Texas Hunting Forum

feeder not spinning?

Posted By: signal5

feeder not spinning? - 11/07/12 05:43 AM

Opening day I was watching my 2 feeders from my blind and noticed one never went off. I thought maybe the battery was dead. Once I went to go check it I noticed the battery was still at 100% but when I tested it the spinner did not spin but the timer showed it was going off. I am thinking maybe a burned out spinner motor? This feeder is about 4 years old.
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/07/12 06:24 AM

Sounds like your motor went Kaput!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/07/12 12:20 PM

I have found on several feeders that the timer is at fault. That was after changing out the motor. This has happened on both Wildgame and Remington.

I have also found that batteries that tested 90% good just weren't enough to spin the feeder.
Posted By: HogBranch

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/07/12 03:42 PM

Just disconnect the battery from the timer and then make a connection directly from the battery to the motor. If it spins the motor is fine, if it doesn't then the motor OR the battery are bad. Get known good battery and do the test again.
Posted By: jim1961

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/07/12 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I have found on several feeders that the timer is at fault. That was after changing out the motor. This has happened on both Wildgame and Remington.

I have also found that batteries that tested 90% good just weren't enough to spin the feeder.

This is spot on. More often than not, I had success replacing the feeder battery
Posted By: Chris/HOU

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/09/12 04:19 AM

Same thing happened to my new Wildgame Innovations feeder. Changed the battery to a good one and same thing was happening. It will move about 1/8 inch. It trickles corn out so I haven't bothered with it.
Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/09/12 05:27 AM

Sounds stupid but make sure the hex all-thread is tight against the neck of the motor. Sometimes they come loose and the motor will spin but the plate does not move.
Posted By: Chris/HOU

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/09/12 04:54 PM

Yep, checked that. I got it to move almost a full turn but it went back to the 1/8 inch. I'll bring it home when the corn is gone and do a better diagnosis.
Posted By: toolman

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/09/12 06:58 PM

Does the motor spin freely? I use a needle oiler and put a drop of synthetic motor oil on the shaft of all of my feeders at least once a year. Corn dust and moisture are a good combination for freezing up a feeder motor.
Posted By: bholt

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/10/12 12:51 AM

You have some excellent advice here from the members:
wire the motor direct tp the battery, since you have two feeders swap out components to determine the culprit(I doubt it is your motor)this way you can eliminate everything else. Like David if you are using one of those timers I have seen many issues with them. Many swear by them but many also swear because of them and for a few dollars more you can get an HCR or The Timer both excellent. If it was mine and I did not live on site I would get a new battery & timer before I went back, worst case you have a spare.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/10/12 12:59 AM

Timer.
Posted By: VarmintLights.com

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/10/12 02:44 AM

I have an idea buy all your parts or feeders from the link below... I have been using them for years with no problems and even built custom 13 feeders for a customer and not one problem.

I got one of their new dog feeders for my two doberman pinschers and couldn't be happier with their products.

http://hcrelectronics.com/
Posted By: bholt

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/10/12 11:25 AM

That is why I suggest HCR to folks buying one of my winch feeders. Texas business and still care about their customers.
Posted By: erniejs

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/10/12 02:39 PM

If its HCR check the fuse by the batteries
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/15/12 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: signal5
Opening day I was watching my 2 feeders from my blind and noticed one never went off. I thought maybe the battery was dead. Once I went to go check it I noticed the battery was still at 100% but when I tested it the spinner did not spin but the timer showed it was going off. I am thinking maybe a burned out spinner motor? This feeder is about 4 years old.

What brand feeder timer are you using?
If it is a Remington or Wild Game timer I'm almost certain it will one or both of the spade clips that connect to the motor.
Posted By: ALL SEASONS FEEDERS

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/21/12 02:23 AM

Call me I will take care of you and get you a timer with 5 yr warranty! Zach 210-648-0979
Posted By: 300j

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/23/12 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Timer.

This. Same thing happened to 2 of my feeders this yr..
Posted By: n-all

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/23/12 04:36 PM

Moultrie's we've yet to have any issue's
Posted By: Emil

Re: feeder not spinning? - 11/28/12 01:39 PM

had 1 this year, it was a 15 year old magnum, put in a new timer, problem fixed, sent the old one in for repair
Posted By: OJVZ

Re: feeder not spinning? - 12/10/12 04:12 PM

On control units that have an in-line fuse, I have had instances when the end of the plastic fuse holder has come loose from heat and age.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum