loose. I wanted to pile some trees around it and tie it down some more, but didn't have the chance. Only been there one and a half months. Didn't even get a chance to hunt out of it. After cleaning up the house and getting power back on Saturday afternoon I put my waders on and pulled most of it out of the tank. I should be able to salvage 75% of it, but putting it back together with what little time I have available will be a challenge. Real kick in the head, but crying ain't gonna fix it. I'll build it back stronger.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum