Texas Hunting Forum

At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind

Posted By: radtexas

At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/01/11 07:24 PM

First off I know I have way to much time on my hands. laugh

Was reading and came across several people that prefer a larger blind (such as a 6x6, 4x8, 5,7 etc.) so started brainstorming. 32" wide sides on an octagonal pattern gives just over 6'-5" outside to outside walls. This should eliminate any possible blind or dead corners. The walls I figured a way to still use only (5) sheets which is what I used on the 4x6 layout. Flooring is a little trickier as it will be pieced. Framing members might require a few more pieces but those are normally cheaper parts. I rip a 2x4 with a 22.5 degree cut to get the vertical corner pieces.

No floor or roof bracing added at this time.

This would be a little more tedious to build but once done might be a nice blind.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/01/11 08:10 PM

Looks great, but you have 3 sides with no windows. Those are huge blindspots. I try not to plan building a stand for a particular spot. You could want to move that blind to a different spot, and need windows on all sides.

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/01/11 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin T
Looks great, but you have 3 sides with no windows. Those are huge blindspots. I try not to plan building a stand for a particular spot. You could want to move that blind to a different spot, and need windows on all sides.

Yep on the 4x6 several commented negative about windows on the back side so I left out on this particular layout. Of course they are very easy to add back in. Could always frame them in and leave as wood windows in case you wanted to convert to glass later. I would frame the door different if a window was wanted in the door. Similar to the 4x6 design would work well.

And this design I left off the landing and roof overhang. Roof overhang would be a pain with and octagon roof cuts. Landing could still be done similar to the 4x6 design.

Posted By: dutton1

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/02/11 08:33 PM

Great Plan. I like the idea of the octagon. What type of roof would you use for the top?
Would there be a landing on this one as well or no?

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/02/11 08:38 PM

Made plans for this blind if anyone is interested. They are as detailed as the ones I made for the 4x6 blind. Send me a PM with your email and "Octagonal Blind" in subject so I send the right set.

Raw materials with taxes for the blind alone (no legs) came to $390 using Lowe's online. I also have $70 included for Lexan/Glass windows. About $100 more for the 6 foot elevated base as shown.

First two pages shown.

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/02/11 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: dutton1
Great Plan. I like the idea of the octagon. What type of roof would you use for the top?
Would there be a landing on this one as well or no?

Landing could be added but would be a little harder and probably would be smaller than on the 4x6 plan. I have 2 pieces of 12' barn tin shown. (2) pieces @ 7' long and the others pieced from the 5' left overs.

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/08/11 05:59 PM

Well working on a (6) sided blind now. Will post plans when I have them done. They are very similar to the Octagonal except the number of sides. Comes to 6'-0 3/4" short side to 7'-0" to the long side.

Posted By: dirty bird

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/08/11 09:07 PM

GOOD DEAL!!
Very helpful and informative.

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/08/11 09:17 PM

If interested send me a PM with your email and "Octagonal Blind" or Hexagonal Blind" or "4x6 blind with porch" in subject so I send the right set. Or just say "send all blinds". smile

Posted By: coonie

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/08/11 10:50 PM

request sent. what do you mean on the hexagonal a "short side long side"?

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/08/11 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: coonie
request sent. what do you mean on the hexagonal a "short side long side"?

Short side & long side may be easier to explain if you look at the plan view of the hexagon blind above. A (6) sided figure has a narrow side where (2) sides run parallel.

Posted By: lmmj

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/10/11 03:02 PM

PM sent.

Posted By: scattergun

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/11/11 03:35 PM

Not a new idea. Several already on the market.

Posted By: Roughneck Country

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/11/11 08:13 PM

I would like to build something like this for a perminent deer stand sometime, might need to modify it a bit but cabin on the bottom shooting up to and wood stove top and bottom.

Posted By: tekset

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/23/13 06:37 PM

Hello,

I tried to PM you, but forum says you are at your private message limit?

I am interested in building either a "Octagonal Blind" or "Hexagonal Blind", most likely the Hexagonal. I intend to put my blind on top of a stand constructed with Elevators and 4x4 pressure treated posts. Would you mind sharing your plans for these two designs?

My email is tekset [at] yahoo.com (not use the @ symbol) or maybe you can PM them to me via the forum?

Really cool designs, thank you in advanced!
Posted By: easttexasbucks

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/24/13 01:32 PM

Like those Octagon Blinds
Posted By: passthru

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/27/13 12:12 AM

Nice.
Posted By: corps2010

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/27/13 01:58 AM

Try turning the windows vertical instead of horizontal. This would be an ideal elevated bow blind for us bowhunters.
Posted By: 3rdShot

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 03/28/13 03:38 AM

Very nice...I've just built rectangle blinds so far, next one will prob be octagonal.
Posted By: hunt4lf

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 06/16/13 06:23 PM

Could you send me the plans to your blinds? I am trying to decide between the hexagon (not sure about the octagon), and 4x6.

Any list of materials and etc. would be appreciated.

Thank you,
rugby987@gmail.com
Posted By: thurmansfiberglass

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 06/16/13 07:22 PM

We have a 1/2 hex that measures 4x6 with a 2 foot kick out and it is very popular. It gives alot more room than the 4x6. All of our blinds are 100% fiberglass.
Posted By: jdw

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 06/16/13 10:25 PM

What is the point in over thinking something so simple as a deer stand? If you need more room build a bigger box confused2
Posted By: 7ultramag

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 06/22/13 06:35 AM

nice blind
Posted By: Mfloski

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 06/22/13 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Roughneck Country
I would like to build something like this for a perminent deer stand sometime, might need to modify it a bit but cabin on the bottom shooting up to and wood stove top and bottom.

That's a great idea ! Lol
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 06/26/13 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: jdw
What is the point in over thinking something so simple as a deer stand? If you need more room build a bigger box confused2

Some folks enjoy doing things their own way, and making something unique. There's nothing wrong with a box, it's easier to build, but for some of us there's a satisfaction in doing it the way we want instead of the status quo.

It takes all kinds.
Posted By: chesterpm145

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 08/01/13 05:49 AM

Would you mind sending me the plans for the Hexagon Blind? This thread was exactly what I was looking for!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 08/01/13 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Roughneck Country

I have better, our cabin sits on the edge of a wheat field, since I am disables, I use the bedroom as my blind.
Posted By: MMTX

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 08/05/13 01:11 AM

Built one just lime the OP. Great configuration and pretty easy to do with a table saw and once you figure out the angles
Posted By: Texican5

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 08/23/13 06:50 PM

RadTexas, Do you still have the plans to the "4x6 Deer blind with roof extension and otional porch & Legs"? I printed it out from and old threat, but as you stated, it doesn't print out legibly. If so, let me know so that I can get them from you. Great plans.
Posted By: 10244

Re: At it again. 6'5" octgonal blind - 01/04/16 03:21 PM

hey RadTexas, if you still have them.. could you send me the plans to the 6 sided elevated deer blind that you had posted on here a while back.. came across them and think this blind would work great for my hunting area.. hope to hear back from you.. thanks..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum