Texas Hunting Forum

When do you start feeding corn?

Posted By: spg

When do you start feeding corn? - 07/04/14 05:53 PM

What time of the year do y'all start feeding corn? Currently I'm keeping protien out and I'll start up the corn feeders in August or September.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/04/14 08:59 PM

I generally feed a short burst year round. I will typically turn them up to normal feeding around the middle of August to first of September.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/04/14 09:20 PM

I used to feed only from August till March since I feed protein. Starting and training deer to eat protein I have continued to feed year round for 2 yrs now on this place. Feed 2 seconds twice a day before daylight and after dark is all though till Sept then I will bump it up and move to regular daylight feeding times.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/05/14 02:45 AM

My feeders run year round, with short bursts until September. Keeps them comfortable with the area.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/05/14 04:57 AM

I did feed year round until I developed hog and crow problem. Just got corn out today and set all feeders for 2s @ 10:00p & 4:00a. Plan to be sitting at one of them at 10p next weekend if the pics show what I think they will.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/05/14 01:48 PM

Corn never stops.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/05/14 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Corn never stops.

Yep.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/05/14 04:31 PM

Never stop....have been feeding at 7:00 am & 5:30 pm. Going to try STX method to see what happens.
Posted By: bholt

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/05/14 04:42 PM

X2 just adjust the run time, another reason is that during the year with an inactive feeder the motor may have a tendency to stick or seize up.
Posted By: tuckerracing

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/05/14 07:15 PM

I corn feed all year, when season is over I leave the time it throws the same and turn down the speed and seconds it runs to the lowest setting.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/07/14 08:48 PM

Corn never stops.

This
Posted By: Erny

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/08/14 02:39 AM

Never stop, feed year round.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/08/14 03:06 AM

I started about 14 yrs ago and haven't stopped since (at least not more than a couple of weeks)

I feed less during spring and more come Sept.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/10/14 02:18 AM

Jan 01 to Dec 31
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/10/14 03:35 AM

I feed year round, anywhere from 7-14 seconds twice a day depending on month & rainfall.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/10/14 06:19 PM

Protein feed from April until mid to late August. Get the corn out then and feed twice for 8-10 seconds. 7 am and 5:30 pm feed times.
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/10/14 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: TX_LT230FH
Corn never stops.

Yep.

Same here and been letting the protein flow foe a few months now
Posted By: passthru

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/10/14 06:48 PM

They day I set up my feeder and continuing on until I set it up somewhere else.
Posted By: Riddler72

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/11/14 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
Originally Posted By: TX_LT230FH
Corn never stops.

Yep.

Same here and been letting the protein flow foe a few months now

What he said..
Posted By: Texas Bohunk

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/12/14 12:50 AM

We feed some corn year round. Feed protein from January thru at least September.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/13/14 12:22 AM

Since I'm new on my place this year I've had mine feeding since I filled it on may 5th. 4s at 7a and 7p. It's a mix of pellets and corn and the deer are hitting it every day.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/13/14 02:41 PM

I am lucky to have great food plots for most of the year. I run corn to hog hunt on one feeder usually. I also like to fill a couple protein feeders (with a spin feeder next to it) around the end of November and keep them full until end of February. Last year I filled up the protein feeder in September and it didn't even get hit until a big snow we got around Christmas. From then until the first week of Feb, we filled it every week. Going to wait until November to fill the gravity feeders this year.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/14/14 09:14 PM

I only feed Indian Corn starting in October.
Posted By: artrios60

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/22/14 01:21 AM

Mine is probably a different situation since HF, but we start corn in Sept and it runs out usually in Mid Jan. We have 4 2000# corn feeders throwing 4sec bursts 4 times a day. Its just a reminder dinner bell. At the same areas we have free choice protein available year round also
Posted By: Stub

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/22/14 03:25 PM

I feed all year. April - June or July, I turn the timer down to throw for only 4 seconds twice a day. August through March throwing 8 seconds!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/22/14 03:32 PM

My plots gave me a break for the last few months but bout to shred them down and have been corning a few roads and rideaways
Posted By: GLC

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/22/14 07:50 PM

Year round, does come in regularly, they have fawns so the fawns get use to coming in regularly, bucks eventually follow the does in. That is the reason I feed year round.
Posted By: taylormade820

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/23/14 03:23 AM

yall think its a bad idea to feed corn year around? i know i should be feeding more protein but the deer in my area have a lot of natural food sources high in protein. thanks
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/23/14 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: taylormade820
yall think its a bad idea to feed corn year around? i know i should be feeding more protein but the deer in my area have a lot of natural food sources high in protein. thanks

Feeding corn year around is fine. I would put out a protein block for them though. If there is enough natural feed then I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted By: taylormade820

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/24/14 12:30 AM

awesome thanks. yeah i just felt like i was going to spoil them with the corn and keep them from eating acorns etc. i am on a new place that hasnt been hunted and the genetics are great. i know the neighbor hunts though
Posted By: Western

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/25/14 10:03 PM

I cut mine back at green up, but always throw some to keep their gut accustomed to it. Do some research on quick feeding corn and for a short time.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/26/14 01:59 AM

I'm filling mine this week. I'll feed July til the end of season.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/26/14 02:15 AM

Year round buffet for my critters
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 07/26/14 03:08 AM

Never Stop! Throw year round.
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/01/14 02:29 AM

I have so much feed,the deer hardly hit the feeder during sept and oct…I feed protein gravity feeder year long, but broadcast feeder is off sept and oct.
okiehuntr
Posted By: DLFant

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/01/14 07:46 PM

2 Weeks before i want to shoot
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/01/14 08:52 PM

I have question about where most of you guys buy your corn. Found some today at D&L Farm supply for 9.79 a 50. Is that the going price or can it be found cheaper. I'm new to feeders and just wanted to get some advice. Thanks for any opinions and advice.
Posted By: Pierce

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/02/14 12:51 AM

Look around at some other places, shouldn't be too hard to find it cheaper than that. I know Tractor Supply and Academy are selling it cheaper than $9.79 for 50lbs. Might vary depending on where you are at but definitely look at some other places.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/06/14 02:13 AM

Academy in Abilene is 6.49 40 lbs. Jackson Bros feed store is 8.50 a 50lb bag
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/06/14 02:31 AM

Less then $8 for 50lbs at HEB and walmart.
Posted By: JBJTX81

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/06/14 02:48 AM

The deer go where the groceries are. I feed year round. Slow it down feb through aug to about 12 sec a day. I am one of the few on our place that feed corn year round as well as put our alfalfa hay and mineral blocks. I also see more deer and shoot bigger bucks. I've had the same stand location for about 12 years. you can see the deer trails coming and going to my stand from google earth. it looks like a spider web. no one else has traffic like that on our place.
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/06/14 08:32 PM

Feed, Feed, Feed is my philosophy!
Posted By: DANIEL32

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/12/14 01:13 PM

I feed august-end of season....I use to feed year round but haven't noticed a difference in the number of deer I'm seeing since I switched 3 years ago

August-Mid September: 2 times a day for 3 seconds
Mid September-October: 2 times a day for 4 seconds
November-End if season: 2 times a day for 5 seconds

Posted By: Arrowslinger82

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/17/14 05:04 AM

F O R E V E R!!!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/17/14 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: taylormade820
awesome thanks. yeah i just felt like i was going to spoil them with the corn and keep them from eating acorns etc. i am on a new place that hasnt been hunted and the genetics are great. i know the neighbor hunts though

I don't think you have to worry about them not eating acorns. They prefer them.
Posted By: HaveGunWillHunt

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/17/14 07:54 PM

I run my feeders year round. Also run protein Purina Antler Max from March to August as well as corn.
Posted By: MoTex

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/19/14 12:13 AM

I don't stop, feed year round
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/22/14 03:37 AM

About 6 years ago....
Posted By: tmkbdd

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/22/14 11:05 PM

Year round also, turn down timer in off season.
Posted By: Franklin517

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 08/26/14 03:09 PM

Never stop
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 09/10/14 01:04 PM

Do any of you have hogs eating your corn? If so, does it affect the deer coming in? I've been running my feeder year round with a good mixture of deer and hogs eating it, but it seems over the last year, the deer have stopped coming in more and more to the point I rarely get any pics of them on my game camera anymore. I shot 8 hogs in two months and that seems to have scared the rest away, but the deer are still not coming around like they used to. Over the weekend I cut some logs up to create a barrier to keep the hogs out. Just one log high, all around the feeder. I've never seen a hog jump over anything, so I'm hoping this will deter them.
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 09/10/14 05:14 PM

Walmart has corn $6.49 40#, $8 something for 50#
50# to heavy to carry up ladder to put in feeder.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: When do you start feeding corn? - 09/11/14 09:38 PM

I feed corn and protein pellets mixed together. I have a spin cast feeder that does not clog and the feeder is surrounded by hog panels. I feed year round but I only feed in the mornings (1 hour after the sun rises) from February through August. Reason being is that an afternoon/evening feed tends to feed more raccoons. I feed it heavy in the mornings and it gets eaten up by mid afternoon. The deer have plenty of green brush to eat. But with deer season approaching and hunting season, I will throw morning and late afternoon. Corn and pellets are expensive. Feed it wisely!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum