Texas Hunting Forum

Thermacell Questions

Posted By: Huskerron

Thermacell Questions - 09/06/21 01:44 AM

1. Are they safe to use in a ground blind?
2. Do deer notice them?
3. Do they work for biting gnats and other insects?

Any other comments that I might find useful.

Thanks
Posted By: kry226

Re: Thermacell Questions - 09/06/21 04:26 AM

I have used a T-Cell a lot and love it. It's one of the few gizmos to hit the market that actually works as advertised.

To try to answer your questions:
1. Yes. Now I wouldn't hold my face over the appliance and huff that stuff, but you're not going to poison yourself or asphyxiate in a ground blind.
2. Probably. But it's a naturally occurring substance and I've not noticed any deer spooking when I used it. But if a deer can smell the T-Cell, they can smell you, which is likely the bigger problem.
3. All I know is I stop getting bit and/or harassed by bugs when I use it. Even if it doesn't directly affect biting gnats or other insects, its performance on mosquitos alone makes it worth its weight in gold.

https://wildernessinstinct.com/is-thermacell-safe-to-breathe/

The EPA has approved of both allethrin and the Thermacell device itself as a safe and effective means of repelling mosquitoes with minimal effects on the environment. Unless you are someone with extreme sensitivity, or a cat, use of the Thermacell device should pose few problems. As well, if you are in an area with lots of mosquitoes, the minimal problems that may be posed by allethrin exposure due to the use of the Thermacell device are likely going to be much less pertinent an issue than exposure to the West Nile virus.
Posted By: Huskerron

Re: Thermacell Questions - 09/06/21 10:39 AM

Thanks. Looks like I’ll add it t my hunting checklist. I’ll know by the end of the day on 9/16 unless it’s cold and windy.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Thermacell Questions - 09/06/21 07:12 PM

FWIW, I'm an absolute bug magnet and the Thermocell + ground blind combination will let me hunt in comfort just about anywhere there are mosquitos. It's a better mouse trap.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Thermacell Questions - 09/06/21 07:31 PM

Just buy it and move on. Great product.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Thermacell Questions - 09/06/21 07:44 PM

Great product, I don't hunt without it.
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: Thermacell Questions - 09/07/21 02:45 AM

I hog hunt the river bottoms in East TX and if I forget my Thermocell or it doesn't work for some reason, I go home.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Thermacell Questions - 09/07/21 03:38 AM

Don't even question it. Buy one...or two. I couldn't survive hunting early season without one. The only caveat that should be mentioned...if it is windy, the thermocell won't be as effective.
Posted By: Tortoise

Re: Thermacell Questions - 09/25/21 02:04 PM

And watch for sales on the refills.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Thermacell Questions - 09/26/21 02:15 AM

One of the best inventions of the last century in my opinion. I use the heck out of mine.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Thermacell Questions - 10/13/21 09:54 PM

"Earth Scent" refills are available but I've seen no evidence they spook deer any more or less than the normal refills.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum