Texas Hunting Forum

Framing a deer blind

Posted By: 2wheelz4me

Framing a deer blind - 12/04/08 09:12 PM

Has anyone ever framed out a blind with metal studs vs wood. I would think it would be lighter and less prone to harsh weather elements. Thoughts??

Posted By: tchunter

Re: Framing a deer blind - 12/04/08 10:56 PM

if you have it, use it. It will work

Posted By: helomech

Re: Framing a deer blind - 12/04/08 11:03 PM

3 of my 4 stans have a metal frame.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Framing a deer blind - 12/05/08 05:18 PM

+1 . Even though a cpl of the stands I had framed out of square tubing and angle iron didn't completely survive the harsh weather (Rita & Ike). But instead of building new ones, heating up everything that bent and bending it back out just cost me the gas in the generator instead of making new stands.

Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Framing a deer blind - 12/06/08 04:58 PM

yes my stand is all metal. except the floor. it is lighter than wood. It was harder to seal the ail out due to I used R pane's for the wall's. The frame is 1 1/2 angel but the bracing is 2X4 metal stud's. You can see a pic of it on this page around a year ago under My New Home.

Posted By: EastTxHunter1

Re: Framing a deer blind - 12/09/08 07:43 AM

Mine in framed out of 1in1/2 square tubing

Posted By: FeederHelperGuy

Re: Framing a deer blind - 12/10/08 04:49 AM

I think metal studs are a great idea, smart thinking.

Posted By: gfarley

Re: Framing a deer blind - 12/18/08 04:26 PM

I have built several out of 1" sq tubing, and r panel. Not much lighter, but they last forever. I am trying to get a price on the skin that is used on enclosed trailers to try that also. If I come up with anything worth a flip, I will post it on here.

Posted By: jodirt

Re: Framing a deer blind - 12/20/08 11:57 PM

I built one out of 4" cee and R panel. I put metal builing insulation in it and closures. With the windows closed that thing gets warm fast and stays warm. Its a lot lighter than the one I have out of wood.

Posted By: Daddyboy

Re: Framing a deer blind - 12/23/08 03:26 AM

I built one this summer out of 1 5/8" 20 ga metal studs and put 1/4" plywood on exterior. I panelized it into 4 walls and roof the tec screwed together once I got to lease.

Posted By: DCS

Re: Framing a deer blind - 01/07/09 03:52 PM

Ours are built out of square tubing and angle iron. The frame is angle iron. I drilled holes in the angle and bolted on the plywood. Been using them for 11 years now.

Posted By: ggunn1

Re: Framing a deer blind - 01/10/09 09:26 AM

one of the best blinds i have ever had..i deliver comercial glass to jobsites throughout the metroplex and are always looking to scavenge materials for the deer lease..Well i came across some thrown away metal airconditioning duct..this stuf was probably in sections 4 foot long by 4 foot highbut only 2 foot wide..well i got two of them and hauled them home well i split each one into and put in a 3 foot by 4 foot plywood spacer on top and bottom..i cut one forward opening hole to see my feeder thru..it was insulated with heat resistant blackboard..i then put a plywood door and wood latch and put the whole thing on a elevated forklift skid..warmest blind i have ever had..kinda warm if the sun was too bright anything over 75 degrees and it was too hot..but the place i was hunting made it an awesome year to remember...

Posted By: Paulpaul

Re: Framing a deer blind - 01/13/09 03:58 AM

Here ya go. All metal frame. And light!

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Framing a deer blind - 01/13/09 08:20 AM

good idea, that one looks like it would be easy to hang shelves in.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum