Texas Hunting Forum

critter camera

Posted By: garyrapp55

critter camera - 01/19/24 03:13 PM

I haven't bought a cam in years. I want 2 for 2 legged critters poaching on my place. Johnny law says without a picture or more evidence there's little he can do. Recommendations?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: critter camera - 01/19/24 03:23 PM

'Hate to hear about poaching problems. I would go outa my mind.

I use Reveal Tactacam, but there's one or two more expensive brands that I'd probably overspend on in a fit of rage.
Posted By: NGHTTRN

Re: critter camera - 01/20/24 01:09 AM

https://reolink.com/us/product/keen...3bxaMkKRihpC1Crlh9u4FuDxAsIaAnryEALw_wcB

I use these for people monitoring.

They can record, they'll send you notifications and you can get sound too.
You can follow the subject using the PTZ in the app.

Tactacams are great for animals, but the reolinks are next level.

You could add a regular game cam with a high resolution (30mp) to get a good picture of their faces.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: critter camera - 01/20/24 06:33 AM

Order a discount bundle of Browning cams that just take SD cards is the most economical way. The cellular systems are great but if you put it in a high traffic spot you will get tired of your phone going off all the time. If you send the cell pics to a spam folder to look at later you’re right back to just using SD’s that’s my experience with cams.
Posted By: cleatas

Re: critter camera - 01/24/24 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Order a discount bundle of Browning cams that just take SD cards is the most economical way. The cellular systems are great but if you put it in a high traffic spot you will get tired of your phone going off all the time. If you send the cell pics to a spam folder to look at later you’re right back to just using SD’s that’s my experience with cams.

true if its readily accessible. Having to drive 4 hours it helps to have cellular
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: critter camera - 02/13/24 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
I haven't bought a cam in years. I want 2 for 2 legged critters poaching on my place. Johnny law says without a picture or more evidence there's little he can do. Recommendations?

Let us know how it works out please. I always like to her about poachers getting caught.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: critter camera - 02/14/24 02:00 PM

Agree with NTXTrapper.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: critter camera - 02/15/24 03:50 AM

I caught one that stole some trail cameras with use of a couple trail cams, one in same location a camera was stolen from but had another one u a cedar tree close by with a view of the camera and got their picture stealing the second cheap camera.

Reveal Tactacam is what we are using a good bit now and like them.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: critter camera - 02/27/24 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

However, if the person you’re trying to catch steals your camera, you’ll already have a picture of them with a cellular setup.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: critter camera - 02/27/24 03:34 AM

Two guys on my lease are using cellular cameras and had constant problems with them last season. I have no idea what brands they are using, but enough problems that I am out on the idea until they figure it out. I bulk purchase cheap small cameras that come out to $15 to $20 each ebay, clearance, or bulk sales. Mine use simple AAs and SD cards. I have several and will have two or three working ones in the area around every feeder, also use them on trails, on roads into my stands, field edges etc. And some in places where they are not obvious. If someone steals a camera I will likely get a picture of the person who stole it on another camera or they will have stolen a decoy. If a camera stops working for whatever reason, I place it on a random location easily seen in the vicinity of my stand/feeder as a decoy and zip tie it closed. After 20 years on one lease I have broken or obsolete decoy cameras all over the place around my stands and feeders, thus the zip ties to remind me which are decoys. Only bad this year was when I found cows were put on the property and I had over 5000 cow pictures to scroll through.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum