Texas Hunting Forum

Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow

Posted By: JamesNewHunter

Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 04/23/14 06:53 PM

I recently finished a big remodeling project and I've got all the tools and materials I need. What I'm looking for is ideas on the MUST HAVE features I should include. I've been lucky enough to hunt in at least 20 different blinds in my life and I've yet to find the perfect blind for me. I'm sure everyone has their own preferences, but any input would be appreciated. For sure I want to include the following:

1. Lift up, not slide windows
2. Sound dampening floor
3. Insulation - I hate being cold
4. Shelf and cup holders
5. Door opens out, not in
6. Possible PVC urinal/pee hole?

What else guys?
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 04/24/14 12:20 AM

Use the horse stall rubber mats from Tractor Supply,,,they are kid proof ! LOL

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 04/24/14 02:12 AM

You mean for the floor? Thanks, that seems like a really good idea. I've been known to knock things over or drop things and it really sucks if it makes a loud noise.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 04/24/14 02:37 AM

I much prefer slide windows. I make em myself.

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 04/25/14 01:18 AM

I feel like you lose out on half of the useful window with slide windows. Am I missing something?
Posted By: magnolia_beach

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/01/14 12:35 PM

In my experience the hinged windows like you buy from Deerview are much easier to use than sliders. Plus, they are easier to clean both sides.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/01/14 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: ghostman
In my experience the hinged windows like you buy from Deerview are much easier to use than sliders. Plus, they are easier to clean both sides.

My thoughts as well. Had all kinds of stands with all kinds of windows over the many years I've been hunting. I like the Deerview type windows the best.

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/01/14 10:48 PM

Slide windows do restrict the opening, but the sliders give me what I want...which is the ability to have the window open as much or as little as I want. I have one blind that faces due North. That wind comes howling right in whatever size opening I choose, so I can choose to close the window and then open if I see a critter. The flip up or flip down windows are all the way open all the time or all the way closed. I've got one blind like that and the windows are the only thing I don't like.
Posted By: Mathp

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/03/14 07:15 PM

Deerview door works good as well
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/04/14 12:27 AM

Sliding where both sections slide. To me if you have a windows that opens upward to get your needed width the opening is then to large.
Posted By: bholt

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/04/14 01:59 PM

I spend quite a bit of time in a blind so my #1 recommendation will be size and comfort and only you can answer that. I have two both built more than 8 years ago. They are 5 X 5' metal siding, insulated, indoor carpeting, 3/4" flooring, shelves, both at windows and along one side and above front window.
Take your time think it out and let your imagination go wild, it may be expensive but it all depends on what you are looking for, done right it will last a very long time.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/04/14 05:59 PM

Removable screens, I hate fighting bugs on warm days. I framed screen on 1x2's, and they are held in place with eye hooks on the wall and cup hooks on the screen. They are not a 100% bug proof because they do not seal tight, but they keep out 99% of them. Pick up to remove and sit on the floor. I have also used hinges so they can be flipped up on the inside.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/04/14 07:06 PM

I prefer my own windows I make that slide up and down. I do not like large windows that go from corner to corner, leaves to much open area to be silhouetted. I used 3/4" treated plywood for flooring and cover it with carpet. Like posted above go bigger than you think. I made my blinds 4'x6'x8' tall and now wished I would have made them 5'x6' since I take a camera and tripod with me in the blind. Plenty of room if I do not have the tripod. I have 1 office chair with arms and midback and one smaller office chair in mine. I used a 2"x4" as my window ledge that runs around the blind at the bottom of the windows. You could use even a 2"x6" or 2"x8" also. Make your windows high enough for comfort for yourself but also take into consideration kids hunting. I built 3 new blinds 4'x6'x8' tall 2 yrs ago out of treated lumber, plywood liner under roof, tin roof, homemade lexan windows, painted and hardiboard siding and the 3 ran me $1100 total.

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/04/14 07:54 PM

The last one I made (4x4) cost between $250 and $300, not counting paint.
Posted By: plasticdpi

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/15/14 02:15 AM

I prefer sliders but vertical rather than horizontal. I bought aluminum "C" channel from Home Depot and mounted it on the outside of the windows then cut Lexan to fit. To raise and lower I attached a strap (from Academy used to tie up sleeping bags etc) to the bottom of the Lexan and screwed the buckle to the inside wall of the stand. I can raise or lower the window as much or little as I want without any visible movement to critters outside.
Posted By: CDB65

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 05/19/14 04:51 PM

Spend the money, buy Deer View Windows. They have a great web site and Tyler is great to work with. www.deerviewwindows.com

Chad David Outdoors
www.chaddavidoutdoors.com
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Building First Blind, Need Input, Pics to Follow - 06/04/14 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: CDB65
Spend the money, buy Deer View Windows. They have a great web site and Tyler is great to work with. www.deerviewwindows.com

Chad David Outdoors
www.chaddavidoutdoors.com

Good advice. Unless your blind will be in shade all the time I would go with real glass for windows. The Texas sun and wind and dust will quickly frost up and scratch your view. I would highly recommend using either corragated tin skin or hardi board for your walls. Wood is a PIA to make last in the elements. I prefer the tin skin. Some of my blinds are ten years old and look like the day I put them out except the paint slightly fading. My latest design is 4x6 with a veranda over the front windows that doubles as a great shelf/storage space. I would never consider a size smaller than this.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum