Texas Hunting Forum

Recommend a good headlamp

Posted By: hollidayHunter

Recommend a good headlamp - 09/18/21 08:52 PM

I'm headed to Wyoming in about 3 weeks to hunt mule deer. There are so many different kinds of headlamps out there it gets kind of confusing. I would like one that's rechargeable and of course has a good strong beam. Whats been yall's experience with headlamps and what do you recommend? Thanks
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/18/21 09:31 PM

Just upgraded myself. Fenix, about $100.00. USB charge, well built, solid lamp.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/19/21 12:55 AM

So far, I like the Black Diamond Storm series of headlamps. Mine is the 375, but I think the 400 is the latest in this line. Good bang for the buck.

https://smile.amazon.com/Black-Diam...2012779&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-16
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/19/21 02:51 PM

Black Diamond spot 350
Posted By: Huskerron

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/22/21 03:50 PM

Used to buy the cheap Rayovacs at Walmart. They were usually broken by the end of the season. I see Rayovac now makes one called the indestructible. Must’ve been because of so many complaints. I too bought a Black Diamond and have never looked back. Had it for about 5 years now. If you’ve ever field dressed a deer in the dark or holding a bloody flashlight in your mouth, you’ll appreciate a quality headlamp.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/22/21 09:25 PM

Ledlenser 14.2 is what I use. It is the best I’ve tried. Checks all the boxes. Only down side is it will set you back one Benjamin.
https://www.ledlenserusa.com/produc...X3MGT8wIVzZyzCh1YrgLgEAQYAiABEgLjcPD_BwE
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/22/21 09:56 PM

I'm on my 3rd PETZL, been happy with all of them. One is my primary, one is the backup/yardwork light, the other fell out of my pocket and I found it with a truck tire.

This particular model:

https://www.rei.com/product/162477/petzl-tactikka-headlamp?CAWELAID=120217890007141220

These are NOT rechargeable, though, so they may not meet your criteria, OP.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/23/21 05:15 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079CBJ6QZ?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I've got two of these...I've not found anything I like better.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/23/21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by hollidayHunter
I'm headed to Wyoming in about 3 weeks to hunt mule deer. There are so many different kinds of headlamps out there it gets kind of confusing. I would like one that's rechargeable and of course has a good strong beam. Whats been yall's experience with headlamps and what do you recommend? Thanks

I have zebra, pretzel, black diamond, coast, and fenix

My favorite is zebra but it's 18650 battery so it's an expensive start up.

My pretzel is the lightest and I use it as a back up in my pack.

Best for the money has been Coast.

Hope this helps. To me Lithium battery(AA or AAA) are easier then rechargeable.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/23/21 06:04 PM

Normally I don't associate Harbor Freight and quality. In this case however, I've been pretty pleased with a relatively cheap headlamp I got a few years ago.

Here's their selection page: https://harborfreight.com/search?q=headlamp

The one I've been using is the cheap one for ten bucks. It's not rechargeable. It uses three AAA batteries. In the field it may be easier to just carry extra batteries rather than try to recharge it when it gets too dim. Of course, if you're consistent about recharging that's perhaps not a real problem.

I actually have two. I got one for my hunting buddy to use. They've both worked fine since I got them 3-4 years ago and given no trouble. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 500 lumen model though, just to get more brightness. It is rechargeable.

As I mentioned I usually hesitate to describe items from Harbor Freight as quality but the headlamps I have are working well for me.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/23/21 06:08 PM

Black Diamond fan here as well. I have one rechargeable and one that takes AAAs.

Both have been great lights. Bright and durable.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/25/21 05:12 PM

Performance Tool LED Hat Brim Light

very bright, high and low settings runs up to 4hrs on low setting. clips on to the brim of your hat and you can adjust the aim point.
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/25/21 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Ledlenser 14.2 is what I use. It is the best I’ve tried. Checks all the boxes. Only down side is it will set you back one Benjamin.
https://www.ledlenserusa.com/produc...X3MGT8wIVzZyzCh1YrgLgEAQYAiABEgLjcPD_BwE

Definitely another vote for Ledlenser. I've had the H8R for 5 years without a single complaint.
Posted By: hollidayHunter

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/27/21 04:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll check all of them out and go from there.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/27/21 06:29 PM

I carry two headlamps. The one I use nightly is the Petzl Actik Core https://www.rei.com/product/163701/petzl-actik-core-headlamp?color=RED It’s a rechargeable that puts out plenty of light for both field care and getting to and from destinations. At 2.8 ounces you don’t even know it’s on. The other I carry in my hip pouch as a back up is the black Diamond Storm (it’s an older model so maybe a 350 not sure). Both have been excellent. I also have a Surefire Maximus that is way more lamp that one would ever need.

If I were to upgrade it would be a Zebra 1st and the a Felix 2nd. One thing to be cognizant of if the weight of these. If you are just stand hunting walking to and from the truck a short distance then it’s a mute point. But if you are actually hunting/hiking some distance (several miles) back to camp I.e. Western hunt (elk, mule deer, sheep etc) the amount of weight begins to take a toll on your neck muscles. That’s why I run lighter weight lamps. Typically the more likens it puts out the greater battery it requires and the more it weights.

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/27/21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Theringworm
I carry two headlamps. The one I use nightly is the Petzl Actik Core https://www.rei.com/product/163701/petzl-actik-core-headlamp?color=RED It’s a rechargeable that puts out plenty of light for both field care and getting to and from destinations. At 2.8 ounces you don’t even know it’s on. The other I carry in my hip pouch as a back up is the black Diamond Storm (it’s an older model so maybe a 350 not sure). Both have been excellent. I also have a Surefire Maximus that is way more lamp that one would ever need.

If I were to upgrade it would be a Zebra 1st and the a Felix 2nd. One thing to be cognizant of if the weight of these. If you are just stand hunting walking to and from the truck a short distance then it’s a mute point. But if you are actually hunting/hiking some distance (several miles) back to camp I.e. Western hunt (elk, mule deer, sheep etc) the amount of weight begins to take a toll on your neck muscles. That’s why I run lighter weight lamps. Typically the more likens it puts out the greater battery it requires and the more it weights.

For days 10 days use(evening and nights) I can take an extra 18640 and probably not need it with the zebra. With that said when you do want to light up the sky, that little zebra is crazy bright
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/27/21 09:28 PM

Yea…..I have come close many times at buying a Zebra. Maybe once these two peter out I’ll upgrade.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 09/29/21 09:56 AM

I’ve used a Petzl for more than a decade.
Posted By: COFF (TFF)

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 10/28/21 08:26 PM

Two things have always bothered me with head lamps: the elastic band and the weight. I like this one from amazon. It clips on your hat, does not block your vision at all, and is so light it you can wear it all day and never know its there.

amazon cyclops micro

This is NOT a bright light. You won't be spotting game with it, or tracking a blood trail. But it is plenty to get you in and out of your stand, and you could dress a deer with it if you had to.

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 11/08/21 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Theringworm

I picked up a Fenix HM61R Rechargeable Headlamp. It will be replacing my zebra. It fixes my only complaint on the zebra and that’s charging 18650 batteries. Pretty slick

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 11/17/21 12:17 PM

Rechargeable Fenix.
Posted By: Baldpate

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 11/17/21 06:33 PM

I can second this - great light and tough.
Posted By: kman2017

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 11/18/21 02:44 AM

This: I backpack in Colorado extensively and carry two of these. Not rechargeable BUT petzl does make a rechargeable core you can buy separately.

https://www.rei.com/product/162479/petzl-tikka-headlamp

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 11/20/21 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Rechargeable Fenix.

I used it for about 7-8 days recently, it's the HM65R. It's a great headlamp. Operates easy with good sized soft touch buttons that you can manipulate easily. It's a 30 minute UTV ride each way to my stand, and since going to a half windshield it's on for the whole ride, and walk to the stand. It has yet to get below 50% charge, and that's on the highest setting during usage. It's good enough that I'm not in as big of a hurry as I once was to put a light bar on my Ranger since it throws a bright, big beam where I need it when driving.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 11/20/21 03:26 PM

FWIW, look at the Steam light line of head lamps. 423 battery (never seen a plug in the woods) two brightness's, One will blind you its so strong. I was walking next to my buddy looking for his deer in the dark. He had on his REI special (Petzel) . When I turned mine on his disappeared.
VERY good light, great adjustable , strap and will fit in a small backpack pocket.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 11/20/21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
FWIW, look at the Steam light line of head lamps. 423 battery (never seen a plug in the woods) two brightness's, One will blind you its so strong. I was walking next to my buddy looking for his deer in the dark. He had on his REI special (Petzel) . When I turned mine on his disappeared.
VERY good light, great adjustable , strap and will fit in a small backpack pocket.

Which model? Website shows 20+ models.

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 11/21/21 08:59 PM

Plenty of plugs in the woods if you are use to being off grid. Non rechargeable speciality batteries are a train wreck in the woods or middle of no where. Go recharge or AA/AAA. My biggest issue with recharging 18650 was the chargers. Felix built in charger is game changer.

Gone down this hole before with stream light and batteries. Great lights up until you no longer have batteries in your center console or pack

Posted By: TLew

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 11/30/21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Plenty of plugs in the woods if you are use to being off grid. Non rechargeable speciality batteries are a train wreck in the woods or middle of no where. Go recharge or AA/AAA. My biggest issue with recharging 18650 was the chargers. Felix built in charger is game changer.

Gone down this hole before with stream light and batteries. Great lights up until you no longer have batteries in your center console or pack

Need a spare 18650 charger? I have plenty and would be happy to paint one orange for ya
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 12/01/21 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by der Teufel
Normally I don't associate Harbor Freight and quality. In this case however, I've been pretty pleased with a relatively cheap headlamp I got a few years ago.

Here's their selection page: https://harborfreight.com/search?q=headlamp

The one I've been using is the cheap one for ten bucks. It's not rechargeable. It uses three AAA batteries. In the field it may be easier to just carry extra batteries rather than try to recharge it when it gets too dim. Of course, if you're consistent about recharging that's perhaps not a real problem.

I actually have two. I got one for my hunting buddy to use. They've both worked fine since I got them 3-4 years ago and given no trouble. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 500 lumen model though, just to get more brightness. It is rechargeable.

As I mentioned I usually hesitate to describe items from Harbor Freight as quality but the headlamps I have are working well for me.

I have that one too and it is working fine for me. I also have a nice headlight for my bicycle that came with a head mounted conversion. It runs off of a separate lithium ion pack but man is that sucker bright when on high beam.
Posted By: TonyLama

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 12/02/21 08:42 PM

I use a rechargeable one from amazon called boruit it has a high/low and red setting. Lasts me all weekend on one charge.

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 12/03/21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by TLew

Need a spare 18650 charger? I have plenty and would be happy to paint one orange for ya

Lol, no I keep one in my desk. But they are to big to pack on a backpack hunt(not that you need too, battery lady's an eternity). New fenix has a magnetic USB. It's handy and nothing to pack

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 01/11/22 11:04 PM

O'light Baton - Pro Pocket
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 01/13/22 01:43 AM

I got a Fenix HM61R and man that thing is bright when you have it on turbo. It has the magnetic USB charger cable which is nice also. Got 20% off so price wasn't toobad. Great light.

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 01/14/22 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
I got a Fenix HM61R and man that thing is bright when you have it on turbo. It has the magnetic USB charger cable which is nice also. Got 20% off so price wasn't toobad. Great light.

I ran mine for 5 days about hour each day and had a lot left in the tank. Also in sub freezing weather. I was impressed
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 01/14/22 07:19 PM

I liked the headlamp enough that I bought a flashlight from them as well. Fenix puts out a good product. They had some pretty good specials running around Xmas time.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 01/18/22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I'm on my 3rd PETZL, been happy with all of them. One is my primary, one is the backup/yardwork light, the other fell out of my pocket and I found it with a truck tire.

This particular model:

https://www.rei.com/product/162477/petzl-tactikka-headlamp?CAWELAID=120217890007141220

These are NOT rechargeable, though, so they may not meet your criteria, OP.

Found out today that PETZL make a rechargeable battery pack, comes with a USB charger and takes the place of the AAA batteries in their hybrid models.

[Linked Image]

https://www.rei.com/product/109955/petzl-core-battery
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 01/18/22 04:50 PM

Wow!!! That’s pretty cool! Thanks for the heads up!

Re: Recommend a good headlamp - 01/18/22 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad

I ran mine for 5 days about hour each day and had a lot left in the tank. Also in sub freezing weather. I was impressed

I have a full season behind mine. Zero complaints. Holds a charge well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum