Texas Hunting Forum

Blind windows

Posted By: NBH

Blind windows - 02/21/14 03:21 AM

Ok I have the frame of my deer stand done and will be skinning it tomorrow. So here's my question- which are better windows, sliding or flip down? The frame for the window section is 1x5ft. I'm either going to use sliding, flip down, or even run a rope to the outside of the flip style window and have it open outwards. Thanks.
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Blind windows - 02/21/14 02:06 PM

Living in the colder Northern climates, we prefer glass/PVC sliding windows. Cause little distraction to alert game and keeps the cold weather out. Opening a PVC slider is silent.

Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Blind windows - 02/26/14 08:33 PM

Where do you get those windows? How much?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Blind windows - 02/26/14 09:12 PM

Deerview windows are great. They seal up well and don't let water in and they flip up or down real easy and quiet. Plus, they can make them custom to your size needed and they are great people to work with. Located in Mansfield tx, they replaced one of my broken glass windows in a matter of
Minutes when my
Blind blew over.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Blind windows - 02/26/14 09:44 PM

I checked out their website. Did you get the "hinge" windows? Those are the ones I think I would want, and they're the cheapest too.
Posted By: TheHunted

Re: Blind windows - 02/26/14 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Luke
I checked out their website. Did you get the "hinge" windows? Those are the ones I think I would want, and they're the cheapest too.

I am the owner of DeerView. If you would like additional photos of the "Hinge Window" or would like to discuss options, feel free to call our office at 817-991-0394 or you can email me tyler@deerviewwindows.com
Posted By: FreerOrBust

Re: Blind windows - 02/26/14 10:10 PM

Well I will vouch for Deerview. They are awesome people and will tackle and project, I had a custom 8foot wide window made and it was awesome! Got a couple more stands I need to add these too! Totally recommend them.
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Blind windows - 02/27/14 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Captain Luke
Where do you get those windows? How much?

Home Depot....about $60 each.

Re: Blind windows - 02/27/14 04:02 PM

Email sent to all who asked.
Posted By: kamolaw

Re: Blind windows - 03/12/14 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Deerview windows are great. They seal up well and don't let water in and they flip up or down real easy and quiet. Plus, they can make them custom to your size needed and they are great people to work with. Located in Mansfield tx, they replaced one of my broken glass windows in a matter of
Minutes when my
Blind blew over.
This is the way to go...great product good company
Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Blind windows - 03/13/14 01:55 PM

^^^Absolutely, and he'll cut them to your size of window, none too small or too big.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Blind windows - 03/13/14 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: kamolaw
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Minutes when my
Blind blew over.
This is the way to go...great product good company

Just picked mine up last week. Have not installed yet but cant wait. Great guys there. Tyler will set you up.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Blind windows - 03/15/14 11:39 PM

I just make all my own sliding plexiglass windows. Pretty easy if you have a table saw, but you do need a table saw. I frame the window in 2x4's cut to size and in a rectangular shape to fit the side of the blind. I use the table saw to cut the channel that the sindows slide in. Pretty simple process. Best to use non-treated 2x4's so the slide channels in the top and bottom of the window don't shrink when the treated 2x4 dries. I learned that after a few sticking and totally stuck plexiglass panels.

And...to cut the plexiglass to the desired shape, you do that on the table saw also, but sandwich the plexiglass with thin plywood so that you won't get any chipping or shattering of the plexiglass. You don't have to cut through the top piece of plywood. You just need the sawblade tall enough to get through the bottom piece of plywood and the plexiglass and just make a shallow cut in the top of the plywood sandwich.

You need two channels in both the upper and lower 2x4's so that the plexiglass panels will slide past each other. Cut the lower channels about 1/4 inch deep. Cut the upper channels more like 3/4 inches deep. That way you can fit the top edge of the plexiglass in the deep upper channel, which will give you enough room to then fit the lower edge of the panel in the shallow lower channel.

Most all of my box blinds have windows like that. I do have one 'bought' blind, by Redneck Blinds. I like it a lot, but it has the flip up windows and they just aren't as convenient as the sliding panel windows. That flip window is either all the way up or all the way down. The sliding panel windows can be open as much or as little as I like.

Of course, you can buy sliding windows, but I can make each of these for a max of $5 worth of plywood and whatever the plexiglass costs.
Posted By: whitetailfanatic

Re: Blind windows - 03/18/14 04:04 PM

The hunters windows are número UNO flip up style easy to install and I tinted mine!!
Sliding windows make noise
Posted By: GLC

Re: Blind windows - 03/18/14 07:48 PM

Deerview windows all the way, good people there.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Blind windows - 03/21/14 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Deerview windows all the way, good people there.

^^^^^^^^^^Love Deer View Windows!!! Great people to work with, too.

Re: Blind windows - 03/25/14 03:14 PM

Thank you for the kind comments.

www.deerviewwindows.com
Posted By: plasticdpi

Re: Blind windows - 04/24/14 04:42 AM

I did mine a little differently. They slide vertically - used "C" channel from Home Depot for the guides on the sides of the windows and put Lexan in for the windows. To raise and lower them I bought some of the webbed straps from Academy that are used to strap sleeping bags etc and cut the buckle off which I screwed to the inside wall of the stand in the center of the window. I then took the rest of the strap and screwed it to the bottom center of the window running it inside the window to the buckle. To lower the window you just release the buckle and lower the window - it's very quiet and any movement is inside the blind behind a wall so the deer aren't spooked. To raise the window you just pull the strap raising the window and snap the buckle. Pretty weathertight and you can watch through full size windows if the weather is bad. Worked well for several years now.
Posted By: CDB65

Re: Blind windows - 04/25/14 03:14 AM

DEER VIEW ALL THE WAY!!!! Is there another window for a blind. Here is the sliding windows in our executive blind. The long ones are 30 inches short ones are 24 inches. Get Deer Views for your new or current blind they can custom build them!

Chad Butler
www.chaddavidoutdoors.com
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Blind windows - 04/26/14 02:19 PM

Do you happen to have any pictures?
Posted By: Bigl

Re: Blind windows - 04/30/14 01:47 PM

Got my deer views in a couple if days ago and had them installed in about 20 minutes and they were all I was hoping for. I chose the flip up style.
They were also delivered in a short time.
Thanks and a great product.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum