Texas Hunting Forum

bedside pistol safe

Posted By: jdk1985

bedside pistol safe - 11/02/20 05:28 PM

I am about to purchase two small pistol safes for our night stands. I currently plan to buy the Fort Knox version.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V6TDX4E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3UAGYSEPP3KE4&psc=1

Do any of you know of reasons I should avoid the Fort Knox version (other than price), or any reasons why I should seriously consider other alternatives?

Thanks,
JDK
Posted By: booskay

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/02/20 05:33 PM

If someone invades your house, you need to have your pistol in your hand in 3-4 seconds ---------- can you open the safe that fast ///???

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/02/20 06:08 PM

IIRC, they advertise 10 seconds or so. Naturally, 10 seconds is better than a child getting access to it accidentally. There is going to be a pro/con there regardless of the means.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/02/20 06:24 PM

Unless you have kids they need to be loaded/round in the chamber/readily accessible.

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/02/20 06:37 PM

Agreed. I have a 2yo and an almost 4 year old.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/02/20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by jdk1985
IIRC, they advertise 10 seconds or so. Naturally, 10 seconds is better than a child getting access to it accidentally. There is going to be a pro/con there regardless of the means.

10 seconds? You push the right combo and turn the knob. I find it hard to believe that it would take 10 seconds. I have a 6 digit combo, and I would not be surprised if I can get in in less than 1 second...maybe 2 seconds in the dark. That is a loaded, chambered pistol within easy access and it is still safe from the kids.

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/02/20 07:07 PM

Thanks all.

But does anyone have any advice regarding the particular safe I mentioned, either pro or con?
Posted By: WBYHunter

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/02/20 07:15 PM

I have a similar version made by V-Line. I think they are around $150-200, so may be a little cheaper than Fort Knox. I like the simplex locks. Very reliable, easy to use, never had an issue with them.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/02/20 07:51 PM

I spend 30 minutes every time the grand kids come over just picking up guns, bed, rocking chair, by the back & front door, up to a half dozen in the shop
Posted By: syncerus

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/02/20 10:42 PM

I have a Barska biometric model that I purchased a number of years ago. Much to my surprise (it's made by Barska), it actually works very well. You push a button to activate the scanner and then put your thumb on the pad. Total time, perhaps seven or eight seconds.

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/03/20 01:53 AM

thanks all
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/07/20 04:55 AM

I have owned the exact model you asked about for about 7 years. I use it daily. No complaints at all.

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/07/20 05:06 PM

Thank you! I ordered two a few days ago.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/08/20 12:33 AM

I have a MiniVault Standard and can open it in less than 4 seconds without looking at it. This is my second one, I have the first on to my daughter. Which ever one you get set a reminder on your phone and change the batteries every year. Also, practice with it till you can open it in the dark.

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/10/20 04:04 AM

Thanks. The Fort Knox ended up being too big for the drawer I planned to use it in. So I'm having to reconsider options or build new furniture.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/10/20 11:59 AM

V-Line is what I have. Depress 2 buttons at the same time and turn knob. No beeps and no light needed. Not electronic.

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/10/20 09:50 PM

Thank you, I'll take a look at it. I've found one 'off brand' that technically fits the space requirements, but I'm hesitant.
Posted By: brokenpole

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/23/20 07:44 PM

I prefer the hidden compartment in my nightstand
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/23/20 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by WBYHunter
I have a similar version made by V-Line. I think they are around $150-200, so may be a little cheaper than Fort Knox. I like the simplex locks. Very reliable, easy to use, never had an issue with them.

I have this one and it has been used every day since 2006 with no issues. Not electronic, no batteries to go dead, no biometric thingys.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Re: bedside pistol safe - 11/24/20 01:37 AM

Thanks; I wound up returning the Fort Knoxes due to size and buying a Sentry safe model that fit the space. I'll use them for awhile and see if I like it. They are electronic (biometric, and keypad), but they also has a manual key/lock.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum