Texas Hunting Forum

30' tall tower blind

Posted By: Grinder

30' tall tower blind - 08/28/11 04:45 PM

I have two old 30' tall drill pipe tower blinds that were left on my place years ago. They need to be lowered and repaired before they would be safe to use. Anyone have any tricks on how to pull them over without having them crash down? popcorn

Posted By: Boomer57

Re: 30' tall tower blind - 08/28/11 06:34 PM

I would think the same way you lay over any other tower or blind. Tie onto a truck with about 60-75 feet of chain or strap, use a another truck or atv to start it over, use 1st truck to gently lay tower down.

Posted By: HLo

Re: 30' tall tower blind - 08/28/11 06:39 PM

You will need (2) trucks and (2) really good chains pull with one truck until the slack tightens on the 2nd truck. Then reverse 2nd truck to allow a little slack. Then take first one and pull a little, and repeat over and over. Also wouldn't hurt to figure out a way to drive some pipes, stakes, etc. down by the legs so they don't slide out from under the blind. This is what we have done...on 15' & 20' blinds so I would guess 30'..wow...would work the same but would need much longer chains. And of course keep everyone and everything out from under the blind in case something goes wrong and use long enough chain so your trucks are not below it either....good luck.

Posted By: HLo

Re: 30' tall tower blind - 08/28/11 06:41 PM

Also, be sure and tie on to a few different points or one solid point that has good welds....we have had old welds break.

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: 30' tall tower blind - 08/29/11 02:13 AM

Aim for a mesquite tree and push it over. Probably not the best method but has worked for me...lol

Posted By: Bonner

Re: 30' tall tower blind - 08/29/11 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: HLo
You will need (2) trucks and (2) really good chains pull with one truck until the slack tightens on the 2nd truck. Then reverse 2nd truck to allow a little slack. Then take first one and pull a little, and repeat over and over. Also wouldn't hurt to figure out a way to drive some pipes, stakes, etc. down by the legs so they don't slide out from under the blind. This is what we have done...on 15' & 20' blinds so I would guess 30'..wow...would work the same but would need much longer chains. And of course keep everyone and everything out from under the blind in case something goes wrong and use long enough chain so your trucks are not below it either....good luck.

definitely secure two legs so it doesnt start to slide out from under once at that point of no return. Never thought I would hear myself say this but - wow, 30'. Even that is out of my threshold for danger. Once down I would cut them down to 20' . That is jusUnless they are going to be there permanently, its just too big of a hassle to deal with moving, securing, etc. Just my two cents comeing from a guy who loves tall stands.

Posted By: MELackey

Re: 30' tall tower blind - 08/29/11 05:18 PM

30 feet? Wow. I've been in a 20 before and thought it was sort of extreme. I'll bet you could see the entire ranch from that thing.

Posted By: jim1961

Re: 30' tall tower blind - 08/29/11 08:15 PM

Wow! Good luck, that is going to be a chore. Be careful

Posted By: redchevy

Re: 30' tall tower blind - 08/29/11 08:25 PM

We build our blinds so they can be put together from ontop of the stand. You run a rope through the window and pull it up set it in place secure it and move to the next wall. It works pretty good but takes some planning. Moving it up 15 feet would just take a little more rope and would increase the... pucker factore by a little scared

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum