Texas Hunting Forum

Protein type feeds out of a spin cast feeder

Posted By: TX35

Protein type feeds out of a spin cast feeder - 01/13/11 12:11 AM

I am looking at adding some sort of protein to my feeder. I need to know which ones will not clog up a spin cast. I'm contemplating a soybean/corn mix, which I'm quite sure will pass through. What about protein pellets? Antler Max??? L&E feeds? Any others ya'll have experience with would be appreciated..

Thanks!!

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Protein type feeds out of a spin cast feeder - 01/13/11 03:45 PM

Spin feeder + protein pellets = headaches and waste of time & money.

Soybean corn mix works well in spin feeders, you'll have to sling a bunch of it for any real nutritional benefit.
The deer on my place don't seem to enjoy the soybeans.
The non target species are thrilled by my efforts, they throw parties around my feeders to show their appreciation for providing them a first class night club.

For me ts been a 3 year struggle to find a protein feed the stupid deer on my place will eat.
I haven't found what they'll eat yet, Ive been through 3 brands of pellets so far.

I'm almost glad someone stole my old dilapidated free choice protein feeder. Saves the money and aggravation of dealing with picky eaters and wild parties.

Posted By: jdickey

Re: Protein type feeds out of a spin cast feeder - 01/13/11 03:49 PM

Check it out....

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1975179/1/Question_for_Spin_feeders

Posted By: Woj

Re: Protein type feeds out of a spin cast feeder - 01/18/11 05:21 PM

if your having problems getting the deer 'hooked' on protein, you have a couple options. 1. before you put the protein into the feeder, spray a light coating of cotton seed oil on the pellets...deer love cotton seed oil. 2. as your putting the protein into the feeded, mix in your favorite deer attractant flavoring (c'meer deer, or other similar types of dry attractant). both of these techniques will entice the deer to eat the protein, and become familiar with the taste. once they become familiar, they will become a regular and invite others.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum