Texas Hunting Forum

Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons?

Posted By: Texsun

Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/14/11 04:01 PM

I would think grease might work better than oil.

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/14/11 04:16 PM

Ive got to try something. The coons keep climbing the legs of my feeder and pulling on the wires to my solar chargers. About rripped the screws out holding one on and everytime I go down there, my solar panels are pointing down from those stupid thing pulling on them. Theyre gonna end up pulling the wires out off the solar panels. Will keep an eye on this thread for ides.

Posted By: treeman

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/14/11 04:21 PM

someone on here mentioned carpet tack strips attached to the legs. I bought some yesterday and will put them up tonight.

Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/14/11 05:10 PM

got to the feeder this past weekend and found the cover plate on the ground, solar wire chewed in half, battery on the ground and the control panel under a cedar tree.

the little Bast__ds will soon be dieing of a lethal dose of lead starting Friday night.........

I would think the grease might work for a few days possibly a week but it would required at least weekly up keep to be effective

Posted By: pafree

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/14/11 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Texsun
I would think grease might work better than oil.

i use vasoline on the legs which seems to slow them down and it has lasted for a while.

Posted By: my2071111

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/14/11 05:40 PM

[/quote]
Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
Ive got to try something. The coons keep climbing the legs of my feeder and pulling on the wires to my solar chargers. About rripped the screws out holding one on and everytime I go down there, my solar panels are pointing down from those stupid thing pulling on them. Theyre gonna end up pulling the wires out off the solar panels. Will keep an eye on this thread for ides.

I found running solar panel wires thru "gas stove flex line" solved that problem. Tap and add fittings on solar panel bracket and timer box for a water tight seal. Bend and tie flex line so they can't swing from it.
Also the newer solar panels can be mounted directly to the timer box. They don't need to be at 45% to the sun.

Posted By: billybob

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/14/11 05:59 PM

You might try some of that Buck Crack grease deters both the coons and the bucks rofl

Posted By: Duck25

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/14/11 06:05 PM

The other two guys that I lease with put grease/vasoline in the feeder legs of their feeders. I have stuck my hand in that stuff twice in 2wks...I keep forgetting its on there!!

Seems to work tho!

Posted By: rjd

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/14/11 08:46 PM

Here is something I got from a guy in Florida. Sounds like it might be worth a try.

Gold Marlin Fly Bait. Its a blue crystal. Take just a tea spoon or 2, put in a bowl. Then add a few oz of cocacola. Make sure you dont have any dogs or cats around that you want living. Deer & hogs wont touch it. But them coons cant get enough, They usualy dont make it 15ft from the bowl. It will eliminat every coon in the area, 100% satisfaction. Its how I keep the ranch I work for clear of them.

Posted By: bholt

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/14/11 09:12 PM

While I do not know what style feeder you have, I will assume it is a tripod style I can help with the wires going from the solor panel to your timer. When I install feeders and solar panels for my customersI connect them directly to the timer box and run the wires directly inside without using a mounting bracket. This way coons and squirrels cant get to the wires,problem solved.
Now of course I build and sell winch feeders and my barrel legs are straight, so I have less problems of this nature. I hope this helps, or at least gives you something to consider.
By the way I know everyone is going to tell you to point you solar panel south, and there is nothing wrong with that solar panels today are so good that rarly does it make any difference.

Posted By: Turk103

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/16/11 01:16 AM

Personally, this has worked better for me than any other recommendation. I have tried PVC, tack strips, PVC with tack strips...You name it, I tried it.

I always use game cams, so they tell the story. I started using cheap axle grease from Wal-Mart and had a huge reduction in coons. I can't say total reduction, but in the course of a year I only see coons on my feeder a couple of times where it used to be every day.

They will obviously still eat corn off the ground, but keeps them off the feeder. Plus, you only have to apply the grease once a year..at least that's all I do.

Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/16/11 01:47 PM

Iv'e never tried the grease or Vaseline an haven't heard that PVC works completely but this works fine for me. I don't have time to go out and grease my legs.....and I hunt just a couple hundred yards from my house. The cage has a perch-trap door on the front so I can maintain my feeder without taking anything apart.

Posted By: west-tex

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/17/11 01:08 AM

before

after

Posted By: majekman

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/17/11 02:09 AM

Heavy bearing grease and crushed red pepper on your feeder legs 4ft down from your feeder. Deer pay no attention to it. No varmit cage needed then either. Sling corn farther,also. Try this guys, it works!! Eliminate your coon problems!!! Been doing it for MANY years both in the hill country and south Texas

Posted By: TXHogSlayer72

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/20/11 09:09 PM

Tried it for the first time last year. I just used regular lithium grease that I already had. Worked great! I didn't have a single picture of raccoons on my feeder last year. I don't know if its the texture or the taste but sure worked for me.

Posted By: boonee

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/20/11 09:51 PM

x2 on the petro jelly!

Posted By: Texsun

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/21/11 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Novemberyet
Iv'e never tried the grease or Vaseline an haven't heard that PVC works completely but this works fine for me. I don't have time to go out and grease my legs.....and I hunt just a couple hundred yards from my house. The cage has a perch-trap door on the front so I can maintain my feeder without taking anything apart.

Is that a bird cage? I'm not faniliar with a perch-trap.

Posted By: JJSeabrook

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 09/21/11 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Novemberyet

That LOOKS like refrigerator shelves with a small gauge square wire inside it. I actually LIKE this little patent, and the way it hooks to the feeder. Looks to me like this would work! Nice job, Bro!

JJ

Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/10/11 08:05 PM

One carpet tack on top and bottom side of each leg seemed to do the trick for me. But this year will buy metal carpet tack as the wooden ones rotted. Coons hated them though. Has blood on several of them last year.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/10/11 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: GYPSYHAWKEYE
One carpet tack on top and bottom side of each leg seemed to do the trick for me. But this year will buy metal carpet tack as the wooden ones rotted. Coons hated them though. Has blood on several of them last year.

Just be careful. Had a buddy slip on his ladder and grab the feeder leg for support...wasn't pretty

Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/11/11 03:40 PM

There is a product called sharks teeth that is similar to the carpet tack strip but made for deterring coons. I've seen the picswith blood and hair on them. You can find them on line. They have a lot more sharp edges than the carpet tack strips.

Posted By: TX35

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/11/11 03:49 PM

I did the bearing grease & cayenne pepper trick someone on here mentioned. So far so good! I haven't seen any more acrobatic coons hanging onto my feeder motor....

Posted By: Knightdiscshooter

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/12/11 08:06 AM

The sharks teeth I've seen at bass pro in Grapevine.

Posted By: FFF21

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/12/11 03:31 PM

I used bearing grease on my feeder legs about two weeks ago, so far so good. Haven't had any coons make it up the legs.

Posted By: Jim A.

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/14/11 04:00 AM

One of the guys on my lease used the carpet tack. They used it to help climb. I bought an American Hunter timer with a varmit guard on it. I forgot about it and it knocked the crap out of me last weekend. I also have a cage around the timer.

Posted By: JTC

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/14/11 04:15 AM

Go to a sheet metal shop and have them make 36" sheet metal funnels with a 4" neck. Slide the funnel over the feeder legs and attach with radiator clamps to the desired heighth. I have tried every one of the above suggestions over the past 45 years, and the funnels work EVERY TIME and worry free. Abel Sheet Metal Shop in Denton, TX. will make them for about $25 each. Maybe a bit expensive, BUT with the price of corn and gasoline these days....everything is relative. The funnels also serve as a 'dinner bell' when the corn bounces off of them.....it works.

Posted By: JTC

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/14/11 04:16 AM

The funnel hole size should match the size of your feeder legs.

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/14/11 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: rjd
Here is something I got from a guy in Florida. Sounds like it might be worth a try.

Gold Marlin Fly Bait. Its a blue crystal. Take just a tea spoon or 2, put in a bowl. Then add a few oz of cocacola. Make sure you dont have any dogs or cats around that you want living. Deer & hogs wont touch it. But them coons cant get enough, They usualy dont make it 15ft from the bowl. It will eliminat every coon in the area, 100% satisfaction. Its how I keep the ranch I work for clear of them.

Great recommeding pesticide labeled for controlling flies only - an individual on another forum just got hammered by Texas Dept. of Agriculture, US Fish & Wildlife Service and local Game Wardens for poisoning raccoons and killing vultures (second hand poisoning) in addition to manufactor label violations.

Nice to know you use it too!

Posted By: ellgrubb

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/17/11 12:25 PM

There is a product called tender foot or feet that most ace hardwares have. Its a sticky substance and they hate sticky on there paws. They were climbing my legs hanging on varmint cage and reaching in and spinning the plate. had to fill 4 feeders three times in six weeks. Since I put the tender foot on no more empty feeders (knock on wood). It stays on the legs very well also.

Posted By: Texmel

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/18/11 06:36 PM

Had same problem and fixed with flex tubing. Get some flex tubing and run your solar charger wire thru it and seal the ends to prevent water from getting in. Using tacks and grease/oil is not a good solution.

Posted By: Sugars Pop

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/20/11 10:12 PM

Spin Tech in San Antonio makes a spin plate that will eliminate birds, wind or coons from getting the corn. They say you do not even need guards with these units. Just bought 8 and will install them whne i go back to the lease. Problem we have is they hang on the coon guard and shake the feeder adn the corn falls to the ground. Have seen it several times on the cameras. We did apply bearing grease to the legs last time as well.

Posted By: FreerOrBust

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 10/20/11 10:25 PM

i wanna see a video of a coon trying to climb a greased pole lol

Posted By: kellarm

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 08/20/12 03:21 PM

Tried the bearing grease on my feeder over the weekend. This is a new feeder/location. I have the Moultrie ez-fill feeder thats only 5'4" high. Only greased about 2 feet from the top down. Legs roughly 4ft long. Since this feeder is so short think the smell of the grease will deter deer? Feed hits the greased part of leg---deer eat feed with grease on it? Deer rub against legs/get grease on them--does it matter? Brand new hunting spot set up on nice trails. Deer havent hit my feeder yet--but have been in the area more than I should

Posted By: dmongo

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 08/20/12 04:14 PM

it seems like the more you try to stop them , they get PO'ed and tear stuff up.

just saying. lol

Posted By: RStatser

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 08/21/12 12:08 AM

First I tried the Sharks Teeth but found that if the coons get hungry enogh they will climb over them bloody paws and all. Next I tried lithium grease and that was not 100% but it was effective. I reapplied it every month and yes I put my hands in the stuff several times. To answer your question, I do not believe the smell bothered the deer based on pics and my own observations. Also I don't know for certain that the deer eat the corn with grease on it but something does so I say why worry. Having said all that I like the funnel idea mentioned above and may try that and see how it works for my situation.

Posted By: Rodeo

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 08/21/12 12:24 AM

I will kill them for you!!! grin

Posted By: toolman

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 08/21/12 01:32 AM

That's why I started mounting my legs closer to the top of the barrel and angling them out farther. They can climb the legs but can't get to the feed unit. I've got another feeder with t-post legs that the coons love. I put 4" greased PVC over the legs and it still didn't help much so I'm fixing to rework the whole thing.

Posted By: 482camaro

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 08/21/12 02:28 AM

I'd use astroglide, it should work! You can put a watermelon in a coffee pot with that stuff.

Posted By: don k

Re: Does anyone grease their deer feeder legs to deter coons? - 08/22/12 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: 482camaro
I'd use astroglide, it should work! You can put a watermelon in a coffee pot with that stuff.
And you know this how?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum