Texas Hunting Forum

Trail Camera problems...

Posted By: Boaty

Trail Camera problems... - 04/16/14 09:46 PM

I'm having trouble with my trail cam's pictures. It takes literally thousands of pictures of just the wind blowing on the grass and trees. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/16/14 10:00 PM

Limbs and tall grass probably to close to the sensor. Try moving it back or cutting some of the moving grass and limbs. The range on my sensor is about 30 yards so I keep mine at the farthest limit of the sensor. I still get some tree/grass movement on very windy days and lots of pictures but I think that just goes with the territory. Did you check the manual to see if there is a sensitivity setting for the sensor.
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/16/14 11:38 PM

As GR stated you may either change your sensitivity settings or eliminate grass and limbs. I usally try to clear the area in front of cameara atleast 20 yards or any wind susceptible items
Posted By: Boaty

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/17/14 01:41 AM

Yeah it's already on the lowest sensitivity. I can cut the grass but I guess there's nothing I can do about the trees. Also, there is nothing in front of the sensor. I just have it covering an field with tall grass surrounded by trees.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/17/14 02:24 AM

What do you have it mounted to?
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/17/14 02:50 AM

How high is it mounted and how wide is the sensing area of the camera. Mine is wide angle which picks up birds flying through the edge of the sensing area.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/19/14 03:27 AM

First of all, what camera is it? Then, how is it mounted?

If you have a Moultrie A5 (and what you describe sounds just like an A5), I can tell you that your problem is with the camera. I have two. They are practically plot-watcher cameras they trigger so easy. They do a good job of catching game, but get about 1000 extra pics as well. I can feed the pics into a video editor and make a stop-action animation movie of clouds going by during the day. At night, it does not trigger as often.

If mounted to a swaying tree, that can trigger the camera as well. If that is the case, pick a larger tree or use a T-post.

Cant the camera at a slight downward angle so as to not get so much in the way of tree limbs and sky.

You can try placing tape over the top half of the sensor (externally) to blind it from above motion such as tree limbs.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/21/14 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
First of all, what camera is it? Then, how is it mounted?

If you have a Moultrie A5 (and what you describe sounds just like an A5), I can tell you that your problem is with the camera. I have two. They are practically plot-watcher cameras they trigger so easy. They do a good job of catching game, but get about 1000 extra pics as well. I can feed the pics into a video editor and make a stop-action animation movie of clouds going by during the day. At night, it does not trigger as often.

If mounted to a swaying tree, that can trigger the camera as well. If that is the case, pick a larger tree or use a T-post.

Cant the camera at a slight downward angle so as to not get so much in the way of tree limbs and sky.

You can try placing tape over the top half of the sensor (externally) to blind it from above motion such as tree limbs.

I have a Moultrie A5 and it is literally driving me nuts!!! I have 4,000 pictures of nothing on my camera, it takes a picture every 5 minutes until the batteries die or the card gets filled.

What is the best way to reduce the sensitivity or at least fix it so it is somewhat functional?

I do not want to buy a new camera and I really don't have the money for it... But yeah, this thing is driving me up the wall!

By the way, mounted on a t-post facing north.

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/22/14 01:13 PM

I would still try taping part of the sensor.

By chance is your camera set on a 5 minute delay?

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/22/14 01:16 PM

If still under warranty, send it back.

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/22/14 02:26 PM

I would still try taping part of the sensor.

By chance is your camera set on a 5 minute delay?

Yes, it is on 5 minute delay.

Can't return, past the warranty unfortunately.

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/22/14 04:31 PM

What happens if you change to 1 minute? Will it then take every minute? Does it go off in a dark room with no motion? Easy test, put in closet for a while and see what happens.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/22/14 07:59 PM

I get a camera like that every once in a while. Clear all the grass, change the settings, etc...and I still get the runaway thing. And it gets worse as the days warm up. Download a few hundred pictures to your pc and rapidly flip through them. It becomes like a movie as the tree leaves/branches sway with the wind.

It is the nature of poor quality control with every brand.

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 04/23/14 03:33 AM

What happens if you change to 1 minute? Will it then take every minute? Does it go off in a dark room with no motion? Easy test, put in closet for a while and see what happens.

Tried the 1 minute delay and it went every minute. I will try the closet idea and see what happens.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 05/01/14 03:08 PM

I have a stealth cam that does the same thing. Woodpeckers pecked on the motion sensor and its done it ever since.

Re: Trail Camera problems... - 05/04/14 12:15 PM

Quote:
Tried the 1 minute delay and it went every minute. I will try the closet idea and see what happens.

Sounds like you now have a plot watcher camera. Sorry man. I know some people buy them for that purpose, if but that isn't what you want, it is a pain.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum