Texas Hunting Forum

Gun safe - best bang for the buck

Posted By: Gatorpoint

Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/11/16 02:26 AM

Looking for a good gun safe. What's everyone's concensus? Obviously fire rating, thickness and locking bolts and other factors go into safe selection. Just looking for a good all around brand. I have insurance on my firearms but just want a nice one for piece of mind. Keep honest folks honest if that situation happens and some protection in case of a fire. Thanks
Posted By: PJW

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/11/16 06:40 AM

http://safeguysstore.com/
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/11/16 12:39 PM

Unless you want to spend as much as a typical new car. Here is number one and two after that they are all pretty close in quality.

http://m.sportsmansteelsafes.com

http://www.ftknox.com/

Sportsman will build deliver and install at a reasonable price and you can call them and talk to the owner. The Fort Knox franchisee for Dallas is also very helpful and not hard to get a hold of....

If you want a less expensive one, all the box stores should have deep discounts for Black Friday.
Posted By: Swimmer

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/12/16 01:19 PM

Look up Sturdy Safe. IMO, best you can buy for the money. Received mine a few months ago.

S
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/12/16 03:12 PM

Get one bigger than you think. It will fill up fast!
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/12/16 09:34 PM

I bought a Champion from Lone Star in Houston and have been very happy with it. I was going to spend a good bit more but went middle of the road after a lengthy discussion with the salesman due to an upgraded alarm system, dogs, and living near city services. All somewhat lesson the need for an actual "safe". If I could offer any advice, it would be to look at the thickness of the sides. Watch some youtube videos of how easy they are to get into. Most RSC's have adequate protection in the doors but the sides and top are typically thin.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/13/16 03:39 AM

Winchester Silverado is an excellent safe at a very good price.
Posted By: Gatorpoint

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/13/16 05:03 AM

Thanks for the info!! Does anyone have any good/bad info on browning safes?
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/13/16 03:14 PM

Always buy about double what you need. For instance a 10 gun safe isn't gonna fit 10 very easily. Doable maybe but not likely with anything scoped. Fire rating was a huge deciding factor for me. As well as locking. Not gonna make brand recommendations but there are several out there that to me look like the same company with a different logo on the door.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/13/16 05:14 PM

Either the big browning or Fort Knox. Our friends browning safe survived one of the hottest house fires the fireman have ever seen.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/16/16 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Swimmer
Look up Sturdy Safe. IMO, best you can buy for the money. Received mine a few months ago.

This is you want to keep out real criminals and more than "some" protection from fire.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/17/16 06:50 PM

My $0.02 ... if you can find the safe you want with a NON-ELECTRONIC lock, get it. While most of them are pretty reliable, I have heard way too many horror stories of electronic locks failing and keeping you from your guns, causing a great deal of aggravation and cost to resolve it.

In one case, right here on THF, a guy had his electronic safe fail right before hunting season - didn't get it resolved until after season was over. Boy, I could feel his pain as the saga unfolded week after week. It was that one story that made me never get an electronic lock.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/17/16 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: jhenderson
Always buy about double what you need. For instance a 10 gun safe isn't gonna fit 10 very easily. Doable maybe but not likely with anything scoped. Fire rating was a huge deciding factor for me. As well as locking. Not gonna make brand recommendations but there are several out there that to me look like the same company with a different logo on the door.

This is true - I have a 16 gun safe, and for the life of me I can't see how they could get 16 guns in there unless you have them crammed in there banging up against each other. My 16 gun safe stores about 10 comfortably.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/19/16 05:17 PM

I'm about to buy a bigger one. I have a Liberty now and it's been great. Thinking about a Browning this time because I like the ability to store long guns on the door. Seems like it would save a ton of space and make it easy to get to the guns you use often.
Posted By: Upland007

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/23/16 10:24 PM

Get the Canon 64 BLACK FRIDAY DEAL!!! THAT IS A STEAL in my opinion!!!
Posted By: LG

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/24/16 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: PWRANCH

^^^^ This! my wife just bought me one!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/24/16 05:22 AM

Originally Posted By: LG

Agreed
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 11/29/16 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: LG

Agreed

Kinda pissed I didnt attempt to get one. That was one hell of a deal
Posted By: Murphscout

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 12/03/16 09:36 PM

I got the Cannon 64 3 years ago on the same Tractor Supply black Friday deal 600 bucks and it has been outstanding
Posted By: TxDox21

Re: Gun safe - best bang for the buck - 12/18/16 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: jhenderson

Could you please explain that to my household financial officer (wife)?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum