Texas Hunting Forum

what knives are y'all using?

Posted By: freonfreak82

what knives are y'all using? - 07/10/14 03:42 AM

out in the field, and to gut a deer/hog/etc.. not wanting to spend a ton, i used to use my pocketknife, then a couple of knives i had given to me. nothing special, what are you guys using?
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/10/14 03:54 AM

I've mainly gone to a Havalon when dealing with animals....it's just too easy to change out blades instead of sharpening.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/10/14 11:06 AM

For years I used a Buck or Case folder and never had a problem. I still have a bunch of them and they're not going anywhere.

Then I decided to try something different. I bought some Russell Green River blades from Jantz Supply in Oklahoma. Next was some oak or poplar craft wood from Lowes, a Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander($45.00 + tax) and some 5/32 brass rod from the hardware store. Cut the wood to the approx size, drill holes through the wood, epoxy and pin together. Finish off wood on the sander to fit and then urethane it after the handle is right. They are spooky sharp and I tape the blade before starting. I guess actual working time is about an hour per knife. I built a couple of small kitchen knives for my Wife and they are her favorites. That's unusual at my house. I've made quite a few of them for others and they also love them. The only down side is that they are not stainless so we dry them after washing and occasionally touch them up on a steel or strop.

I "built" a Buffalo Skinner for my Grandson. It sliced through the neck skin and meat of a big hog with no problem. That surprised me. Then I had to build some more for his buddies.

I probably have about $15 or less in each knife.

In no way do I consider myself as a knife maker but these performed as well as a Havalon and some expensive custom knives when we tested them on deer and hogs. They've held up well over time but if one ever goes south, I'll just build another one.
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/10/14 02:49 PM

I still use Buck Knives. The Buck Vanguard is a good, solid, all around knife. You can't go wrong. It comes in several styles and handle configurations. There's a shorter blade, and one with a gut hook. Wood handles or nonslip rubber handles, etc. Take your pick.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/10/14 05:12 PM

Havalon for almost everything.

Cheap deboning or filet knife for most of butchering.

Bush Monkey Junkyard Dog for any real work.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/11/14 02:33 AM

Using a S. Potts knife every day and patiently waiting for my Chops knife(hurry up September) then will be ordering a BushMonkey if Chops doesn't post up something else I like.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/11/14 04:26 PM

Buck Knife for gutting, Bubba Blade for butchering.
Posted By: maximum

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/11/14 07:13 PM

forschner , old hickory , old herter's/murphy knives ,
grohmann/russell knives , puma , russell g.r.
Posted By: LG

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/11/14 07:41 PM

I swithced over to COLD STEEL master hunter and really like it
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/11/14 10:30 PM

I've used a wide variety of knives, Buck, Case, Schrade, etc. I was in a processor once and while I was waiting I eased to the back a bit to watch the guys skinning and breaking down the deer, pigs, goats, whatever. They were all using Dexter-Russell knives. I asked about them and was hooked, ordered what they said I needed the next day. These knives come stupid sharp, are stupid cheap, stupid easy to sharpen, and come in a wide variety of configurations. Now, they're not pretty. They look very utilitarian, which is what they are, but they're nice knives. I use their kitchen utility knife for skinning/fleshing, the 10" "breaker" for quartering/jointing, and the 8" filet knife for removing back strap, tenderloins, and neck meat. They're food grade and bleach safe for easy cleaning. Honestly I could do the whole job with just the filet knife, but having one knife that excels in each purpose and does just that purpose very well is really nice. Long post, sorry.
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/11/14 11:33 PM

I'll second the Dexter-Russel, while I don't use them for hunting that's all I use for fishing, they make the best oyster knives out there too. A bull red doesn't stand a chance with their serrated knife.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/12/14 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Southtexas36
I'll second the Dexter-Russel, while I don't use them for hunting that's all I use for fishing, they make the best oyster knives out there too. A bull red doesn't stand a chance with their serrated knife.

That's kinda' funny because I first found out about them through fishing the coast. For years I thought all they made was filet knives.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/12/14 12:51 AM

Loves me my Puma 5" locking blade. Solgeren steel is extremely easy to strike and get very, very sharp..
Posted By: JCB

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/12/14 01:14 AM

I bought a Mora MG HD last year just for a camp knife. Its pretty much become my "everything" knife now.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/12/14 02:09 AM

I have a bunch of knives that I like both customs and store bought. My favorite store bought is a kershaw knive that has three blades, a saw, a gut hook, and a regular blade. I also like using the knife that Kev made for me, and also one from Jason Fry. They are both work of arts and great knives.

Walter
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/13/14 12:11 AM

My Kershaw pocket knife gets the nod for unzipping deer and pigs. Caping goes to an old knife my granddad gave me. General butchering goes to a couple Dexter Russell white handled knives.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/24/14 08:04 AM

Kershaw folder EDC for me gets it done in the unzipping and quick gutting department. I have a Potts Loveless from on here that stays stupid sharp and is good at everything I've used it for. Great knives, he does a wonderful job with them.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/25/14 12:35 AM

I own several brands, but the Benchmade Barrage is on me everyday.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/25/14 01:08 AM

Anything found laying around the cleaning station will do the job.
Posted By: 300j

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/25/14 01:36 AM

This year I will be using my new custom stainless skinner made by Mr. Mike Conner. grin
Posted By: wetduck

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/25/14 03:00 AM

have carried a boker since 83, as a pocket knife used whatever one was in my pocket for a while.
bought a couple of Kimmos knives and love then both for fixed blade
but
tried the havalon and then was given a outdoor edge changable blade last year and have to say its great. its cheap and cheap looking but the blade change makes up for that. the havelon the only thing i dont like is the blade feels flimsy
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/30/14 12:28 AM

Love my buck 110. I have grown attached to a couple of neck knives I bought from member Gabe Ables. They really hold an edge. I skinned and quartered 3 pigs and 2 deer last year with my wifes pink knife! I was so impressed I bought 2 more.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/30/14 02:31 AM

Knives I make from grain drill disc and Bois d' arc, and a skinner I made from leav spring.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 07/31/14 01:31 PM

I have owned Gerber and Kershaw, Outdoor Edge. They are good knives and good value for what I paid. As you get older in life, you start to value your time more when you realize once it's gone it's never coming back. I finally bought some custom knives from knife makers here on the forum. They are well worth the difference in money if you value your time. With really good steel you can skin 2-3 animals without ever having to resharpen. More enjoyable using this type of knife and well worth the extra money. I would highly recommend S. Potts, Mike C., and Bush Monkey. There are other great knife makers on here as well that I have not bought from yet.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 08/02/14 12:51 PM

Put my customs up, although Pitchfork makes a great point above. Custom knives are so great, always have one on my hip, but never use it....Ha ha. BBQ Knife!! When it comes time to do the work, I reach into my back pack and use the knives below.

Used the first series Havalon, too flimsy, haven't tried their newer Piranha yet, looks promising.

I tipped the kid at the deer processor in Comfort $50.00 for taking care of a few deer for me last year. I commented on his Hunters Edge, replaceable blade knife, he said he had skinned a ton of deer with it and loved it.

When I went to pick my meat up, he gave me his knife !! So, I'll be using it this year. I love the way the blades change so easy on this scalpel sharp knife !!

I bought him a box of .35 Whelan rounds this year, stay tuned clap
Posted By: Jason Fry

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 08/18/14 07:39 PM

Go custom and you'll never go back.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 08/18/14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Bowhunt Only
I still use Buck Knives. The Buck Vanguard is a good, solid, all around knife. You can't go wrong. It comes in several styles and handle configurations. There's a shorter blade, and one with a gut hook. Wood handles or nonslip rubber handles, etc. Take your pick.

What I use too. Does what needs doing, gets a few passes on the steel and back into the sheath sharp as a razor for the next time.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 08/18/14 09:35 PM

BushMonkey
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 08/18/14 09:48 PM

I use a box knife with a hooked blade to open um up... works GREAT !!!
I have a new Havalon that I haven't rally got to use yet.

And a WIDE assortment of knives I use for different jobs.
Old Timer, Uncle Henery, Buck, Winchester and Remington.
I like them all for different reasons.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 08/19/14 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: jkf96a
Go custom and you'll never go back.

This! I never wanted a custom knife until i joined this forum, now no other knives compare. There are still good mass produced knives being made, but i havent kept up with them since getting my cutoms.
Posted By: tmkbdd

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 08/22/14 10:53 PM

Keith Murr.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 08/23/14 02:36 AM

Last year I purchased an Bark River Classic Light Hunter. Love this knife.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 08/23/14 04:41 AM

I use a skinner from Jason Fry, a general purpose gutter from Pancho. Use these on whitetail and hogs. I do have a set of Alaskans which are a great set as well. Every now and then I will use my 30 year old Anza, it has really good steel on it.
Posted By: Mikel H

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 08/24/14 02:04 AM

I second the Kershaw Blade Trader Jr. Bought one when I was 16 and still use it today. Has a regular blade, a saw, and a boning blade.
Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/03/14 01:35 PM

I use Forshner Victorinox 5" boning knife and a 6" curved skinner. You can get the two for under $50 This is probably what your processor uses.
Posted By: sevensixtytwo

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/04/14 05:16 AM

I have a silver stag for large work and then a few cold steel roach bellies and a finn bear for smaller stuff. The cold steels were only like $15 or something each and they are fantastic.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/04/14 01:59 PM

An older US made Gerber Gator or full-size Kbar.
Posted By: bradtown

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/07/14 12:59 AM

Chris Reeve sebenzas daily, CRK Nyala for hunting
Posted By: S Abbott

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/07/14 02:36 AM

i use the havolon also
Posted By: JBlack

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/10/14 04:44 PM

I purchased a Smith and Wesson game cleaning knife set on sale and i have been very impressed. Caper, larger blade with gut hook, and a cleaver. i got the set for 15 dollars on sale. Normally goes for 65 plus.
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/10/14 05:17 PM

Seal Pup,
Kbar original fighting knife,
Kersha Clash (EDC)
Spyderco Atlantic Salt fully serrated(my kayaking knife)
Any of the Moras
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/13/14 05:27 AM

havolon (so sharp it didn't hurt when I stabbed myself cleaning a hog... crazy)

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/13/14 01:41 PM

Havalon and an old filet knife

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/13/14 01:42 PM

Bushmonkey junkyard dog for real work
Posted By: Nivlac

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/13/14 02:27 PM

USMC Ka-Bar for me.
Posted By: cmc

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/13/14 03:18 PM

I suck so bad at sharpening knives I don't even try anymore. I do not gut critters so I take the huge gut hook in the Alaskan blade trader kit and hook just the skin and zip around the whole deer, up the legs down the middle and then take a Havalon and peel the skin off. I can be done from eating corn to cooler in minutes but hitting bone will dull the havalon fast so be careful.
Posted By: Red Bone 936

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 09/13/14 04:55 PM

Hands down Dexter-Russell knives!!
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: what knives are y'all using? - 10/04/14 04:52 AM

I use havalon when I can hang the animal. I have a buck knife with a gut hook if I have to quarter in the feild. A KBAR for knifing hogs. A high end Old Alaskan that never leaves my closet
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum