Texas Hunting Forum

Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems

Posted By: TXW

Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/12/12 03:34 PM

Any recommendations on a knife sharpening system? I have a stone sharpener; however, I am not able to get a sharp edge on a couple of older knives. My guess is that I don't have a way to keep a consistent angle.

Posted By: HogBranch

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/12/12 06:19 PM

Chiefs Choice electric sharpener is what I use. Once you get it sharp just a couple of passes through the fine edge slot and your knife will shave hair.

Makes it easy for someone like me that cannot use a stone.

Posted By: shock_n_awe

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/13/12 06:56 AM

I just ordered a chefs choice 120 and I'm excited to get it here tomorrow. I will let you know how it works out.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/13/12 10:10 AM

I'm hearing a lot of good things from professionals about the Chefs Choice M130.

Posted By: billybob

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/14/12 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: TXW
Any recommendations on a knife sharpening system? I have a stone sharpener; however, I am not able to get a sharp edge on a couple of older knives. My guess is that I don't have a way to keep a consistent angle.

I use the grinder with progressively finer belts then leather. I also use a Warthog...little pricey but you can shave your face after very little sharpening time.

Posted By: one66stang

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/14/12 03:11 AM

WorkSharp if you have electricity, Warthog if you dont.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/14/12 09:31 AM

I watched the Worksharp video and am impressed. Lots of types and prices. Which model do you have?

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/15/12 11:44 AM

I am the worlds worse knife sharpner..lol I usually take them to the gun show and have an edge put on by a vendor that does that. Maybe the electric is the way to go...hmmmm

Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/15/12 02:46 PM

Guys, I've got all types of sharpeners, stones, sticks, lanskys, chefs, and I can tell you the Worksharp for $69 is the best thing going. (there is basically only 1 model) You will get this thing in and sharpen every knife in your kitchen in one night. It has a belt system, like the gun show, and you change the grits on the belt from 220 grit to 6000 grit. You can even sharpen a ax or lawn mower blades. I also ordered extra belts from another company. This thing is amazing!!

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/15/12 09:41 PM

http://www.warthogsharp.com/

This is hands down the best knife sharpener there is.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/15/12 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson
http://www.warthogsharp.com/

This is hands down the best knife sharpener there is.

x 1000 Worth every penny.

Posted By: MyDogsHunt

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/28/12 03:18 PM

Just so's ya know.
After reading this thread and allot of follow up researching I ordered the WH Classic a few days ago.
Shipping was very prompt. (I like that)
It arrived yesterday, and to my surprise, the advertised Classic" is now the "Classic II".
I was a little ticked off because there's a serious difference in the two, including a Plastic center piece where the old model's were aluminum, and I'm NOT a big fan of plastic. (Yea I know all the arguments but I'm old and don't accept change very well frown )
I have to say though, that despite the one plastic part, after trying it out and comparing the two via their video I can see where it's a big improvement over the original.
Only tried it on a couple of old boning knives for practice so far, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far.
I'd say that there's definitely a place for it on my work bench, but I ain't throwing away my Hard Arky's just yet.

A nice piece for sure. Especially for hard use applications like the kitchen or skinning shed.
Add to that the fact that they seem pretty dedicated to their product and customers so far, and I'm happy. smile

Stay Safe
Charlie

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/29/12 11:45 PM

I am the worlds worst knife sharpner. Have been trying to find something easy that will put a good edge on a quality knife.

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/30/12 02:32 AM

Glad it worked for you....

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/30/12 02:44 AM

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/paper.htm

You can thank me later.
Took me about 10 seconds to learn how to use it. Sharpened my 1st 2 knives with it in about 60 seconds. I also use it to sharpen my Buds straight razor. Don't forget to hit it a few licks on the strop when done and your good to go.

Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 01/31/12 02:52 AM

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200431964_200431964

Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 02/11/12 11:28 PM

Lansky or Smith system to get the angle. After that, a wet stone.
I mean wet. I use vegatable oil. I just can not get into an electric dry system.

Posted By: MikeC

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 02/12/12 10:03 PM

I'll bet that if you had one of these at the deer lease you would be the most popular and busiest guy there.

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 02/12/12 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Tony
http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/paper.htm

You can thank me later.
Took me about 10 seconds to learn how to use it. Sharpened my 1st 2 knives with it in about 60 seconds. I also use it to sharpen my Buds straight razor. Don't forget to hit it a few licks on the strop when done and your good to go.

This set up is what all of the knife sharpener guys at trades days use. They work if you know how to use them.

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 02/12/12 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by TXW

Here is how I do mine but I have a 1X42 belt sander that I rigged up with a variable speed dc motor and controller so that I can slow it down so as not to build too much heat in the blade as you go.

Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 02/12/12 11:56 PM

Edge Pro. Very easy to use, and produces an excellent edge, even on very hard steel. The Apex model works fine, no need for the Pro, unless you are sharpening a bunch of knives at once.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

Posted By: BUDH

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 02/14/12 06:57 PM

Wicked Edge is probably the best one out there, but you're going to pay for it.

Posted By: Gacman

Re: Knife Sharpening Stones/Systems - 02/15/12 06:42 PM

$70 is the best price by $20 I've seen the knife sharpener to replace all others. Nothing is easier than this.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum